Search for content in message boards

Tips needed on searching death records

Tips needed on searching death records

Posted: 22 Oct 2012 1:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi. I am having trouble finding a death for a mother and daughter. I have tried searching in every state they have both lived but just can't find any trace of death for either of them.

I have even looked at family wills and court documents for clues. The strange thing about the mother's death is i have a possible date but no place, very odd. I have mentioned this mother and daughter in previous posts.

Can members give me any tips on how to search for their deaths?

Re: Tips needed on searching death records

Posted: 22 Oct 2012 3:38PM GMT
Edited: 22 Oct 2012 3:39PM GMT
I have found a lot of things on the familysearch.org website. It is the LDS site and is free to use. If you post their names I would be glad to help look.

Posted: 22 Oct 2012 4:18PM GMT
Thank you for that. The mother's name is Martha Johnston Bensley, b. around 1831-32 in Augnacloy,Co.Tyrone, Ireland.
Possible date of death is Aug 1922. I'm not sure if this makes a difference to the search but Martha's maiden name was Johnston and her first husband's name was Johnston also.
3 States where she may have died are Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York. She lived in all 3 states during her life.
Her daughter's name is Mary Ann Johnston Decker, B. abt 1858 in New York. She also lived in the same 3 states as her mother. Her last known address was 21 Grant Street, Newark, NJ.
Mary Ann lived here from 1924

Hope this helps with the search and thank you again

Janette (UK)

Posted: 23 Oct 2012 4:10PM GMT
In the 1910 census I found them in Scranton Lackawanna Pennsylvania. Martha is 78 years old and living with Mary and her family. Mary is 53. I found it at Familysearch.org it is a free website. It shows they lived on 6th Avenue. It also looks like Mary is listed as the head of household with her children William, Calvin, George and a daughter Martha Howard living there also. She also took in boarders. I think this is a good place to look since Martha Bensley is fairly old. Try the local libarary there to see if they have access to any old obituaries. Also a mortuary in the area may be of help. I'm not familiar with that area since I live in Wyoming but they may be able to set you on the right path. I will continue looking on this end. Let me know if you come up with a hit. Happy Searching!

Posted: 23 Oct 2012 4:46PM GMT
Hi Thank you for that . The 1910 is the last census i find both of them. However i am in the UK so a trip to the library is a little difficult lol.

Thank you so much for searching though. I will try and dig a little deeper in all the states i mentioned in my previous post
Janette

Posted: 23 Oct 2012 9:18PM GMT
Ok sorry I didn't know your location. I will keep looking on this end too.

Posted: 24 Oct 2012 2:13AM GMT
Edited: 24 Oct 2012 2:14AM GMT
You might try contacting the parties posting in the following thread:

http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames.bensley/64/mb.ashx

It seems to concern the family you are looking for.

Posted: 24 Oct 2012 8:56AM GMT
It's ok, i usually put UK in brackets next to my name. Most appreciated that you will still search.

Yes it is the same family, however i do have the info on Jacob Bensley, his wife Martha Johnston Bensley was my 3x Great Aunt. It's as though she had vanished along with ehr daughter Mary Ann Decker. Very strange, but thank you so much for posting the link, it could have been something i missed.

Janette (UK)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic