Search for content in message boards

Thos., Martha J., or Salina Palestine Hooker

Thos., Martha J., or Salina Palestine Hooker

Kathy Glasscock Bahlmann (View posts)
Posted: 25 Sep 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cavitt, Dozier, Seay, Hooker, Shellnut
I am looking for the parents of Thomas Hooker b 20 Feb. 1820, m. Martha J. ____. Their daughter, Salina Palestine Hooker was my gggrandmother. She was born in MS. 9 Jan 1851 and died in Duffua, Erath Co.,TX on 31 Oct. 1934. She was married to Thomas Jones Dozier, d. 26 Jun 1918 Duffua, Erath Co.,TX. There daughter was my ggrandmother Mary Florrey Dozier, who married Richard Andrew Cavitt. Their daughter, my grandmother, was Ruth Ann Cavitt who married Lucian Glasscock of Bosque Co.,TX. I would love to hear from anyone researching any of these lines.
Kathy Glasscock Bahlmann

Dozier Hooker

Randy L Dozier (View posts)
Posted: 12 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Dozier, Hooker
Erath County
looking for parents of Thomas Hooker
born in Tenn 1820
wife Martha J born Ala 1850
Also parents of Thomas Jones Dozier born 1848 Missori
father born in Alabama mother in Georgia

Dozier, Hooker

Posted: 4 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 26 Jun 2001 3:41AM GMT
Surnames: Dozier, Hooker
Randy, The parents of Thomas Hooker who was married to Martha Dement were Thomas Hooker, born 1778 in Tennessee, of Welsh descent and died 1831 and wife Sarah Walker who was born in Tennessee and of Irish descent and died in 1860 in Texas. The parents of Thomas Hooker and Sarah Walker were original families of Virginia and North Carolina. The parents of Martha J. Dement were Wiliam Justice and Eliza Norwood. Martha J. Dement was a widow when she married Thomas Hooker.
Thomas and Martha J. Dement Hooker settled in Erath County, Texas (Duffau) in 1854.

Re: Dozier Hooker

Tom Grice (View posts)
Posted: 3 Mar 2002 4:55AM GMT
Surnames: DOZIER CRESWELL
Randy, Sorry I can't be of any help to you but perhaps you can help me.
I am trying to trace parents of William A. Dozier (a.k.a. W.A. Dosier) who married Sallie Marie Creswell on 2 Nov. 1884 in Erath Co. William is my ggrandfather. I believe he was born in 1865, possibly in MS. Sallie's folks were from TN. Could there be a connection to your Doziers? Can't imagine there were too many of them in Erath at that time.

Re: Thos., Martha J., or Salina Palestine Hooker

Posted: 23 Jun 2002 7:23PM GMT
Thomas Lafayette Dozier
Salina Palestine Hooker
ch. Henry Isaac Dozier
b. 18 Aug 1888, Duffau, Erath Co. TX
md. Dora Mae Traylor
b. 15 Aug 1892, Chalk Mtn., Erath C. TX
d. 18 Apr 1983, bd Waco Memorial Park
Henry died in 1968, Waco, TX
ch. Theda
ch. Howard
ch. Cloma
ch. Thelma
Thelma Dozier md. Harold Bess "Hal" Shumate
ch. Don Pat
ch. Betty Jean
ch. Harold Bess Jr. "Bud"
ch. Connie
Connie Shumate md. Martha Carolyn Armstrong
ch. Donna
ch. Debbie
ch. Connie
Ch. Robert
My name is Connie Shumate Foust, my great great
grandfather is Thomas Lafayette Dozier and
Salina Palestine Hooker is my great great grand-
mother. Henry my great grandfather was a train
engineer he died when I was 4 yrs old. I remember
the train would drop him off at his house which
backed up to the tracks just outside of Waco.
He dressed in blue and white pin stripped overalls
with a hat to match. My great grandmother lived
with her daughter Theda until April 1983 when she
passed away, my grandmother followed in May 1983
of Cancer. They are buried in Waco Memorial Park.
Theda passed away in November of 2001, she is buried
next to my grandmother. My grandfather "Hal" passed
away when my father was 12, he died in a plane crash.
My mother and I have written a book on the Shumates.
We included very little information about the Doziers.
I am reseaching them myself. Mainly the Doziers.
I have found a group of Doziers living in Mississippi
in 1850. I think my gr gr grandfather could possibly
be the son of Richard H. Dozier in Jasper Co. pg 59
of the 1850 census. I will write you back if I find
our anything else.

Posted: 14 Oct 2002 4:48PM GMT
There is a William Dozier of Tarrant County, but I don't know if there is a relationship here. According to Tarrant County Tax Records, he owned 320 acres of land here in 1855.

There is a Creek here called Dozier Creek, and there was also a Dozier School and Cemetery. The school still lives on, but the name was changed to Wayside over a century ago.

Does anyone have information on the Doziers who settled here in Tarrant County in the 1840's? That information would be much appreciated and would give "closure". Thanks!

Tom Grice (View posts)
Posted: 4 Nov 2002 3:27AM GMT
Surnames: Dozier Dosier Doser
Thanks for your response. I'm aware of Dozier Creek and School and Dozier Cemetery but, sadly, there's little to be learned. All I've been able to find out is that there are no Dozier's in Dozier Cemetery. Apparently, there was a farmer named Dozier who owned the land that Dozier Creek is on and hence the name. However, I can find nothing on this farmer. There seems to have been a small settlement there at one time that led to the name of the school and cemetery, but there's precious little evidence as to the actual history. Good luck, let me know if you find anything. Tom

Re: Re: Thos., Martha J., or Salina Palestine Hooker

Posted: 2 Nov 2007 4:40PM GMT
Surnames: Traylor and Shumate
Hello, I'm inyerested in the Dora mae Traylor and Shumate information you have. My Grandmother Traylor was a Shumate. Please reply Jimmie

Posted: 17 Mar 2008 3:38PM GMT
Surnames: Traylor, Jarrell, Shumate, Dozier
I have been working on the Traylor family for a short while.
That side of the family was always a mystery. This is what I have. Thomas Lafayette Traylor, b. in Tennesee married 3 times. Mrg 1: Mary Shumate he is listed with her in the 1880 census of Jackson Co. TX. "T.L. Traylor" w/2 ch. Mrg 2:
My great great grandmother Willie Emma Jarrell (Dora May Traylor Dozier dau. - my great grd mthr)lived in Chalk Mtn not far from Duffau, TX. 3rd marriage came after
their divorce. To a Gertrude b. 1884 AL they are on the
1910 census in Navajo, Jackson Co., OK. Thomas Elliott ch. from his 1st marriage is there as well with his family.
I have never found a marriage certificate or a 1900 census
with Thomas Lafayette or Thomas Elliott (1920- Montague Co. TX) Sometimes the name is spelt Traylor/Trailor/Trailer.
I always assumed Gertrude remarried after T.L.'s death. I could not locate his gravesite in Navajo, OK.

Posted: 17 Mar 2008 9:07PM GMT
Surnames: Thos, Martha J.or Salina Plaestine Hooker
Hello again one of my Aunts told me several times that her old Grandad was a rounder. She said there were several step--kids, but could'nt remember who they were. I was unable to find anything except where he married Willie Jerrell and now up pops Gertrude.I have tried several times to find where he was buried it's somwhere in Johnson County. I think Mary#1 is buried in Rio Vista can't find it in the Cemetary listings. My mother was to have a brother named Samuel buried wherever Thomas L is. ( died in 1913 ). I see now it is Dora Mae you are connected to I think you have a lot of information I could use and maybe you can use.HURRY-- lets talk Jimmie
per page

Find a board about a specific topic