Search for content in message boards

Help with HANDWRITING!! Can't make this out...

Help with HANDWRITING!! Can't make this out...

Posted: 14 Mar 2012 12:17AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McGrory, Wardlaw, Wardlow, Maguire, Breen,
I've attacked a document with a placename that I can't quite make out.

Margaret Maguire married Thomas McGrory in Kesh, in County Fermanagh. This document gives her place of origin, and her father's - John Maguire.

As best I can tell, the placename begins with:

Kilma

After that, it looks like either a "c" or and "r"

Any help would be appreciated!
Attachments:

Re: Help with HANDWRITING!! Can't make this out...

Posted: 15 Mar 2012 8:08AM GMT
To me the place name reads as Kilmarnock. This is of course in Scotland and not Ireland.

Posted: 16 Mar 2012 4:31AM GMT
You're right, though. It does look like that. Here are the best guesses I have, given that she married a man living near Kesh, near North Lough Erne:

Kilmacbrack
Kilmacormick

Posted: 16 Mar 2012 4:56AM GMT
There is a Kilmacormick in County Fermanagh. It is definitely "Kilma" and then it looks like a cor to me.

Posted: 19 Mar 2012 4:55PM GMT
Surnames: maguire
just read yr post and I agree it looks like KILMARNOCK (in Scotland) to me. Try this website for a list of townlands www.ulsterancestry.com. look under townlands database

Posted: 21 Mar 2012 7:35AM GMT
In the page before this record, Margaret's husbands place of origin looks like Fermanoch or Fermanock. This leads me to believe that the "noch/nock" on Margaret's record is really something like:

Kilmarnagh

While this doesn't resolve it, it does get me closer. Thanks for all of your help, folks!

Posted: 18 Jun 2012 2:39PM GMT
look up www.ulsterancestry.com and go to townland database

Posted: 6 Sep 2012 8:29PM GMT
Hi, It looks like Kilmacanock - if this name was given orally and this is what the person who wrote it down heard then I could be Kilmacanogue, which is pronounced "Kilmacanock". It is in County Wicklow not far from Dublin. Does this help at all?

Posted: 28 Sep 2012 10:58AM GMT
Kilmacormick is in the civil parish of Trory Co Fermanagh, coming under the district of Enniskillen Rural on a map it appears to be in the northern area of Enniskillen itself. see Kilmacormick Road on Google

Back in Griffiths valuation days 1860”s see http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index
MCGRORYs are living in the parishes of CLEENISH , DRUMKEERAN , AGHALURCHER, GALLOON Kilmacormick has only one inhabitant for 100 acres plus, which sounds most unusual and the transcription might be wrong
Maguires are numerous some of them live in Cleenish, some in Galloon etc

Kesh is up about 12 miles northwards from Kilmacormick or Enniskillen.

The irish census has Maguire in 1911 were living in Kesh town and Crevenish Townland. In the latter there is a John Maguire and his wife Eliza with Mary Ann aged 20 and Lizzie aged 18
In 1911 there are no Thomas, however back in 1901
Census there are 4 thomas , three are in their twenties and one aged 3 living at Gortgarron, Bellisle
That’s all I could find.Good luck, Jim
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions