Search for content in message boards

Jefferson Davis Lewis married Sara Bashaw

Jefferson Davis Lewis married Sara Bashaw

Martin Suiter (View posts)
Posted: 2 Apr 2001 10:11AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Jan 2007 2:55PM GMT
Surnames: Lewis, Bashaw
I'm looking for info on Jefferson Davis Lewis that married Sara Bashaw. They lived in Menifee Co. Ky.( 1800)
Martin Suiter

Josephine Suiter m. William F Smith of Menifee Co.(Frenchburg) Ky

Lynda (View posts)
Posted: 4 Oct 2001 2:45PM GMT
Edited: 2 Jan 2007 2:57PM GMT
Surnames: Suiter, Smith, Keith, Rothwell
I'm looking for relatives of Josephine Suiter m. William F Smith.She died in Menifee Co.(Frenchburg) Ky.in 1933.She had 5 siblings, Henry b. 1894, Windfield b.1891,Floyd, Emma(married John E.Smith,brother of Wm.) and Lucinda Suiter Rothwell. If any of this is familar, please e-mail me.
Thanks, Lynda

Re: Jefferson Davis Lewis - detailed Suiter family info

Posted: 4 Oct 2001 6:18PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 2 Jan 2007 3:54PM GMT
Surnames: Suiter, MILLER, MCNIEL, Ely, Sexton, Robinson, Slaton, Bynie, Clarke, SNODGRASS, SPENCER, WRIGHT, CRAIG, DAY, CLINE, ARMITAGE, CASSITY, Keck, Troup, Spencer, Wright, Noland, HUBBLE, Jaundon, Spencer, Martin, DENNIS, MCNULTY, Leeke
Hi Lynda,
This what I have on the Suiters in MenifeeCounty Ky.
Descendants of William Gose Suiter.
I hope this helps you.
Martin Suiter

Generation No. 1

1. WILLIAM GOSE4 SUITER (ALEXANDER T.3, WILLIAM2, ALEXANDER1) was born November 08, 1829 in Tazewell Co., Virginia, and died November 20, 1883 in Frenchburg, Menifee Co., Kentucky. He married LUCINDA ANN MILLER March 16, 1854 in Giles Co., Virginia, daughter of CHARLES MILLER and ANN MCNIEL. She was born March 25, 1837 in Giles Co., Virginia, and died March 16, 1908 in Menifee County, Kentucky.

Notes for WILLIAM GOSE SUITER:
William Gose Suiter moved from Tazwell, County Va. in the fall of 1860 to Wise county Va.. He was called into the state militia. He then moved back to Bland County,Va. the next fall. ( Bland County was formed from Tazwell County in 1861) In the spring of 1862 he enlisted into Company F 8th Va. Cavalry.Also known as the Bland County Rangers. The 8th Va. fought mostly in West Va. and Va. but some battles where fought in Tenn., Ky., Ohio, Penn. and Md. The 8th was heavily engaged in the " Battle of Monococy" at Fredrick Md.. William was wounded in the shoulder with a round ball. (I presume from a musket) On the 9th of July 1864 in the Battle of Monococy at Fredrick Md. He was left on the field and was captured on the 10th of July and moved to Fort McHenry in Md. He was exchanged Oct. 30th 1864 at Point Lookout Md.. He was then paroled on the 13th of May 1865 at Charleston, West VA.. After the war he moved back to Wise County Va.. He lived in Wise County till the year of 1875. He then moved East of Frenchburg Ky. in Menifee County. I was told by his granddaughter that it took his family a month to make the journey by foot and wagon. William bought land a long a branch Known as Fly Blow
Branch also Known as Suiter Branch. The branch runs between two large hills or mountains. He built his home on the west side of the branch. the log walls are still standing. ( 1990) William and his wife are buried in a cemetery north east of his home. William died at a very young age. He was 54 at the time of his death. His wife said that he never fully recovered from the bad treatment when he was a prisoner of war.

Will of William G. Suiter, as edited by Bill Ely (spelling out names)
I, william G. Suiter, of Menifee county, Kentucky, being os sane mind and disposing memory, in the name of God do publish this my last will and testament.
1st.--------- I do will and bequeath to my son, Henderson Smith Suiter, twenty?five acres of land to be laid off of the farm on which I reside. Beginning at the bridge above William M. Suiter's house,thence with the road up to the mouth of the first large hollow on the left going down, thence up said hollow to the top of the ridge and with it and William Sexton's and Jeff Suiter's to William M. Suiter's line and with his line to the beginning so as to include the twenty?five acres, upon condition that the said Henderson Smith Suiter, shall remain at the home place, work for and assist in maintaining his Mother and minor brothers and sisters until he attains his majority and the land shall not be sold until after that time.
2nd.-------- It is my will that the filly and calf now owned and claimed by him, the said Henderson Smith Suiter, shall so remain his to be disposed of as he wills.
3rd.--------- I will and bequeath to my son, James Madison and Jasper Bond Suiter all the remainder of my real estate. Jasper Bond Suiter to take my house and out?buildings which is not to be taken into account in the division and the land to be divided between them equally invalue. They also shall remain at the homestead and work for and assist in maintaining their Mother and minor sisters so long as they remain unmarried or attain their majority, and their Mother so long as she remains a widow.
4th.--------- I do will and bequeath Fifty ($50) dollars cash to my daughters, Louisa Matilda Suiter, Arminta Jane Suiter, and Mary Elvira M. Suiter, to be paid to them in good young stock by my sons James Madison and JasperBond Suiter, and whose bequesths is dependent upon the faithful performance of this bequest. James Madison is to pay Louisa Matilda her portion at her majority and at the majority of Arminta Jane one half of her portion is to be paid by James Madison and the other half by Jasper Bond Suiter. At the majority of Mary Elvira M., her portion shall be paid by Jasper Bond Suiter.
5th.--------- I do will and bequeath to my wife all my household goods and chattles to be disposed of by her as she wills.
6th.--------- It is my will that my rifle gun given to me by my Grandfather be kept in common at the home place until the majority of my son, Jasper Bond at which time I bequeath it to my son, James Madison Suiter.
7th.--------- It is my will that all my just debts shall be paid and after my death sufficient of my live stock shall be sold to do so.
8th.--------- It is my will that all my tools and farming implements be kept and used for the cultivation of the land and for the support of my widow and minor children.
9th.--------- I will and bequeath to my sons, Charles Peter Alexander Suiter, Paris Jefferson Suiter, and William Miller Suiter and to my daughter, Isabel Catherine Ann Suiter, one dollar each to be paid to them after my death by a sale of sufficient live stock.
10th. I hereby nominate and appoint Paris Jefferson Suiter trustee and executor of this my last will and testament.
Witness my hand this 15th. day of June 1883
William Gose Suiter
Signed and acknowledged in the presence of us by the testator, William G. Suiter, as his last will and testament and attested by us in the presence of the testator and in the presence of each other this 15th day of June, 1883.
Chas. W. Robinson
Saml. (x) Slaton
J. J. Bynie

Obituary of William Gose Suiter

Wm. Gose Suiter was born in Tazewell County,Va. Nov. 8,1829, was married to Lucinda A. Miller of Giles County, Va. March 16,1854.
He professed religion some time in the year 1856 and attached himself to the M. E.Church South.
He moved to Wise County, Va in the fall of 1860. The late war coming in the next year and being called to the state militia he moved the next fall back to Bland County, Va. and in the spring of 1862 he enlised with his countrymen in what is called the lost cause, discharged his duties honorable as a solider and wounded in service. He was captured at a battle in Maryland in the summer of 1864, was taken to Fort McHenry,where he remained a prisoner until November of the same year when he was returned by agreement with the sick and wounded to his native state, where he remained ? not being able for any service ? until the war closed.
After the war he moved again to Wise County, Va. where he lived until the year 1875, when he moved to Menifee County, Ky., where he remained until his decease which took place November 20th, 1883 at the age of 54 years and 12 days, leaving a wife and ten children, one that had gone before.
The deceased like many others had made some crooked steps but never denied his faith and like the psalmist who prayed to the Lord to spare him that he may recover strength before he shall go home to be no more he was notified of his coming dissolution and sought that strength that is necessary in the combat with the last enemy and give all the evidence to his family that any one could wish that all was well, exorting them to meet him in heaven and thus equipped he entered the valley of the shadow of death, and hoping from our earthly view we sorrow not as those that have no hope, but rather while we may not call him back we may go to him.

Suiter Rifle

William Gose Suiter willed his rifle to his son, Jasper Bond Suiter when he became of age. The terms of the will were duly carried out. When James died, the rifle then passed to his son, Jake Suiter Sr., then to Jake, Jr.
Jake Jr. never married or had children. He kept the rifle in his possession until 1987 when his cousin, Ralph Clarke, a grandson of Jasper Bond through his daughter, Minta Maggie, visited him inWinterhaven, Florida. Jake gave the rifle to Ralph, who lives in Wyoming.
Ralph had the rifle examined by an expert, who believes it was made around 1830. Jake also gave Ralph the original bullet mold, powder horn and
other accourterments.
Ralph will pass the rifle on to one of his descendants. he has four children, 20 grandchildren, and 25 great?grandchildren, so the rifle should stay in the family for many years to come.

Children of WILLIAM SUITER and LUCINDA MILLER are:
i. CHARLES PETER ALEXANDER5 SUITER, b. November 03, 1855, Tazewell Co., Virginia; d. April 03, 1916; m. NANCY ?.
ii. PARIS JEFFERSON SUITER, b. June 02, 1857, Tazewell Co., Virginia; d. July 09, 1899.
iii. ISABELLE CATHERINE ANNE SUITER, b. March 07, 1859, Tazewell Co., Virginia; d. October 18, 1938, Menifee Co., Kentucky; m. JOHN SNODGRASS.
2. iv. WILLIAM MILLER SUITER, b. May 08, 1861, Suiter, Bland, Virginia; d. October 25, 1944, Frenchburg, Menefee, Kentucky.
v. JOHN FLOYD SUITER, b. April 11, 1864, Bland Co., Virginia; d. May 09, 1867, Wise Co., Virginia.
3. vi. HENDERSON SMITH SUITER, b. May 14, 1866, Wise County, Va.; d. August 05, 1954, Greencastle, Putnam County, Indiana, Hospital.
4. vii. JAMES EDWARD MADISON SUITER, b. November 08, 1868, Wise Co., Virginia; d. October 08, 1957.
viii. LOUISA MATILDA SUITER, b. June 26, 1870, Wise Co., Virginia; d. August 10, 1956, Frenchburg, Menifee Co., Kentucky; m. JAMES SPENCER, 1889.
5. ix. JASPER BOND SUITER, b. September 06, 1872, Wise Co., Virginia; d. January 12, 1964, Grey Bull, Bighorn County, Wyoming.
x. ARMINTA JANE SUITER, b. September 19, 1876, Frenchburg, Menifee Co., Kentucky; d. August 18, 1962, Ladoga, Indiana; m. JOHN WRIGHT.
xi. MARY ELVIRA MAY SUITER, b. November 08, 1878, Frenchburg, Menifee Co., Kentucky; d. Frenchburg, Menefee Co., Kentucky; m. JOHN CRAIG.

Generation No. 2

2. WILLIAM MILLER5 SUITER (WILLIAM GOSE4, ALEXANDER T.3, WILLIAM2, ALEXANDER1) was born May 08, 1861 in Suiter, Bland, Virginia, and died October 25, 1944 in Frenchburg, Menefee, Kentucky. He married RILDA ANN DAY November 18, 1886 in Frenchburg, Menefee, Ky. She was born January 28, 1870 in Ezel, Morgan, Kentucky, and died September 03, 1934 in Frenchburg, Menefee, Kentucky.

Notes for WILLIAM MILLER SUITER:

( This is the monument east of Frenchburg, Kentucky)
ON THIS FARM

WILLIAM MILLER SUITER DISCOVERED AND NURTURED THE OUTSTANDING STRAIN OF TALL FESCUE KNOWN AS KENTUCKY 31 FESCUE.
IN APPRECIATION OF THE SERVICE HE THUS RENDERED TO AGRICULTURE, HIS FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, THE FARMERS OF KENTUCKY HAVE IN THE YEAR 1948 ERECTED THIS MONUMENT TO HIS MEMORY.
KENTUCKY 31 FESCUE, THROUGH NATURAL SELECTION UNDER THE RUGGED CONDITION OF THE KENTUCKY MOUNTAINS, DEVELOPED A HARDINESS UNKOWN IN OTHER GRASSES, IT'S WIDE ADAPABILITY AND MERITS WERE RECOGNIZED BY THE KENTUCKY AGRICULTURE EXEPERMENT STATION AND THE COLLEGE OF AGRICULTURE AND THESE INSITUTIONS HAVE BEEN INSTRUMENTAL IN MAKING IT AVAILABLE TO FARMERS EVERYWERE.

THE PROGRAM

KENTUCKY 31 FESCUE DAY
MAY 14, 1948 10:0 AM.

CALL TO ORDER ... C.M. WADE, PRESIDENT, KENTUCKY 31 FESCUE ASSOCIATION
INVOCATION ... REVEREND JOHN C. CHENAULT, PASTER, MT. STERLING CHRISTAIN CHURCH
WECOME ADDRESS... DR. W. J. BRAID, PRESIDENT, MOREHEAD TEACHERS COLLEGE
WM. M. SUITER, PIONEER CONSERVATIONIST... PROFESSOR JOHN BESCOE, FRENCHBURG,HIGH SCHOOL
UNVAILING OF THE TABLET... VICTOR K. DODGE, REPRESENTIVE, KENTUCKY 31 FESCUE ASSOCIATION
RESPONSE... W.O.SUITER

NOON

GREETINGS... THE HONORABLE ERALE CLEMENTS, GOVERNOR, KENTUCKY
MY OBSERVATION OF KENTUCKY 31 FESCUE DR. E. N. FERGUS, AGRONOMIST, KENTUCKY EXPERIMENT STATION
KENTUCKY 31 GOES SOUTH... FRED WILSON, PRISIDENT, NORTH GEORGIA FESCUE ASSOCIATION
T. O. GALLOWAY, ASS'T CONSERVATIONIST SOIL CONSERVATION SERVICE, GAINSVILLE, GA.
KENTUCKY 31 FESCUE IN ALABAMA... GENERAL EDWIN W. JONES, HUNTSVILLE, ALA.

Children of WILLIAM SUITER and RILDA DAY are:
i. IDA LEE6 SUITER, b. March 16, 1888, Frenchburg, Menefee Co., Kentucky.
ii. JONNY GOSE SUITER, b. December 29, 1889, Frenchburg, Menefee Co., Kentucky; d. April 13, 1947.
iii. MARGARET ALMA SUITER, b. December 11, 1891, Frenchburg, Mnf, Ky; d. February 01, 1977.
iv. WILLIAM ORLANDO SUITER, b. August 31, 1894, Frenchburg, Menefee Co., Kentucky; d. August 13, 1961, Lake City, Columbia Co., Florida.
v. MARY CARY SUITER, b. June 04, 1898, Frenchburg, Mnf, Ky; d. March 09, 1970; m. DEBOLT C. CLINE; b. Abt. 1894, <Frenchburg, Mnf, Ky>.

3. HENDERSON SMITH5 SUITER (WILLIAM GOSE4, ALEXANDER T.3, WILLIAM2, ALEXANDER1) was born May 14, 1866 in Wise County, Va., and died August 05, 1954 in Greencastle, Putnam County, Indiana, Hospital. He married LUCRETIA (LOU) ARMITAGE 1887 in Menifee Co., KY, daughter of JOHN ARMITAGE and SARAH CASSITY. She was born August 04, 1868 in Frenchburg, KY, and died April 19, 1945 in Ladoga, Indiana.

Notes for HENDERSON SMITH SUITER:
Henderson Suiter 89, Farmer, Dies At Putnam Hospital

ROACHDALE--Henderson Smith Suiter, 89, a farmer, died Thurday at 3:30 p. m. at the Putnam County Hospital in Greeacastle. He had been in failing health for 10 days.
Born in Wise County, Va., on May 14, 1865, he was the son of W. M. and Lucinda Miller Suiter. He martied Lucritia Armitage in Kentucky.
He was a member of the Methodist Church in Kentucky.
Survivors include two daughters, Mrs. Ethel Keck of Brick Chapel and Mrs. Effie Troup of Chicago. Ill.; five sons, Guy and Lionel. both of New Maysville, Herbert and Carl, both of Crawfordsville, and Harold of Florida; three sisters, Mrs. Louise Spencer of Frenchburg, Ky., Mrs. Armitage Wright of Ladoga, and Mrs. Viola Noland of Roachdale; two brothers, James 0f Florida and Jasper of Graybull, Wyo.; 19 grandchildren, 20 great-grandchildren, and one great-great grandchild.
Funeral services will be held Saturday at 2 p. m. (CDT) at the Chastain Funeral Home in Roach dale. Burial will be in Ladoga Cemetery. Friends may call at the funeral home after 4 p.m. Friday.

More About HENDERSON SMITH SUITER:
Burial: Ladoga, Cementery, Montgomery County, Indiana

More About LUCRETIA (LOU) ARMITAGE:

Children of HENDERSON SUITER and LUCRETIA ARMITAGE are:
6. i. WILLIAM GUY6 SUITER, b. August 1888, Frenchburg, Menefee Co., Kentucky; d. August 1961, Roachdale, Indiana.
7. ii. LIONEL LIFFORD SUITER, b. May 17, 1892, Frenchburg, Menefee Co., Kentucky; d. July 14, 1967, Greencastle, Indiana.
8. iii. EVANORA 'EFFIE' MAY SUITER, b. April 12, 1895, Frenchburg, Menefee Co., Kentucky; d. March 23, 1957, Chicago, Illinois.
9. iv. JOHN HERBERT SUITER, b. April 12, 1898, Frenchburg, Menefee Co., Kentucky; d. May 31, 1961, Roachdale, Indiana.
10. v. ETHEL CORA SUITER, b. August 11, 1901, Roachdale, IN; d. 1986.
11. vi. JAMES CARL SUITER, b. August 27, 1904, Frenchburg, Menefee Co., Kentucky; d. September 1976, Crawfordsville, Indiana.
vii. HAROLD GORDON SUITER, b. October 05, 1911, Frenchburg, Menefee Co., Kentucky; d. 1976, Crawfordsville, Indiana; m. DELORES HUBBLE, August 28, 1937, Bedford, Kentucky.

Notes for HAROLD GORDON SUITER:

Harold Gordon Suiter

Ladoga-- Services willbe conduced in Perkins Funeral Home at Ladoga at 2:0 p.m. today for Harold Gordon Suiter of San Antonio, Texas, who died Thursday in Culver Hospital. Mr. Suiter was a retired carpenter.
Born Oct. 5, 1911, at Frenchburg, Ky., he was the son of Henderson Smith Suiter and Lucretia Armitage Suiter. He was married to Delores Hubble on Aug. 28. 1937, at Bedford, Ky.
Surviving are two sons, Gordon R. of Crawfordsville and Donald W. of Kankakee ILL., a brother, Carl of Crawfordsville, a sister Ethel Keck of Brick Chapel: and five grand-children.
Mr. Suiter was preceded in death by three brothers and a sister.
The Rev. Jarold Rux will be officating with burial in Ladoga Cementery.

4. JAMES EDWARD MADISON5 SUITER (WILLIAM GOSE4, ALEXANDER T.3, WILLIAM2, ALEXANDER1) was born November 08, 1868 in Wise Co., Virginia, and died October 08, 1957. He married JANE ?.

Child of JAMES SUITER and JANE ? is:
12. i. JAKE MILLER6 SUITER, SR..

5. JASPER BOND5 SUITER (WILLIAM GOSE4, ALEXANDER T.3, WILLIAM2, ALEXANDER1) was born September 06, 1872 in Wise Co., Virginia, and died January 12, 1964 in Grey Bull, Bighorn County, Wyoming. He married NANCY CATHERINE DENNIS April 12, 1891. She was born July 05, 1870 in Hazel Green, Kentucky, and died June 24, 1964 in Grey Bull, Bighorn County, Wyoming.

Notes for JASPER BOND SUITER:
Notes for JASPER BOND SUITER:
Lived in Douglas County, Illinois in 1902.

Newspaper article

Greybull, wyo. - Seventy years of married life were marked by Mr. and Mrs. Jasper B. Suiter of Greybull with a reception in their home.
Hosting the celebration were their son and daughter-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. R. C. Suiter of billings. A cake topped with a golden "70" centered the refreshment table.
The suiters were married April 12, 1891, in Frenchburg, Ky.
"when Nannie and I were married, we farmed 11 years near Frenchburg," Suiter commented.
In 1902 they moved to Illinois, where they engaged in farming until 1927. They moved then to Greybull.
When they first came to Greybull he was employed on the railroad. Later he became a carpenter.
"I put shingles on 56 houses in Greybull," Suiter proudly recounted. he retired several years ago.
Mr. and Mrs. Suiter were the parents of five children. A daughter, Mrs. Sadie Spellman of Arcola, Ill., and her son by a former marriage, Pressie Sexton of Greybull, are deceased.
In addition to their son in Billings, they have two daughters, Mrs. Curt Jaundon of Mishawaka, Ind., and Mrs. Frank Spencer of Lansing, Mich. They have 16 grandchildren, 36 great-grandchildren, and 23 great-great-granchildren.
Out-of-town guests included their grandchildren, James e. Suiter, Mr. and Mrs. Raymond C. Suiter, Mrs. WilliamSexton, all of Billings, Mrs. Grady Martin of Phoenix, Ariz.; and friends, Mr. and Mrs. Norman Hogan of Joliet.

Writeup by Reuben C. Suiter, Billings, Montana
They farmed in Kentucky until 1902, when they moved to Coles county, Illinois, living there until 1927, then moved to Greybull, Wyoming, where he resided and worked as a carpenter and contractor until his retirement until 1950.

More About JASPER BOND SUITER:
Burial: Grey Bull, Bighorn County, Wyoming

More About NANCY CATHERINE DENNIS:
Burial: Grey Bull, Bighorn County, Wyoming

Children of JASPER SUITER and NANCY DENNIS are:
13. i. MINTA MAGGIE6 SUITER, b. April 25, 1892, Menifee County, Kentucky; d. September 01, 1977, Greybull, Wyoming.
ii. ARTIS LEE SUITER, b. September 04, 1893.
14. iii. REUBEN CLAYTON SUITER, b. August 22, 1900, Menifee County, Kentucky or Montana; d. May 13, 1973, Billings, Yellowstone County, Montana.

Generation No. 3

6. WILLIAM GUY6 SUITER (HENDERSON SMITH5, WILLIAM GOSE4, ALEXANDER T.3, WILLIAM2, ALEXANDER1) was born August 1888 in Frenchburg, Menefee Co., Kentucky, and died August 1961 in Roachdale, Indiana. He married (1) LETTIE MAY LEWIS in Frenchburg, Menefee, Kentucky, daughter of JEFFERSON LEWIS and SARAH BASHAW. She was born May 1890 in Frenchburg, Menefee Co., Kentucky, and died October 1937 in Ladoga, Indiana. He married (2) MARY MCNULTY in Ladoga, Indiana.

More About WILLIAM GUY SUITER:
Cause of Death: Stroke

Notes for LETTIE MAY LEWIS:

NATIVE OF KENTUCKY PASSE AWAY AT HOME AFTER LINGERING ILLNESS

Ladoga, Oct. 25?Mrs. LettieMay Suiter, wife of Guy Suiter, passed away Sunday afternoon at the family home two miles east of here. Death was caused by a complication. or diseases and occurred at 12:30 p. m.
Suiter, who was 47 years old, was born in Menefee County, Ky., the daughtr ofJefferson and Sarah Lewis.She was united in marriage with Guy Suiter May 10,1907. She had been critically ill the past two weeks and in declining health the past several years.
Mrs. Suiter was a member of the Christian church and had resided in this community since her marriage.
Surviving are: the husband, one son, Cline of Middletown, 0hio, a daughter, Mrs. Rae Leeke of Indianapolis, three grandchildren, one brother. three sisters and two half?brothers.
Funeral services will be held at the home east of Ladoga at two o'clock Tuesday afternoon with the Rev. Richard Moore of the Ladoga Christian church officiating. Burial will take place at the Ladoga Cemetery.

More About LETTIE MAY LEWIS:

Children of WILLIAM SUITER and LETTIE LEWIS are:
i. OLIVER CLINE7 SUITER, b. July 10, 1909, Ladoga, Indiana; d. June 06, 1991, Danville, Indiana; m. BESSIE MAY MURPHY, November 08, 1930, Frenchburg, Menefee, Kentucky; b. January 09, 1916, Bath Co., Kentucky.

More About OLIVER CLINE SUITER:
Cause of Death: Heart Failure

ii. ZEOLA RAY SUITER, b. April 26, 1912, Frenchburg, Menefee Co., Kentucky; d. January 09, 1982, Crawfordsville, Montgomery County, Indiana; m. WAYNE HENLEY LEEKE.

Notes for ZEOLA RAY SUITER:

Z. Rae Leeke

ROACHDALE ? Z. Rae Leeke, 69, of Rt. 2, died at 11: 10 a.m. Saturday in Culver Hospital. She had been in ill health for 13 years.

She was born April 26, 1912 in Kentucky, a daughter of William and Lettie Lewis Suiter.

She is survived by two sons, Richard and Donald of Rt. 2, Roachdale, and a daughter, Mrs. Marilyn Richards of Crawfordsville; a brother, Cline Suiter of rural Roachdale; seven grandchildren, and two great?grandchildren.

. Services will be at 2 p.m. Tuesday in Servies & Morgan Funeral Hom& at Ladoga, with the Rev. James Lynn officiating. Friends may call from 5?9 p.m. today in the funeral home. Burial will be in the Ladoga Cemetery

More About ZEOLA RAY SUITER:
Burial: Lodoga, Cementery, Montgomery County, Indiana
Divorced: Never Remarried

iii. INFANT SUITER, b. Abt. 1910, Ladoga Montgomery Co., Indiana; d. Abt. 1910, Ladoga Montgomery Co., Indiana.

Notes for INFANT SUITER:
Infant Suiter died at birth between 1909 and 1912.

More About INFANT SUITER:

7. LIONEL LIFFORD6 SUITER (HENDERSON SMITH5, WILLIAM GOSE4, ALEXANDER T.3, WILLIAM2, ALEXANDER1) was born May 17, 1892 in Frenchburg, Menefee Co., Kentucky, and died July 14, 1967 in Greencastle, Indiana. He married SARAH ELODA BENSON in Mennesse, Kentucky, daughter of JOE BENSON and OLLIE SHROUT. She was born June 09, 1894 in Menifee County. Kentucky, and died July 21, 1975.

More About LIONEL LIFFORD SUITER:
Burial: Roachdale, Putnam County, Indiana

More About SARAH ELODA BENSON:
Burial: Roachdale, Putnam County, Indiana

Children of LIONEL SUITER and SARAH BENSON are:
i. RUBY7 SUITER, b. November 07, 1912, Menifee County, Kentucky; d. July 12, 1990, Indianapolis, Indiana; m. CLARENCE MARION MARTZ, July 14, 1934, Greencastle, Putnam County, Indiana; b. March 27, 1911, Montgomery County, Indiana; d. October 1993, Danville, Indiana.

More About RUBY SUITER:
Burial: Roachdale Cementary, Putnam County, Indiana

More About CLARENCE MARION MARTZ:

ii. MARY FRANCES SUITER, b. September 01, 1915, Montgomery County, Indiana; d. December 06, 1998; m. JOSEPH FRANKLIN CASE JR, March 10, 1998, Greencastle, Putnam County, Indiana; b. September 19, 1913, Roachdale Cementary, Putnam County, Indiana; d. July 24, 1985.

More About MARY FRANCES SUITER:

More About JOSEPH FRANKLIN CASE JR:

iii. GLADYS MARIE SUITER, b. March 30, 1919; d. April 11, 1995; m. (1) AGEE PRICHARD; m. (2) WARREN GAIL SARJENT, April 21, 1946, Crawfordsville, Montgomery County, Indiana; b. July 10, 1921, Milford, ILLinois.

More About GLADYS MARIE SUITER:
Burial: Crawfordsville, Montgomery County, Indiana

8. EVANORA 'EFFIE' MAY6 SUITER (HENDERSON SMITH5, WILLIAM GOSE4, ALEXANDER T.3, WILLIAM2, ALEXANDER1) was born April 12, 1895 in Frenchburg, Menefee Co., Kentucky, and died March 23, 1957 in Chicago, Illinois. She married (1) ART TROUP. She married (2) JESS HART.

More About EVANORA 'EFFIE' MAY SUITER:

Children of EVANORA SUITER and JESS HART are:
i. ETHEL EILEEN7 HART, b. January 12, 1919; d. Abt. 1981, Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago, ILLinois; m. WILLIAM BLAKE.

Notes for ETHEL EILEEN HART:

Ethel Eileen Blake

LADOGA--- Ethel Eileen Blake, 62. formerly of Ladoga, died Monday in Northwestern Memorial Hospital at Chicago, Ill.

Born Jan. 12,1919, at Ladoga, she was a daughter of Jess and Effie Suiter Hart. She married William Blake.

She is survived by a sister, Opal Bindharnmer of Indianapolis; two nephews, Michael and Gene Bindhammer of Indianapolis; and several cousins.

She was preceded in death by her parents and a sister, Virginia.

Graveside rites will be at I p.m. Friday in Ladoga Cemetery. Friends may call 4?8 p.m. today in Haven Funeral Home at Skokie, 111. Memoria, contributions may be made to the Cancer Society.

More About ETHEL EILEEN HART:
Burial: Ladoga Cementery, Montgomery Co., Indiana

ii. OPAL HART, m. BINDHAMMER.
iii. VIRGINIA HART.

9. JOHN HERBERT6 SUITER (HENDERSON SMITH5, WILLIAM GOSE4, ALEXANDER T.3, WILLIAM2, ALEXANDER1) was born April 12, 1898 in Frenchburg, Menefee Co., Kentucky, and died May 31, 1961 in Roachdale, Indiana. He married EDNA BEATRICE ALLEN August 14, 1923. She was born February 15, 1901 in Linden, Montgomery County, Indiana, and died March 14, 1992.

More About JOHN HERBERT SUITER:

More About EDNA BEATRICE ALLEN:

Child of JOHN SUITER and EDNA ALLEN is:
i. BETTY LOU7 SUITER, b. March 15, 1929, Roachdale, Putnam County, Indiana; m. HAROLD REXFERD WENDLING, September 24, 1949; b. June 09, 1925.

10. ETHEL CORA6 SUITER (HENDERSON SMITH5, WILLIAM GOSE4, ALEXANDER T.3, WILLIAM2, ALEXANDER1) was born August 11, 1901 in Roachdale, IN, and died 1986. She married CHARLES LEE KECK. He was born September 09, 1899 in Indiana, and died August 15, 1960.

Children of ETHEL SUITER and CHARLES KECK are:
i. AUDREY HELEN7 KECK, m. GEORGE FRANK THOMPSON.
ii. MARY LOUISE KECK, m. DOLAND G. CASH.
iii. HERBERT ELLIS KECK, b. January 08, 1924, Roachdale, IN; d. May 01, 1960; m. (1) THELMA JEAN KOESSLER; m. (2) MARTHA BRYAN.

11. JAMES CARL6 SUITER (HENDERSON SMITH5, WILLIAM GOSE4, ALEXANDER T.3, WILLIAM2, ALEXANDER1) was born August 27, 1904 in Frenchburg, Menefee Co., Kentucky, and died September 1976 in Crawfordsville, Indiana. He married DOROTHY MAYWOOD CUSTER January 27, 1928. She was born 1908, and died 1968 in Crawfordsville, Indiana.

More About JAMES CARL SUITER:

More About DOROTHY MAYWOOD CUSTER:

Children of JAMES SUITER and DOROTHY CUSTER are:
i. JAMES HENDERSON7 SUITER, b. October 25, 1931; m. BARBARA JOANNE GICK; b. July 24, 1940.
ii. RONALD LARUE SUITER, b. December 24, 1933; m. (1) GLENELLEN ROBERTS; m. (2) SALLY ANN CARVER.
iii. LIONEL DALE SUITER, b. August 06, 1935, Crawfordsville, Indiana; m. PATRICIA ELLEN NICOSON, April 10, 1955, Crawfordsville, Indiana; b. May 07, 1938, Romney, Indiana; d. November 09, 1981, Lafayette, Indiana.
iv. CARLIN ANN SUITER, b. May 07, 1942; m. GARY D. BRADLEY, September 03, 1961, Crawfordsville, Indiana; b. January 17, 1941.
v. MARILYN ELIZABETH SUITER, b. May 19, 1947; m. ROGER O. BOWES, October 21, 1987; b. May 18, 1943.

12. JAKE MILLER6 SUITER, SR. (JAMES EDWARD MADISON5, WILLIAM GOSE4, ALEXANDER T.3, WILLIAM2, ALEXANDER1)

Child of JAKE MILLER SUITER, SR. is:
i. JAKE MILLER7 SUITER, JR..

13. MINTA MAGGIE6 SUITER (JASPER BOND5, WILLIAM GOSE4, ALEXANDER T.3, WILLIAM2, ALEXANDER1) was born April 25, 1892 in Menifee County, Kentucky, and died September 01, 1977 in Greybull, Wyoming. She married OWEN GEURANT CLARKE July 04, 1909 in Mattoon, Coles County, ILLionois, son of SAMUEL CLARKE. He was born April 20, 1885 in Menifee County, Kentucky, and died December 17, 1946 in Mishawaka, Indiana.

More About MINTA MAGGIE SUITER:
Burial: Grey Bull, Big Horn County, Wyoming

Notes for OWEN GEURANT CLARKE:
Notes for OWEN GEURANT CLARKE:

Owen was orphaned at the age of 12. custody of him and his brother, Murrell, was temporarily given to C. D. Swim of frnechburg. A short time later custody was given to their older brother, Edward and they were taken to Arcola, Douglas county, Illinois.

Children of MINTA SUITER and OWEN CLARKE are:
i. DONALD BOND7 CLARKE, b. August 01, 1910, Arcola, ILLinois; d. August 02, 1956, Worland, Wyoming; m. EVELYN MAY BEAL, June 10, 1933, Mishawaka, Indiana; b. September 20, 1915, Peru, Indiana.
ii. RALPH VANE CLARKE, b. October 11, 1914, Filson, ILLinois; d. November 01, 1989, Basin, Wyoming; m. MILDRED ARDENE YAW, May 13, 1933, South Bend, Indiana; b. July 27, 1917, South Bend, Indiana.

Notes for RALPH VANE CLARKE:

Notes for RALPH VANE CLARKE:

He wrote some articles for a history book.
...I am Ralph V. Clarke, 70 years of age, married Mildred Ardene (Yaw) clarke May 13, 1933 in So. Bend, Ind. We have four surviving children, twenty grandchildren and 23 great grandchildren. They are coming now at such a rapid rate that I have instructed m y family to have engraved on my tombstone, "Died of frustration, couldn't count fast enough."

Excerpts from a letter to me:
The Suiter rifle I have was given to WilliamGose by his grandfather, William Suiter, b. 1785. I have had the rifle examined by an expert who gave the opinion that it had been made abt 1830. Since William Gose was his first grandchild it is my considered opion that he bought it and presented it to him at an early age.
My grandfather told me several times that he grew up with an old muzzle loader but never told me anything about it's history. When it was given to me by Jake suiter he also gave me the original bullet mold, powder horn and other accounterments.

He wrote some articles for a history book.
...I am Ralph V. Clarke, 70 years of age, married Mildred Ardene (Yaw) clarke May 13, 1933 in So. Bend, Ind. We have four surviving children, twenty grandchildren and 23 great grandchildren. They are coming now at such a rapid rate that I have instructed m y family to have engraved on my tombstone, "Died of frustration, couldn't count fast enough."

The Suiter rifle I have was given to WilliamGose by his grandfather, William Suiter, b. 1785. I have had the rifle examined by an expert who gave the opinion that it had been made abt 1830. Since William Gose was his first grandchild it is my considered opion that he bought it and presented it to him at an early age.
My grandfather told me several times that he grew up with an old muzzle loader but never told me anything about it's history. When it was given to me by Jake suiter he also gave me the original bullet mold, powder horn and other accounterments.
Obituary

Funeral Services for Ralph Vane Clakre were held Monday, Nov. 6, at the First Baptist Church inBasin. Mr.Clarke, 75, died Wednesday,Nov. 1, 1989, at the Wyoming Retirement Center.
He was born in Philson, Ill., the son of Owen and Maggie SuiterClarke. He was educated in SouthBend, Ind. He married Mildred Yaw in South Bend on May 13, 1933.
Mr. Clarke worked as a machinist in Indiana and Ohio and then served in the Army duringWorld War II. The family came to Wyoming in 1955 where he worked as a foreman for Woodruff Seed Company.He then farmed before mining on Green Mountain near Jeffrey City. He returned to farming before his retirement.
Mr.Clarkes was a member of the Suiter Family Association.
He is survived by his wife+ two daughters, Norma Jeanne Reeves of Tempe, Ariz. and Margie Anne Gilbore of Basin+ two sons, Harold Guerant Clarke of Manderson and Don Allen Clarke of Basin+ one sister, Margaret Nelson of Greybull+ 20 grandchildren and 23 great/grandchildren.
A military graveside service was held at Mount View Cemetery. Atwood Family was in charge of arrangements.

Some comments from a letter from his daughter, Marige Gilmore, after his death.
We knew Dad's condition was terminal but didn't realize the Lord would call him so soon.He had a large cancerous tumor in his right lung, discovered too late to treat successfully. We miss him greatly but are assured of being with him again - for on Oct. 4th, 1989 while in the Billings, Mt.hospital, he accepted Jesus as his own personal Lord and Savior. he was "born again" (10-4-89) just a week before his 75th birthday on 10-11-89.
We are proud of his WWII service record. he served 28 months as a tailgunner achieving the rank of Staff Sgt 707th Bombardment Squadron Heavy -446th Bombardment Group Heavy. His decorations and citations were as follows: EAME RhinelandTheaterRibbon with BronzeStar, Good Conduct Ribbon, and Air Medal with 5 oakleaf clusters.
Over the years he had many various jobs in several states. These includes machinist at Dodges, G.e., and at KaiserFrasier (where he also advanced to foreman). He worked assembly line at Studebakers,laborer at a paper mill, and as laborer and Forman at a beanmill.
He once owned and operated a farm in Michigan and was a ranchhand inwy. He worked as a miner near Jeffrey City, Wy. Dad and Mom ran a cafe and later a rollerskating rink. Dad learned shoe repair and had a shop for a time. In leaner years he worked on PWA andWPA.
Dad built a house in Indiana when I was nine and also built that all important small building out back which is out of date today. While we lived there Dad took up flying a small prop plane and was even half owner of one. He took many people up for their 1st plane ride. Us kids got to go up some and I loved every minute of it.
Dad had many hobbies over the years too. He took, developed, enlarged,and printed his own pictures. He took up stamp collecting, and leather tooling. He was a rock hound along with making his own jewelry.
When Dad got his 1st C.B. radio and started to "shoot skip" he made many friends he never met but exchantged cards with. His "handle" was the Hoosier Hotshot and he could "rachet jaw" with the best of them.
He was an avid sportsman and even tied his own flies for a while. We have many fond memories of camping at WorthanReservoir, on the mountain above Londer, wy. While there we did as the mood strcuk us - sometimes fishing, other times just relazing. I could tell many a hunting tale but find this is already takig on book-like proportions. The last several years Dad couldn't go out and hunt with us like he loved to, so he would get his deer, and then stay home cutting and wrapping up all our deer.
He reported the temperature for Hudson, Wy. for about seven years and was also a reporter for the newspaper for a time. He wrote many poems and passed on the desire to his offspring. I'm enclosing two poems that hung on the wall by his bed at the end. They were written by Don, his youngest son, and Jeremy, Don's eleven year old son.
Dad put his entire being into everything he did. Genealogy is one of the last things he was engrossed in.The greatest and most important achievement of his life was getting his name in the Lamgs Book of Life.

More About RALPH VANE CLARKE:
Cause of Death: Lung Cancer
Religion: Protestant

iii. MARGARET LUCILLE CLARKE, b. August 11, 1921; m. ? NELSON.
iv. DENTON CLARKE, b. 1911.
v. NAOMI RUTH CLARKE, b. January 18, 1917.
vi. SADIE E. CLARKE, b. 1925; d. 1925.

Notes for SADIE E. CLARKE:
Cause of Death: Stillborn

14. REUBEN CLAYTON6 SUITER (JASPER BOND5, WILLIAM GOSE4, ALEXANDER T.3, WILLIAM2, ALEXANDER1) was born August 22, 1900 in Menifee County, Kentucky or Montana, and died May 13, 1973 in Billings, Yellowstone County, Montana. He married MAY BOND August 09, 1919 in Mattoon, Coles County, ILLinois, daughter of GEORGE BOND. She was born April 1889 in Charleston, ILLinois, and died April 03, 1986 in Billings, Yellowstone County, Montana.

Notes for REUBEN CLAYTON SUITER:
Notes for REUBEN CLAYTON SUITER:

R. C. SUITER

Rueben C. Suiter, 72, of 255 Ave. F, a retired Northern Pacific Railway telegrapher, died Sunday night May 13, 1973, at his home. He had lived in Billings since 1929.

He was born Aug. 22, 1900, in Frenchburg, Ky., a son of Mr. and Mrs. Jasper B. Suiter The family lived in Nebraska and Illinois. He married May Bond Aug. 9, 1919 in Illinois.

The Suiters lived in Casper, Wyo. , for two years, then moved to Billings.

He was a member of the First United Methodist Church, Masonic Scottish Rite, the Al Bedoo Shrine, and was a past master of Pryor Mountain Lodge 151. He also belonged to Odd Fellows Star Lodge 41.

Survivors include the widow; two sons, James B. of Whitefish and Raymond C. of Hubbard, Ore.; two daughters, Mrs. Grady Martin of Lemon Grove, Calif., and Mrs. Richard Hegner of Harvard, Ill.; two sisters, Mrs. Maggie Jaundon of Mishawaka, Ind., and Mrs. Artie Spencer of Lansing, Mich.; 14 grandchildren, and four great?grand children.

Mr. and Mrs. Reuben Dennis, the couple who were caught in the 1882 flood on Tolan Creek ? recently mentioned in the Menifee County Journal, were his grandparents. The girl Nannie, Mrs. Jasper B. Suiter, who carried the quilts out, was his mother.

George Snodgrass and Winfield Suiter, of Frenchburg, both Deceased were cousins. Also Gordon Spencer and Mrs. Merley Bryan. Mrs. Mazella Rhodes and Mrs. Dot Mack are Third cousins.

Some Journal Readers have requested news of Jack Suiter of Winterhaven, Fla. On July 13, report says his condition is worsening. He also is one of the cousins.

The other grandparents were Mr. and Mrs. Williams G. Suiter, who moved here from Wise, County, Virginia in 1875 and settled on Flyblow, Branch just below Frenchburg.

More About REUBEN CLAYTON SUITER:
Burial: Billings, Yellowstone County, Montana

More About MAY BOND:
Burial: Billings, Yellowstone County, Montana

Children of REUBEN SUITER and MAY BOND are:
i. JAMES BOND7 SUITER, b. Abt. 1920; m. GRACE ?.
ii. BETTY DEAN SUITER, b. Abt. 1922; m. RICHARD HEGNER; b. Abt. 1920.
iii. OLIVE KATHERINE SUITER, b. March 06, 1924, Arcola, ILLinois; m. GRADY MARTIN, December 24, 1942; b. Abt. 1925.
iv. RAYMOND CLAYTON SUITER, b. January 29, 1935; m. EVA JEAN FRIZZELL, July 09, 1954; b. Abt. 1935.

Smith,Suiter,Keith

Lynda (View posts)
Posted: 8 Oct 2001 12:56AM GMT
Edited: 2 Jan 2007 3:56PM GMT
Surnames: Suiter, Spencer, Brown, Ledford, Smith, Snow
Thank you for the information you sent me. I have read about Wm. Gose Suiter, but didn't see any names that i knew. I see on page 16 a mention of Winfield Suiter, my Mom's uncle Windy. Also Gordon Spencer.I visited both of them as a child. Aunt lou was in bad health and using crutches.Her son Gordon lived on the farm with her, they had alot of cattle, I remember my brother and I playing on her crutches. Where is the Spencer Cemetery located? My Mother's mom is buried on a hill on the Smith farm, now owned by Brown's.(Josephine)also:Windy, Russell Ledford(Goldie Smith's husband) and a Mr. Snow, 2nd husband of Emma Suiter Smith.Write me... Lynda

Re: Smith,Suiter, Keith

Posted: 8 Oct 2001 5:52AM GMT
Edited: 2 Jan 2007 3:58PM GMT
Surnames: Spencer
Hi Lynda,
The Spencer Cemetery that Aunt Lou and Gordon are burried in is across the road from Gordon's house on a large hill. Merlin Spencer now lives in Gordon's house. Gordon was his uncle. Send me your e-mail address and I will write you more on Menefee County, Ky. msuiter@tctc.com
Martin

Re: Smith,Suiter,Keith

Posted: 11 Oct 2001 6:50PM GMT
Did you get my email with the map of Frenchburg, Ky.?
Martin

Re: Smith, Suiter, Keith

Lynda (View posts)
Posted: 11 Oct 2001 11:41PM GMT
Edited: 2 Jan 2007 3:59PM GMT
Surnames: Fultz
Hi Martin, sorry I haven't answered your messages. I have worked the last 3 days.I did receive the map and info.from you.Am trying to remember if aunt Lou was related or Mom just called her that, but I feel we are related. Beaver Rd. is where we went to visit Otis and Opal Fultz, also John and Erie Fultz. There was a dam going to be built at the end of their Rd., this was in 1971 I think.Here is my e-mail so you can write me direct Imperiial1@aol.com Lynda
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions