Search for content in message boards

Samuel and Lydia Stewart

Samuel and Lydia Stewart

Monte N. Stewart (View posts)
Posted: 13 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Stewart
We seek to know the origins of Samuel Stewart and his wife Lydia (maiden name unknown).

The first records of Samuel and Lydia place them on Linville Creek in Augusta (now Rockingham) County, Virginia, by 1749. In 1757, Samuel received a grant from Lord Granville for land on the Yadkin River in Rowan (now Yadkin) County, North Carolina and relocated his family there, probably in 1760. Samuel died in 1770. Lydia died in 1772. Children: David, Samuel, John, Joseph, Isaiah and Benjamin and probably some daughters. Samuel's sister (name unknown) married William Mark.

Samuel and Lydia have been the subjects of intense genealogical interest on occasions over the past fifty years. They were the subject of articles in The Stewart Clan Magazine (June 1950 and November 1938) and of a bulletin by Harry Willard Mills, Stewart Research Bulletin No. 1 (Descendants of Samuel and Lydia Stewart) published sometime before 1950.

Researchers have advanced two different theories regarding the origins of Samuel and Lydia. The Stewart Clan Magazine speculated that Lydia was a Harrison and that Samuel was the sone of David of Sussex County, Delaware, who was the son of Dr. John Stewart and his wife Elizabeth Alburtis, of Long Island (Nassau and Queens), New York, then of Monmouth County, New Jersey, then of Sussex County, Delaware (Stewart Clan Magazine, May 1950). More recently, some have opposed this theory and advanced the alternative theory that Samuel and Lydia came from Ireland, as did other Stewarts who settled in Augusta County, Virginia at approximately the same time Samuel and Lydia first appeared there.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Samuel and Lydia Stewart

Posted: 5 Nov 2013 5:43AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi,

My name is Patsy Renfro and I am also researching this branch of Stewarts. Please see info. below.

I believe Lydia's last name is Harrison and I have documentation. Below is who I believe are John Stewart's parents. I am also looking at the list compiled by Donald Whyte to see if there are any other possible parents.

Alexander Stewart

1651-1652--Arrival to Mass.--Age 11 or 16?
A Dictionary of Scottish Emigrants to the USA. Vol. 1, Baltimore: Magna Carta Book Co., 1972. 504p. 2nd pr., 1981

1656-1665--Land granted to Alexander Stewart
First Records of Marlsborough, Mass. From 1656-1665, pg. 47

1662-Married Hannah Templar.
Massachusetts, Town and Vital Records, 1620-1988
Charlestown, Mass.

1675--On Record Charlestown, Mass.
From: Directory of Ancestral Heads of New England Families, 1620-1700.
1688-Moved to Marlsboro, Mass.
From: Directory of Ancestral Heads of New England Families, 1620-1700.
1688-Married Deborah Rediat
Early Massachusetts Marriages Prior to 1800, Vol. III--Sudbury, Mass.
6 Apr 1731--Death
Vital records of Marlborough, Massachusetts, to the end of the year 1849
I have more information and sources on my Ancestry.com site. You should be able to do a search for member: Patsy Renfro and find my research.

Please let me know if you find any problems with my research. After awhile I feel that I might overlook something since I have reviewed it so much.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions