Search for content in message boards

Isaac Vaarti and Mary Lundgren, Finland

Isaac Vaarti and Mary Lundgren, Finland

Posted: 25 Sep 2011 12:44AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Sep 2011 12:44AM GMT
Seeking info about Isaac Vaarti and Mary Lundgren, listed as parents on the death certificate of Jacob Vaarti, born 1899 in Finland, immigrated 1906, and died 15 March 1912 in Marquette, Marquette County, Michigan USA. I believe that they might also be the parents of Frank Vaarti (or Virta) born 1880 in Finland and died in Alger County Michigan. They are together in the 1910 census for Alger County.

Re: Isaac Vaarti and Mary Lundgren, Finland

Posted: 29 Sep 2011 8:12PM GMT
Hello!
I've been doing some searching, and, I found that Jacob was born 1890 not 1899...On his marriage record he was 19 years old when he got married in Chatham, MI on 15 Dec 1909...then he died in Marquette, MI at the age of 22 on 15 March 1912. I also found some confusing things about Isaac..I found an Isaac Jr. Vartti born 1878, whose parents were Isaac Vartti and Mary Lundgren, he supposedly married a Maria Piifpa?(spelling?) on the same date as Jacob in 1909, when Jacob was supposedly married to Maria Piifpa? Then, there is a Lillian H. born in 1912 whose parents are Isaac Vartti and Maria Puppo?(spelling?)....Lillian married an Orho Aho, age 35, on 31 May 1947....then, more confusing, an Isaac Antton Vartti, born 1878, listed on a draft notice in 1942....he would've been 64 years old!!They were all located in Alger County. Also, I can't find a Frank(Frans) who you say was born in 1880, which would've been 2 years after his father Isaac was born. Something is obviously wrong with these dates.

Posted: 29 Sep 2011 9:01PM GMT
Thank you for your message. I am usually more careful in my searching, I'll go back and do more checking. My cousins have given me most of this information as Frank Virta and Hilja Makela were their grandparents. I just talked to them about much of this so I will go back "to basics". I know that I questioned where Frank was in 1920 as Hilja and family, although she was listed as married, were living without him. He is found in the Negaunee Sanitorium where my cousins said that he suffered from an illness, they thought was Black Lung, dying in 1921-22 They also said that they were told that the last name was something like Vartilinen when they were in Finland. Thanks again, Theresa

Posted: 29 Sep 2011 11:25PM GMT
I am not finding any marriage for Jacob Vaarti. I find him with Frank (he is 21, Frank is 30) in the 1910 census (their last name is recorded as Voarti) in Rock River, Alger County, Michigan and then his death in Marquette Michigan (about 35 miles from there in 1922. I keep searching but can't seem to find a marriage recorded. Theresa

Posted: 29 Sep 2011 11:26PM GMT
Correction.....Jacob's death was in 15 March 1912, not 1922, in Marquette

Posted: 30 Sep 2011 1:54PM GMT
Hello again from the windy, rainy Upper Peninsula of Michigan,
I want to apologize for saying I had found Jacob's marriage record! I don't know why I said that! After all, it clearly lists him as single when he died....I'm so sorry for making such a stupid mistake.

Posted: 30 Sep 2011 2:20PM GMT
Where in the UP do you live? I am in Manistique but am searching for my cousins part of the family. Theresa

Posted: 30 Sep 2011 2:45PM GMT
I supposed that Vaarti in not right name, Vartti is a lot better.
a) Piifpa?(spelling?)
b) Puppo?(spelling?)
Not looked but I think this must be
a) Piispa (old wy to write s was a lot like f "now"
b) Puppo is not common Finnish name, Piippo is.
And, 64 is not a lot for Finnish men...

Posted: 30 Sep 2011 2:47PM GMT
Hello again,
I live in Ishpeming, so when I see a message mentioning someplace in the U.P., I always try to help, if possible. I just looked in the phone directory, and, there is an Anita Vartti, she lives in Skandia....also, there is a business listed as Vartti Builders in Wetmore, near Munising. But, I assume you know this already.

Posted: 5 Oct 2011 4:03PM GMT
Hi,

here is a possibility: I found the following family in Siikainen, Finland: Isak Svartti and Maria Lundgren were married in 1870: http://www.sukuhistoria.fi/sshy/kirjat/Kirkonkirjat/siikaine... (first couple on the second page). There Isak's name is just Isak Johansson but the name Svartti is in the communion books, eg: http://www.sukuhistoria.fi/sshy/kirjat/Kirkonkirjat/siikaine.... They had a son, Jacob Rikard, born in 1887 and there is a passenger record for Jaakko Rikhard Wartti from Siikainen: he traveled on "Corinthian" on December 7, 1905, destination Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada. He is found in the Ancestry.com collection "Canadian Passenger Lists, 1865-1935" as "Jakko Wartti", destination Newberry, Michigan.

Jacob had a brother Frans Petter but I doubt if he is Frank Vaarti: Frans Petter was born in 1874 - it seems that he did emigrate to the U.S. but under the name Frans Petter Järvenpää (he arrived on September 15, 1905 in Montreal or Quebec, destination Rudyard, Michigan).

Jacob also had a brother Isak Anton, born 1878. I did not find a passenger record for him though.

I attach an image from the church book for 1884-1893 where you can see the whole family.

What do you think?

Kari
Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions