Search for content in message boards

details of Ancestry DNA test

details of Ancestry DNA test

Posted: 3 May 2012 3:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Sep 2012 1:48PM GMT
Got the "Announcement" email a few minutes ago, and looked over the site. The information provided is based on on someone not knowing a lot about DNA testing, and I was just wondering if anyone had heard more details about the test. Is it SNP or STP based? How does it compare to, say, 23andme or FTDNA. I understand that a big part of the value is the integration into Ancestry, and the volume of potential matches that will bring, but what else should drive me to drop $99?

Re: Ancestry DNA

Posted: 3 May 2012 4:01PM GMT
Good questions.

(I got the email too (supposedly because I signed up to be notified of the avail of the test). So I got an email which got me excited, but upon reading it, and clicking on the link, it is more waiting.)

Posted: 3 May 2012 4:54PM GMT
I have the same questions as well. I have the notification email that the test is coming . Still waiting. Will this test actually combine maternal and paternal results so two separate tests are not needed?

Posted: 3 May 2012 6:12PM GMT
I actually think I can answer that one -- from the text of the website:

Our new AncestryDNA test uses some of the latest DNA autosomal testing technology as a more comprehensive way to find family across all lines in your family tree. So one test covers both sides—maternal and paternal—and is equally effective for both men and women.

So, yes, one test covers both mitochondrial and Y-chromosome info. Makes sense since most of the "one chip" sequencers out there do that now.

Posted: 3 May 2012 7:15PM GMT
Ok. Thanks. That's what I thought.

Posted: 3 May 2012 8:57PM GMT
I disagree. It is poorly worded by Ancestry. Autosomal is entirely different from Y-DNA and mitochondrial.

Posted: 3 May 2012 9:06PM GMT
Let's put it this way...

1). You get no actual markings that you can compared to other lab results
2). You get a list of Ancestry Member's you may be distantly related to.

When offered at $9.95 in November of 2011 it was a bargain.

When offered at $99.00 in April of 2012 it is, imho, overpriced.

Andy Hatchett
www.fhiso.org

Posted: 3 May 2012 11:58PM GMT
I appreciate that perspective, thanks. Best save my shekels for a more reliable service.

Posted: 4 May 2012 12:20AM GMT
Edited: 4 May 2012 12:21AM GMT
Wow! Thanks for the heads up. Almost shelled out the $99.

Posted: 4 May 2012 12:57AM GMT
It isn't that Ancestry's test is unreliable. It *is* reliable- for what it does.

The problem is that most people don't understand just what it does and the differences between it and the other types of DNA tests.

Andy Hatchett
www.fhiso.org
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions