Search for content in message boards

Seeking complete list of children of Hannes (John) Van Buskirk and Elizabeth Bartholomew

Seeking complete list of children of Hannes (John) Van Buskirk and Elizabeth Bartholomew

Posted: 28 May 2010 5:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Van Buskirk
I’m seeking any and all information on the children of Hannes (John) Van Buskirk and his wife Elizabeth Batholomew (and any other wives if they existed) to try to prove/disprove Michael VB as a son of this John VB. The Michael VB in question is my ancestor.

The consensus information appears to be:
Hannes (John) Van Buskirk, b 10 Feb 1743 or 1744, New Jersey
Elizabeth Batholomew, b abt 1746, Virginia
I do not have any documentation for this.

There appear to be many researchers who have identified their ancestors as children of this couple, but I don’t know what documentation exists for this. Some researchers have shown up to eight children for this couple:
1. Peter, b1769, MD
- Marries Ruth Rhodes, has 8 children,early settlers in Pickaway Co, OH
2. Elsey, b1771, MD
- Apparently an estate record of John VB shows Elsey living in Pickaway Co, OH in 1816
3. John Jr, b1774, MD
- He spends some time in Ohio, but then settles down and dies abt 1838 in Madison, Co, IN
4. Thomas, b1776, MD
- Apparently an estate record of John VB shows Thomas living in Pickaway Co, OH in 1816.
5. Mary (Polly), b 1780, MD
6. Samuel, b1878
7. Anna, b1788, MD
8. Michael, b1789, MD – This is the primary person/link that I’m trying to understand.
- Marries in Ohio in 1810

In scanning previous postings, I understand that Mrs. Shoemaker’s classic genealogy work on the Van Buskirks only contains a few (3 or 4) of the children of this John and Elizabeth. I haven’t yet seen the reference in the book (nearest copy is about 3 hours away). I am assuming that she listed only 3 or 4 children because that’s all the information she was able to collect on that particular line.

So are there probate, marriage or other records, or church or family Bible records out there that show any links either between these possible siblings or with these eight and John and Elizabeth?

I’m still very new at this and I really appreciate those of you who have been digging at these kinds of questions for many years. I can’t possibly imagine how much more difficult this was 20 years ago (or even when Mrs. Shoemaker complied her work)!

Most sincerely,

Dave Cain
Cincinnati, Ohio

Re: ANSWERED - Seeking complete list of children of Hannes (John) Van Buskirk and Elizabeth Bartholomew

Posted: 25 Aug 2010 10:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Van Buskirk
Consider this query answered, thanks to a veteran researcher from Indiana who helped me!

Land deed records in Pickaway Co Ohio and in Allegany Co MD sufficiently establish (to my satisfaction) that the Michael VB referred to in another posting from 8 Mar 2001 is the same Michael who is the son of the VB referred to by Mrs. Shoemaker as Hannes (John) VB, whose wife was Elizabeth Bartholomew (per Mrs. Shoemaker).

The birth dates in my earlier posting have not been confirmed, but the EIGHT children’s names are confirmed (spouses names are provided for additional perspective)

1. Peter (m Ruth Rhodes)
2. Elsey,(m James Jordan)
3. John Jr, (m Jane Workman, then Juda Clifton)
4. Thomas, (m Ruth Haines)
5. Mary (m Charles Longberry)
6. Samuel (m Ann Hull)
7. Anna (m Job Clifton)
8. Michael (m Juretta Clevinger)

Seven of the eight children, in addition to Hannes John Sr, appear to have moved to Pickaway Co from Allegany Co MD, with some venturing further west (IN and IL). Samuel VB appears to have remained in Allegany Co and dies there.

Dave Cain
Cincinnati, Ohio
per page

Find a board about a specific topic