Search for content in message boards

Additional Peter families of Big Springs Twp

Additional Peter families of Big Springs Twp

Carrie Schafer (View posts)
Posted: 10 May 2004 12:36AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Peter, Mathias, Arend
2nd child of Michael and Margaretha Mathay Peter to arrive in the US was Adam (1825-1859) who married a Catherine and had the following children: Barbara, Michael, Theodore, John P., and Mary. John P. married his 4th or 5th cousin Catherine Mathias (dau. of Marie Barbe Peter & Jean Nicolas Mathias). Other siblings of Catherine's were Dominic (m. Theresa Weber), Lewis (m. Margaret Goshe), Joseph (m. Mary Arend) and Peter (m. Lizzie Grummer). As far as I can tell, Marie Barbe was the only child of Nicolai and Maria Catharina Stoffel Peter to arrive in the US. Nicolai and Michel were brothers, both born near Thiaumont, Belgium, their younger brother Nicolas was my great g g g grandfather

Would really love to find and hear from some descendents from these lines.

Re: Additional Peter families of Big Springs Twp

Posted: 21 Jun 2004 3:13AM GMT
Surnames: Peter, Mathias, Gosche, Goshe
This post was deleted by the author on 15 May 2014 7:05AM GMT

Posted: 7 Dec 2005 1:41PM GMT
me also recherche MATHIAS Catherine mariée à TINDENGER (TINDENGEN) Nicolas her girl is TINDENGER Marguerite Elisa born 25 septembre 1853 en FRANCE à LAVIGNEVILLE (dept MEUSE -55) my family , my mother is TINDENGER Ginette, her father is TINDENGER Gabriel marriad with ROBIN Marie (TINDENGER Roger a girl Yvette married USA children Colette ?) nous sommes originine LORRAINE /VOSGES/MEUSE/MEURTHE et MOSELLE email: mgt.mgt@laposte.fr (monique , de FRANCE)

Posted: 21 Jan 2006 4:41AM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Edited: 28 Jan 2006 12:07AM GMT
I am currently researching Maria Gosche. She married William Thomas on 6Dec1839. I strongly suspect she a daughter of Nicholas Gosche but I can't verify it. Do you have any information on Maria. Their marriag was recorded in the Marriage Regisster of St. Boniface,New Riegel, Ohio. I am also trying to verify that she was Williams second wife, the first being Anna Maria Vogt(Feck)
I think Anna Maria died between Dec1838 and Dec1839. The godfather of one of there children,Catharina Thomas, was Nicholas Gosche. Any help on connecting Maria to the Thomas family would be greatly appreciated. P.S I found the ancestor chart you submitted starting with Alvin Joseph. It tended to support my suspected belief that Maria may have been one of Nicholas's children. Mike Wise

Re: Maria Gosche, daughter of Nicholas Gosche

Posted: 21 Jan 2006 5:38PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: Gosche, Feck, Tirpels, Thomas, Mathias, Hammer, Strasser
This post was deleted by the author on 15 May 2014 7:05AM GMT

Re: Maria Gosche,wife of William Thomas

Posted: 22 Jan 2006 1:41AM GMT
Edited: 28 Jan 2006 12:07AM GMT
Hi Sharon, the birthdate you provided for Maria it fits very closely to the cencus data I have. The 1850 cencus shows that William's wife, listed as Mary, was 33. Using your birthdate she would have been about 34. The St. Boniface marriage register Lists her as Maria. I have reconciled the cencus data from 1840 thru 1880 and the children attruibited to William Thomas and Maria Gosche fit the information contained in the Baptismal Register of St. Boniface, New Riegel,Ohio.
In the register they spell Maria's last name 4or5 different ways but it is clear that it is Maria Gosche. I made copies of these documents when I visisted library in Tiffin. Since I live in California orginal research is difficult. If you would like copies of these documents let me know and I can Zerox them for you.

What I am trying to do is definitively connect William's wife(Maria) and the Gosche's you have done the research on. If she is one in the same I would like to "pick" your mind for the dates and names of family members. I note that the first child born to William and Maria was named Catharina(DOB 19Dec1840) and the Godparents were Nicholas Goshe and Catharina Waggoner. I suspect that Nicholas was either her brother or father but don't know.
In 1848 she had another daughter,Anna Catharina, and the Godparents were Michael Schiera and Anna Catharina Lembach.
In 1850 she had Rosalia and the Godparents were Dominick Filiather andAnna Maria Katinat. There were other children but the Godparents may have been from the Thomas side of the Family.

As I mentioned in my first posting Maria was William's second wife. He and the first wife had two children. I can determine that the second one(john) was born in Ohio. The first I don't know. I know William immigrated from Belgium, but I don't know exactly when. He resised in the New Riegel from just prior to 1840 thru 1857, when he moved to Delaware twsp, Defiance Co. I don't know if he immigrated with a wife and child or if he came alone and married when he arrived.

Anyway any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated. You can email me directly if you want at m580000@yahoo.com
Thanks for replying and I will try to intergrate the information into what I have. Mike Wise

Posted: 1 Aug 2009 10:10PM GMT
Surnames: Gosche, Goshe, Magnette, Tirples, Thomas
hello all!

i am wondering if any of this has been definitively resolved since these original posts...

particularly, is Maria Gosche, wife of William Thomas, the daughter of Nicholas and Maria (Tirples) Gosche?

also, is John Gosche (husband of Clara Magnette) the son of Nicholas and Maria (Tirples) Gosche or a nephew?? i have personally seen the Udange records and found no John (Jean) born to Nicholas and Maria, and no child born to them on 27 Jul 1822. i have, however, found a John (Jean) born to Nicholas' brother on 17 Oct 1821. someday i want to look at all the original records again, but in the meantime, has anyone else found anything that could clear this matter up?

Dean

Posted: 3 Aug 2009 6:53AM GMT
Classification: Birth
Surnames: Goshe, Gosche, Meyer, Maier, Vogt, Thomas, Yost, Merz, Schneider, Lucius, Mangette
This post was deleted by the author on 15 May 2014 7:06AM GMT

Posted: 3 Aug 2009 1:49PM GMT
Surnames: GOSCHE, GOSHE, MAGNETTE
thanks for the reply smzogen!

i am a descendant of John and Clara (Magnette) Gosche's son, Nicholas Gosche (b. 21 Jun 1859). of course John's parents are of particular interest to me.

initially i made the assumption that John was a son of Nicholas (rather than nephew), as you did, due to the name of his son. but i have since learned that it was Belgian tradition to name children after their baptismal sponsors, and this appears to have been the case for all of John's children. i suppose that doesn't mean that John's father couldn't have also been a grandson's baptismal sponsor, or that the godparent was a different Nicholas Goshe (1818 maybe?) but it does, for me, eliminate the idea that names could tell us exactly who the grandparents were.

i have never seen that Messancy page, i will have to check that out...

thanks for the info; let me know if you come up with anything new!

Dean

per page

Find a board about a specific topic