Search for content in message boards

Rushfords of Williamstown or area

Rushfords of Williamstown or area

Posted: 11 Jan 2009 7:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Rushford, Tyo (Taillon)
I have been stumped looking for the family of my gg-grandmother Esther Rushford. I have her marriage record for 4 October 1865 in Williamstown to Joesph Tyo (Taillon). Joesph was born on Indian Lands, 2nd Conc. in 1843. The only information I have on Esther is that her father was Jean-Baptist Rushford. Alternate spellings for this name are Rochford and Nochford. I am certain the correct name is Rushford because a relative has my grandfather's original birth certificate. Her mother's name was Margaret. I can't make out her last name but it begins with what looks like Jud ---. I can't seem to locate her family of origin. It doesn't seem to be a popular last name in the area. Thanks.

Re: Rushfords of Williamstown or area

Posted: 11 Jan 2009 9:59PM GMT
1881 census Charlottenburg, Glengarry

Is this your family?

TYO
Joseph, 40, railway engineer
Ester C, 31
John A, 7
Thomas H, 5
Mary E, 3
Nelson I, 1.

This is the only Joseph/Ester combination on the census.

Ancestry.ca site is down right now so will look on it later one when it is back on line.

Posted: 12 Jan 2009 6:22AM GMT
On marriage of son, Henry Tyo,32,b about 1880,married 1912, mother's name is given as Esther Rochford.

There are 2 Joseph Tyos in Glengarry and both of their wive's names are Esther. Makes for some confusion!
Anyway, the 1881 census information that I gave you - on checking some of the children's birth registrations, mother's name was Esther Murphy so this family isn't yours.

I cannot see any birth registrations for children of Joseph and Esther Rochford/Rushford. Only the marriage for Henry.

Have you looked for a death registration for her? It may have parents on it.

Posted: 12 Jan 2009 5:27PM GMT
Thanks for your response. It was quite confusing when I first began researching the Tyo line. I didn't expect to find two sets of Esther and Joesphs but I have that all sorted out. I have records for Esther and Joesph's chidren, (my grandfather is amoung them) but I have found even with the names of the next generation down, I can't get any further. I did look for a death registration way back at the beginning of my search and there was one for a Mrs Tyo , wife of Joesph but there isn't enough information on it to determine if it is the correct one. No parents were listed on it. I haven't looked at those records for a while though, so maybe something will click. Thanks.

Posted: 13 Jan 2013 4:45PM GMT
I hope you find this posting as some years have passed. I am searching for Tyo relatives from Cornwall, Glengarry. I have a marriage record from St Columbans for Margaret Tyo & Donald Roach married 21 June, 1897. Margaret's parents are listed as Joseph & Esther (Tyo). I cannot find the correct Esther. Do you have any info on the Esther married to Jospeh Tyo who had a daughter Margaret (went by Maggie) that married Donald Roach my gg grandfather? Most of these folks in my family came from Indian Lands, Esther may be from Quebec also native lands.

Posted: 17 Jan 2013 1:36AM GMT
Hello

I apologize for taking so long to respond. I believe Esther Rushford is the mother of your Maggie. I have Maggie's baptismal record from ancestry.com. You can find it by looking up M. Taillon, Birth 1854-1872, Williamstown, Ontario. She was born 9 June 1872 and baptised on 23 June 1872. Her mother is named as Esther Rochfort. My aunt (who is also a Jodoin) told me that Donald died in a paper mill accident. My grandfather Alexander would be Maggie's brother. (His wife was also named Maggie) I am not currently a member of ancestry.com so I can't see what information you already have on the family of Joesph and Esther. The children I have records for are Alexander, Antoine, Margaret, John and Joesph (twins) and Mary Jane. I hope this helps.

Posted: 27 Jan 2013 3:37PM GMT
Thank you so much for responding. Locating the background for Maggie Tyo has turned into a full time job! The family believe she is Native Indian, but I doubt it. I agree, Esther Rushford is the mother of Maggie (family remember her going by Maggie). You are right, Donald was crushed in the paper mill. My Jodoin family remember it clearly. After his death, Maggie & family were very poor. An aunt tells me that Maggie had to manage with help of neighbours who gave them food. This must be the same family as yours. Twins must be in the family, as 2 aunts are also twins. I am an ancestry member & have the family tree on ancestry, I am sure it's public. Why don't you take a look at the Jodoin Family Tree & see if I am correct? I would really like to collaborate with you as this is obviously a family that we share. I appreciate your help, many thanks again. Angela Jodoin.

Posted: 24 Feb 2013 3:06PM GMT
Hello, Thank you for all your great info. Unfortunately, although I am a member of Ancestry & looking up a record should be easy.....I have not been able to locate the baptismal or birth records of Maggie Tyo/Taillon. Can you tell me how you located the record in Births 1854-72? I can't find that category. Many thanks, Angela
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions