Search for content in message boards

orange county NY

orange county NY

Mary Fagan (View posts)
Posted: 30 Oct 2001 3:01AM GMT
Classification: Query
has anyone heard of "Little Brittian" in Orange County New York?

TX--Mary Fagan

re: Little Britain N.Y.

Posted: 30 Oct 2001 7:10AM GMT
Yes, its in the Town of New Windsor. Are you looking for something specific? http://town.new-windsor.ny.us/

Mary Fagan (View posts)
Posted: 30 Oct 2001 1:50PM GMT
Yes, - in researching my family Ross of Sussex County NJ -
who I believe to be my 1st Ross ancester to America first settled in Orange County NY (came from Scotland). I have a book of Ross family in NJ and a few times "little Brittian" is mentioned--and, the name Brittian (or Britton) is used as middle names quite a number of times-- was trying to determine where is came from and why. Thought it would help determine where in Orange county to check further & give me an idea as to why it's used as a middle name.

Thanks for your help.

Posted: 30 Oct 2001 7:39PM GMT
Hi Mary, Little Britain is in the western portion of New Windsor it was first settled by John Humphrey about 1724 it later became the point of settlement by many other families in 1729. Little Britain is also referred to as the start of the Presbyterian church as many families were of that faith. Old records will show Britian spelled in several varients. I have included some of the items I was able to find on the Ross family in the immediate area. Let me know if anything fits.

Anna Clinton b.7/26/1809 daughter of General James Clinton married 11/9/1830 a Lieut. Edward Ross of West Point. She died 12/11/1833. Anna and her family were part of the original group of settlers to Little Britain.

I also have a Mary A. Ross who married John Ellison he died in 1835 leaving sons Robert R. & Charles L.

A John Young 2nd also another early Little Britain settler who came with the Clinton party in 1729 had a son Isaac whose 2nd wife was Susanna Ross of Fayette County Pa. they had seven children Robert, Nancy, Isaac, Effy, Nelly, Joseph and Jane. His children by his first marriage were William, Sarah 2 other daughters names unk. William and his half-brother Isaac were partners together near Uniontown Pa. the remainder of the family seems to have moved to Kentucky. Isaac the father visited N.Y. in 1795 and was taken with yellow fever and buried in Potter's field.

From the Newburgh Gazette
Ross, Anna C d. in this village on Wednesday morning, Mrs. Anna C. Ross, wife of Lieut. Edward R. Ross and youngest daughter of the late General James Clinton aged 24 yrs.
Dec. 14, 1833 (* she is buried at Woodlawn Cemetery in New Windsor having been moved there from the Clinton burial ground in Little Britain)

Ross, Edward C. m. in this village on Tuesday the 19th inst. by the Rev. John Johnston, lieut. Edward C. Ross, Asst. Professor of Mathematics U.S. military Academy, to Ann Dewitt, youngest daughter of the late General James clinton. Nov. 13, 1830.

Ross, Mary m. Anthony Houston (no date)
Ross, Mary Mclean m. John F. Butterworth (no date)

Ross, William d. at his residence in the city of New york on Friday the 3rd instant, William Ross Esq.in the 55th year of his age, formerly of this village. Sept. 11, 1830

burail database
ROSS, ANNA CLINTON 12/11/1833 24 07/26/1809
MARRIED LIEUT, EDWARD ROSS 01/26/1830 DAU./ JAMES CLINTON WOODLAWN 8/17/1876

ROSS, ANNE HARRIET 1/13/1867 7 DAU. OF HENRY & JANE ROSS COVENANTER CHURCH

ROSS, CHARLES 11/1863 25 26TH REGT. N.Y. VOL.
WASHINGTONVILLE

ROSS, JAMES ALEXANDER 3/27/1855 21 SON OF JAMES & JANE ROSS COVENANTER CHURCH

ROSS, JANE 12/26/1855 64 WIFE OF JAMES ROSS
BORN KILLRAUGHT COUNTRY ANTRIM IRELAND COVENANTER CHURCH

ROSS, MARGARET JANE 7/18/1865 23 DAU. OF HENRY & ELIZABETH J. ROSS COVENANTER CHURCH

ROSS, MARIA ELIZABETH 2/3/1849 9 DAU. OF HENRY & ELIZABETH J. ROSS COVENANTER CHURCH

ROSS, MARY S 3/31/1812 26 WIFE OF WILLIAM ROSS ESQ, DAU. OF JOHN & ANN McLEAN
OLD TOWN - NO.5

ROSS, WILLIAM 9/3/1850 54 OLD TOWN - NO.5

Marriage Records New Windsor Presbyterian Church
4/26/1779 Humphery, Evans & Ross, Margaret

Members list Associate Reform Church Newburgh
11/9/1820 Ross, Jane widow

Marriage Records Vails Gate Methodist-Episcopal Church
7/25/1847 Ross, Edward S Brooklyn L.I.N.Y. Edwards, Catherine P Brooklyn L.I.N.Y.
location New Windsor Romer, James H official

Personal HistoriesCivil War from the Newburgh Telegram
Ross, James Benedict
Co. F 70th Regt. (Excelsior Brigade) was born in Demascus, Wayne County Penn. March 23, 1844, the son of William B and Mary (Marins) Ross. He resided for a time at Callicoon Depot, Sullivan County and from thence removed to Port Jervis where he enlisted Aug. 23, 1862. He was in action at Chancellorsville, May 3, 1863, Gettysburgh July 2, 1863, Wapping Heights, July 23, 1863 and in skirmishes at Fredericksburgh Dec. 12, 1862. He has not been absent from his regiment since his enlistment and has two brothers Jacob M. & Thomas D. Ross in the same company.

Mary Fagan (View posts)
Posted: 30 Oct 2001 8:26PM GMT
Thanks Glenn !!! I will hold onto this as I work to tie my family to others in Little Brittian / Orange Cnty NY.
What I have is a Donald Ross who came to America in about 1773, settling in Orange County first - with his wife and four children. I have one sons name William E.
The one I'm trying to connect to this family is William F.(my line !) he doesn't seem to be from this imediate family, but I believe he is tied to them , since - Wm E. bought 200 acrea in Haryston-Sussex Cnty NJ-where my William F lived and was buried (and where his children were born & died; as well many generations after - to this day) as well as some of William E.'s children and Donald himself (in a family / community cemetary). William E and William F are not the same, because I have their childrens names. I think my William F. may have came to Sussex Cnty to live with / near the Donald/William E family. It may be that Donald was an uncle. So, Im searching for a connection between other Ross' in/from Orange Cnty -- that would be Wm F.s siblings or parents. I need to find who Donald was connected to in Orange County - or find William F as living there before 1830 ( census shows him living in Hardyston as of 1830).

Leslie (View posts)
Posted: 26 Feb 2002 4:07PM GMT
Surnames: Ewing, forbes, Rusk, Ross, Van Duzer, White, Boyd , McCollam
I have a Mary Ross Rusk b. abt. 1863 and married a John Boyd. Her parents are we think a William Rusk and Jane White. Don't know how the Ross fits in but, do have Ross cuz that lived in Washingtonville, NY which is by Little Britain.

Re: orange county NY

Posted: 29 Jun 2002 5:50AM GMT
Mary, "Little Brittian" was a small community in the Town of Newburgh located on NYS routes 207 and bordering NYS route 300 or Union Ave. It is in the vicinity of stewart Internatinal Airport. I believe part of either route 207 or 300 is still called "Little Brittian Road".

P.S. you would not happen to be related to any of the Fagan family from Beacon, Ny in Dutchess County would you? My grandfather was Charles Fagan and we lived in Beacon until the 1960's.

Re: orange county NY

mary fagan (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jul 2002 2:05AM GMT
Frances---
I have tried to reply 2 times, and I don't see that it went through---so I'm trying again ---

First, thaks for the Litel Brittian info, this gives me a more specific area to check into.
As for a Charles Fagan---
Fagan is my husbands family name. His grandfather was Clarence Fagan, born 1893. He had three brothers that I know of---Thomas Leo (went by Leo), Michael TJoseph (went by Joe) and Charles (Charlie) - they were born / raised in
Brooklyn NY (Kings Cnty) as far as I am told. Their fathers was John J Fagan. All I know about Charles is that his wife's name (spuuosedly) was Nettie.
Think there is any connection? I haven't had any luck connecting to this Fagan line as of yet.

TX--Mary Fagan
e-mail: maryfagan@triad.rr.com

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions