Search for content in message boards

Parents' names blacked out on SS application

Parents' names blacked out on SS application

Posted: 5 Jun 2012 2:39AM GMT
Classification: Query
A cousin of mine sent in for information on his father, who died while he was three years old, hoping to find the names of his father's parents. When it arrived, the names were blacked out and unreadable. Is this standard practice? Is there some way to work around this?

Re: Parents' names blacked out on SS application

Posted: 5 Jun 2012 2:58AM GMT
It is now standard practice to redact the parents' names on an SS-5 for anyone born less than 100 years ago.

http://megansmolenyak.posterous.com/social-security-administ...

Posted: 25 Jun 2012 10:56PM GMT
Edited: 26 Jun 2012 1:59AM GMT
I just received one like that for my father. The letter says "Unless we have acceptable proof of death, we do not disclose to the public personal information about living individuals..." and they enclosed a copy of their own social security record that includes his date of death. Apparently they don't consider their own records to be acceptable proof of death, so I have to mail a copy of his obituary. Government beaurocracy at its finest.

Posted: 26 Jun 2012 4:07AM GMT
It's the parents' deaths they need proof of, see some other responses. In my cousin's case, his father was born in 1928, so his father's parents would have to be well over 100 to still be alive, but never mind. Since he doesn't know his grandparents' names, what he was trying to find, he's stuck.

Posted: 26 Jun 2012 4:43AM GMT
That's even worse. My father was born in 1912. What's the chance that his parents are still alive?! It sounds like the SSA is now blacking out the parents on ALL FOIA requests, regardless of the age, making them essentially worthless. I ordered the application for my father to verify the spelling of his middle name and I have my grandparents' death certificates, but I also ordered several other applications specifically for the parents names. I haven't received them yet, but they'll undoubtedly have the info blacked out also. I'm not happy.

Posted: 8 Jul 2012 4:17AM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Surnames: snead,/ langston

If your looking for information on parents names, age and where they resided when you were born-YOUR birth certificate
has your name --mothers first , maiden and fathers first name, sur- name their age and their place of birth.and where they lived when you were born. With that you can get the census where they lived when YOU were born ,with your whole family usually. ask to see relatives birth certificates old pictures with writing..I keep a tablet make a trail of all births , places and dates, funerals , obits thew their life .I just found7 family members from a obit ..

Posted: 8 Jul 2012 8:54PM GMT
If only it was that easy. Unless you were born prior to 1940, you cannot access census information for the year you were born. Also, death certificates and birth certificates may be incomplete or may never have been filed.

Posted: 9 Jul 2012 7:32PM GMT
So upset reading this. I sent off for my husband's grandparents applications. They were very secretive and nobody knows anything. His grandpa's should be ok since he was born in 1910 but his grandma who is the really important one cuz we don't know anything was born in 1916. I do have a obit for her though so will I be able to send that to them and then they send me her parents names? If that doesn't work can anybody tell me how I would be able to find them. We really don't even know if we have her maiden name right.

Posted: 9 Jul 2012 7:52PM GMT
Apparently it's the grandparents' parents' obits that they want. That's why people are so upset. If you knew the parents' names and had their obits or death certificates, you wouldn't need the SS app, right?!

I'm not sure that being born in 1910 makes him exempt. As you can see from my earlier post, they blacked out my father's parents and my father was born in 1912.

Posted: 9 Jul 2012 7:57PM GMT
Well the article I read said that if they were born before 1912 it should be ok cuz that over 100 years. I hope it's ok. I'm trying to think positive on the grandma's. It will have her maiden name on it right? That will be a start if it does.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions