Search for content in message boards

Chatham Township Cemetery

Chatham Township Cemetery

Posted: 25 Dec 2007 2:06AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cousins, Horner
An old obit (1916) from "The Lachute Watchman" indicates that Caroline Emma Cousins was buried in Ogdensburg Cemetery in the township of Chatham, Argentuil. A church record from 1908 lists her mother as having been buried there also. Other Baptist church records list Ogdensburg as part of Chatham Township, specifically as the residence of Ralph Horner. Where is the Ogdensburg Cemetery located and what part of Chatham was termed Ogdensburg in the late 1890's and early 1900's? Thanks for whatever help anyone can give me re: this location!

Re: Chatham Township Cemetery

Posted: 26 Dec 2007 1:43PM GMT
Surnames: Cousins, Horner
Hi.

I hope you will receive a better response than mine. I am unfamiliar with the Ogdensburg Cemetery. You could consider calling or e-mailing the Quebec Family History Society on or after January 3rd. Their Web address is http://www.qfhs.ca/index.html.

Bonnie

Posted: 9 Jan 2008 4:03AM GMT
Surnames: Odgensburg, Cousins, Horner
The Odgensburg Cemetery is in Chatham Twp., Argenteuil County, Quebec. It is situated off route 148 on a country road. I have a listing of the stones recorded in 1978.

Stone #84 "Caroline E Cousins died Feb 20 1916 in her 42nd year. Erected by sister Jennie."

Stone #81 "Ralph Horner Sept 22, 1860 - May 6, 1945. Wife Catherine Blair Aug 23 1870 - May 23 1907, Annie Ellen McMeekin wife of Ralph Horner 1875 - 1961.

Posted: 9 Jan 2008 4:55AM GMT
Surnames: Cousins
Thank you so much for this information. In the list of stones that you have from 1978, is Richard Cousins' (Caroline E. Cousins' father) inscription listed? Richard Cousins was born c. 1844 and I do not have a death date for him. Again, many thanks for responding to my query.

Posted: 9 Jan 2008 5:05AM GMT
Surnames: Cousins, Gauley
Stone #87 "Richard Cousins died Sept 11 1920 aged 76 yrs. wife Elizabeth Gauley Dec 18 1849 - May 14 1908.

Stone #85 "George F. died Mar 7 1903 aged 22 yrs 6 months & 7 days, son of Richard & Elizabeth Cousins"

Stone #86 "Edith adopted daughter of R & E Cousins died July 28 1900 aged 16 years 8 months & 28 days"

Posted: 9 Jan 2008 5:21AM GMT
Many thanks for this information. Would it be possible for you to provide the title and authorship of the source you used for your responses to my query? It would be appreciated.

Posted: 9 Jan 2008 5:32AM GMT
The tombstone inscription were recorded by Mrs. Jean Mott (nee Jean Marion Isabel Gunn) who lived near Brownsburg, Chatham Twp., Argenteuil Co., Quebec. Unfortunately she passed away 15 Oct 2004 in Hawksbury Ontario.

My name is David Murdoch, and when I was younger we used to say that I was related to everyone in Dalesville, half of Brownsburg and a third of Lachute. I still have many relatives there. a3a80877@telus.net

Posted: 10 Jan 2008 6:30PM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Surnames: McKenzie Murdoch
Dear David et al,
I can believe that however, am wondering what road this cemetery is on (how does one find it) and whether it is the one that the OGS refers to as Edina?
Sincerely,
Mr. David Oltmann

Posted: 10 Jan 2008 7:00PM GMT
Surnames: Murdoch, Calder, Carr, Campbell
No they are two different cemeteries.

The easiest way to reach the Ogdensburg Cemetery is go south from Brownsburg on route 327. Turn right (west) at the Staynerville ouest and continue on through Staynerville until you reach Ogdensburg.

Edina is 2 miles off (west) of route 327 going north from Brownsburg, just before you get to Pinehill.

Hope this helps.

David Murdoch keamfarm@telus.net

Posted: 11 Jan 2008 12:23AM GMT
Surnames: McKenzie Murdoch
Dear David,
It would help a whole lot more if some mighty queer politician had not decided to efface all trace and remembrance of the English place names so that one has to depend so much on gossip and hearsay to find them.
Thank you. Much appreciated.
Sincerely,
Mr. David Oltmann
per page

Find a board about a specific topic