Search for content in message boards

Women & unknown married names

Women & unknown married names

Posted: 24 Sep 2012 5:38AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Sep 2012 12:48PM GMT
Does anyone have a suggestion on how to locate info for female family members who may have been married but you have no idea to whom and there is no family left to ask? I've found many great aunts, cousins 1x removed, etc. and no way to gather further information. Thanks in advance, Emily

Re: Women & unknown married names

Posted: 25 Sep 2012 2:38AM GMT
One way is to check the obituaries of their siblings. Many times they are listed as relatives under either their married or maiden names.

Posted: 25 Sep 2012 5:49AM GMT
That's a good thought. Thank you :)

Posted: 12 Oct 2012 8:21PM GMT
What time period, because I have found several through ancestry.com's marriage licenses.

Posted: 13 Oct 2012 4:58AM GMT
Edited: 13 Oct 2012 2:56PM GMT
Back in the late 1800, early 1900's. I've had very little luck finding marriage licenses too. Almost all my family lived in New York. Maybe you can tell me the secret of your success? Many thanks for all your help.

Posted: 15 Oct 2012 4:03PM GMT
Honestly, it depends on the state and what they put out there (birth, marriage, death certs). I paid for the full ancestry membership this time, and I think it has made a difference. I seem to be able to connect people a lot easier than I did last year. If you want to give me a name and dob. location of birth I can see what I can find.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic