Search for content in message boards

Sir Thomas John Watson and his family, Virginia and Tennessee

Sir Thomas John Watson and his family, Virginia and Tennessee

Posted: 27 Jul 2003 4:29AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Chase, Pemberton, Bosley, Watson, Sherrill, Shipp, Townsend, Hughes, Pleasant, Farthing, Shelton, Bennett, Hayden, Bowman, Thomason, Smith, Towler, Harrison, Logan,
I am looking for more information and maybe some claification as well on Sir Thomas John Watson. My information comes for 'Watson Family Tree Record back to 1730s' which was based on the one Walter Casey wrote. This one retold by Waldo Been Sherrill. This information is on my mother's side of the family.

I'm going to include in this everything that I have on this side, hopefully some one else will find a link or some of the information will prove helpful to some one else.

Sir Thomas John Watson (my ancestor), who according to famaily tradition, was an Admiral in the English Navy. He was born in Scotland and came to America in the 1730s. No further information on Birth or death where in Scotland is currently known, any help there would be nice :). He was married to a widow that had 3 children from a previous marriage. She lived in Hanover County, Virginia, and was referred to as the 'Widow of Hanover' throughout Watson History. Her name has not been properly ascertained to the complete satisfaction of the family historians, but much evidence indicates that she was Euphemia Townsend (my ancestor).

This union according to evidence recorded in his will, produced six children: John Abishua Watson (married Mildred Hughes), William Bearskin Watson (married Martha Pleasant on 2/17/1767), Grisell Watson (married Joel Farthing), Ceziah Watson (married Samuel Hughes), and Arphileda Watson (married Thomas T. Townsend).

John Abishua Watson (my ancestor) and his wife, Mildred Hughes (my ancestor) of Harpen Creek, VA hand the following children: Henry Townsend Watson, John Saul Watson, Abishua Watson (married Sally Ann Watson, his first cousin, on 11/20/1804), Thomas Watson, Malinda Watson (married her first cousin Thomas Junior Watson 9/15/1800), Samuel Hughes Watson (his wife's first name was Martha), and William Huntley Watson (married Jane Shelton).

John Saul Watson (my ancestor) was born 5/15/1777 in Lecenburg (spelling?), Virginia and died in the winter of 1845 of fever in Putnam County, TN. He was married to Lucy Smith (my ancestor) . This union produced the following: Ben F. Watson, Jabez Smith Watson, Thoms Townsend Watson (married Sabra Bennett on 2/11/1834), Mary Elizabeth Watson (married Ike Allen), Lucy Malinda Watson (married John S. Hayden), Syrena May Watson (married Robert Robertson), Belinda Watson (married Robert Hughes), and John Saul Watson, Jr (married Agness Bowman of Fentress County, TN). There may have been more children, according to the paper it states that evidence indicates that there were 10 children.

<Lucy's parents were George Smith and Delilah Thomason (married on 10/2/1782).>

John Saul Watson was a preacher of sorts, he was referred to as Rev. John Saul Watson. He was also an Elder in the Primitive Baptist Church.

Thomas Townsend Watson (my ancestor) was married to Sabra Bennett (my ancestor) on 2/11/1834.

<Sabra Bennett's parents were James Lewis Bennett and Mary Endora Towler. James Lewis Bennett was a soldier in the War of 1812, His father, James Bennett was a soldier in the American Revolution. His paternal Grandparents were William Bennett and Hannah from Wales.

James' parents were James Bennett and Jane Harrison.

Mary's parents were Joseph Towler and Francis.

Jane Harrison's parents Lytha Logan and Ben Harrison.>

The union of Sabra Bennett and Thomas T. Watson produced the following children: Cptn. Mackey Hughes Watson (married Sarafine Sliger 12/17/1857), Henry Thomas Watson, John Coleman Watson, Jackson Randolph Watson, Thomas Townsend Watson Jr, Scirenia (Serena) Jane Watson, Benjamin Franklin Watson, Mary Elizabeth Watson, George Smith Watson, and James Bennett Watson.

Serena Jane Watson (my ancestor) married William Jackson Sherrill (my ancestor) 08/6/1862. This union produced the following children: Lydia B. Sherrill born 2/14/1883, Craven B. Sherrill, Sarah Jossie Sherrill, William T. Sherrill, John W. Sherrill, George Samuel Sherrill, James M. Sherrill, Siddie B. Sherrill, and Frank Mark Sherrill.

Lydia B. Sherrill (b. 2/14/1883 Trenton, Texas; d. 5/25/1960 Sherman, TX) (my ancestor) married Lorenzo Barto Shipp (b. 9/1/1870 Barto County, GA d. 11/18/1956 Sherman, TX) on 10/13/1903 in Blue Ridge, Texas.

Their daughter, Vivian Dale Shipp (unsure if any other children) was born on 8/27/1904 in Commerce, TX. She married Robert Lester Pemberton (b. 6/1904 Greenville, TX; d. 8/12/1996 Sherman, Grayson, TX) on 6/4/1929 in Sherman, TX. Vivian died on 8/15/2000 in Sherman, Grayson, TX.

Their son, my grandfather on my mother's side is Dale Pemberton, born 4/28/1934, in Dennison, Texas. He married Mary Diane Bosley (b. 4/11/1934 St. Marys, Auglaiz, Ohio) on 1/9/1954 Ardmore, Oklahoma.

My mother and their daughter is Lisa Anne Pemberton, b. 9/14/1957 in Freeport, Illinois. She married, my father, David Russell Chase (b. 2/18/1954) in Kansas on 4/23/1976. Any addl information would be helpful. I am also rsching the Pemberton line and my father's mother who is a Riley.

Thank you, Kristin E. Chase

Re: Sir Thomas John Watson and his family, Virginia and Tennessee

Lois Johnson (View posts)
Posted: 2 Aug 2003 6:05PM GMT
Ms Chase - Having researched the John WATSON m Grissel of Louisa, Halifax and Pittsylvania Cos., VA who wrote his will:

22nd October 1794, Proven 19th April 1802, Pittsylvania Co., Will Books, pg 242

rather extensively - I can offer no evidence that he was an Admiral in the British Navy nor that he was a Knight of the British Peerage.

If indeed he was entitled to the use of "Sir" before his name then a record of his Investiture would be found in the English Peerage Records.

If he were an Admiral in the British Royal Navy the British Admiralty Records would be able to prove his appointment to that high station.

Respectfully - Lois Jennings Johnson

Posted: 24 Sep 2003 11:26AM GMT
I am a descendant of the Watson family in Putman Cty Tenn. My grandfather was Claude Benjamin Watson. His father, grandparents, etc, are all buried in the Watson Cemetary in Tn. I know the names John Saul and Lucy. I know one daughter of John Saul ran away to Texas and her descendants I think live in Utah. I am interested in learning my grandfather's mothers name. He was born out of wed lock and raisws by the Watson family. This was not discussed when I was a child and really not discussed now. But my grandfather was a good, kind man who raised 9 children. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted: 13 Dec 2009 10:08PM GMT
You wrote Lucy is Delilah's daughter. Do you have verifiable documentation? Will you share?
cass123@zoominternet.net

Posted: 13 Dec 2009 10:08PM GMT
You wrote Lucy is Delilah's daughter. Do you have verifiable documentation? Will you share?
cass123@zoominternet.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic