Search for content in message boards

Carter family Hawcreek Twp

Carter family Hawcreek Twp

Posted: 9 Mar 2010 7:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Carter, Powell, Ray, Glidewell
My husband, Dean H. Powell, passed away 10 Feb 2009. I am now working on putting his Carter family on his tree in ancestry.com.
Dean was the gg grandson of Wiley (Wilie sometimes) P. and Sarah Carter Powell. He was the ggg grandson of William and Mary Carter who were charter members of the Hawcreek Baptist Church.
I am now working on the family of Sarah's brother, Isaiah and Nancy Ray Carter. Want to talk to Kim Ray, hoping she is still at same e-mail address.
I have been reading some of the messages from Carter family members. I do have Kim Ray's book "Hawcreek Baptist Church A Tribute to Our Pioneers".
I noticed that Peggy Fleischmann had sent messages about James and Jehoda Wilson Carter. I have Jehoda's death certificate, has Hoda Carter died 26 Apr, 1896. She died near Hope, IN. In putting them in the ancestry.com an 1850 census popped up with James and Jehoda Carter both the correct age to be them. They are in Newcastle, Fulton County, IN.
James Carter 43
Jahoda 39 (born about 1811)
Children were Moses 18, William 16, Isaiah 13, John 11, Lewis 7, Elijah 4 and then Nancy 10.
Peggy, could this be your John? I have not been able to find James and Jehoda in census after that if them?? I have not looked for your John yet. You say he went to Kansas, then Indian Territory then on to Washington??
I live in Coffeyville, Kansas. William Powell and wife, Elizabeth Glidewell Powell moved near here and are buried in the Liberty Cemetery, Montgomery County, Kansas. I believe that John Glidewell's wife, Lucinda may have moved here too, need proof. All of the famaily trees has she died in Bartholomew County. Does anyone know if that Elizabeth Glidewell and John Glidewell are related?
John Carter born abt 1799 married an Elizabeth Glidewell in Franklin County. He was the s/o William and Mary Carter, charter members of Hawcreek Baptist Church.

Re: Carter family Hawcreek Twp

Posted: 10 Mar 2010 2:39AM GMT
Surnames: Carter, Baker, Davis
Hello,

Have some information the Carter's of Haw Creek, Bartholomew County, In

William Carter b. 1826 Bartolomew County, IN d. unk have him in 1900 census for Oklahoma Chickasaw shown as WD with his son Isaiah (Freeman) Carter and his two sons William & Jay. (William - his son of Isaiah Carter & Nancy Ray) - he married Mariah (Maria) Davis daughther of Jonathan Davis and Susannah (Baker) Davis Ross

Robert Carter b.1826 Indiana d.1885 Indiana is son of John & Elizabeth Glidewell Carter - Robert married Elsie Ann (Alcy) Davis daughter of Jonathan Davis & Susannah (Baker) Davis Ross

William & Robert Carter are 1st cousins and grandchildren of William Carter & Mary (unk) Carter from South Carolina

please contact me at jilsather@yahoo.com, I do have other information if interested.

Jil

Posted: 11 Mar 2010 4:37PM GMT
Kim Ray's current email is kimray3310@gmail.com.

Posted: 11 Mar 2010 5:48PM GMT
Surnames: Powell, Carter, Dunn
Thank you Donna, I have already found Kim. You probably don't remember me but you helped me so much with my husband's Powell, Carter and Dunn families when I first started searching in Bartholomew County. His roots were certainly there.
Marguerette

Posted: 11 Mar 2010 8:47PM GMT
I knew those family names were familiar--that was 15 years ago! Much has changed in our lives--and the world around us--in that time. My direct email is dkuhlman@bcremc.net (for now, changing this summer) but if you need anything local, let me know.
Take care,
Donna

Posted: 21 Mar 2010 1:18AM GMT
Hi all,
Sorry for jumping in late on this thread, but I work my regular job and part time during the tax season so not much time for genealogy until after Apr 15.

I have some info on this line-the Rays are related to the Essex by marriage. Sarah Pence Carter married into the Essex also. Basically, if you have relatives in Hawcreek Baptist Church, old St. Louis area or Hope Moravian and Hartsville, I'm somehow related on my mother's side.

Email me in April and I will share what info I have.

Thanks,
Diana catlvrbbw@aol.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic