Search for content in message boards

Cole's - Delaware & Maryland

Cole's - Delaware & Maryland

Pat Beideman (View posts)
Posted: 24 Jan 2003 10:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cole, Holland, Beideman
Looking for any information on Draper Cole, Nehemiah Cole, and Manlove Cole. Nehemiah is the son of Draper b. April 1, 1779. Manlove Cole is the son of Nehemiah - Dec. 17, 1809
Manlove and wife Elizabeth Holland had the following children
James A. Cole -Sept 21, 1849
George M. Cole- Apr. 13, 1853
Mark H. Cole-July 16, 1855 * my ancestor
Harriett Cole- March 12, 1858. There are more children by a 1st marriage. I am also interested in a Coverdale Cole and a Hynson Cole. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Cole's - Delaware & Maryland

J. Longley (View posts)
Posted: 2 Dec 2003 3:54PM GMT
Do you mean the Draper Cole of Sussex Co., DE in the late 1700s? He was assessed in Cedar Ck. Hd., Sussex Co. in a probably-1784 tax list (ucky microfilm) as having just moved from Broadkiln Hd. I did not find a record that he purchased land, but Coverdale Cole of Monongalia Co. (West) VA sold land that might have been his in 1803 -- I don't have a copy of the actual deed. Do you have Draper's probate record of ca. 1799?

I have wondered whether Coverdale was a son or brother of this Draper Cole. Coverdale with wife Sophia (Poynter) Hudson Cole moved to Monongalia Co. (West) VA from Cedar Ck. Hd., Sussex Co. DE by early 1796.

I have a lot of info on Coverdale Cole and family, with some mysteries; ran out of time when I was at the DE Archives.

One intrigue: *family naming pattern* carries names Hynson or Hinson forward several generations. Eldest son of Coverdale was Hynson Cole whose 2nd eldest son was named Draper Cole. Have you found a connection with the Hynson family (the DE group probably from the Kent Co. MD Hynson clan)?

Another intrigue: A Charlotte Cole was given bequest in 1831 will of Coverdale Cole, but not called "daughter". In Monongalia Co. in 1797 she married one William Lawless who may also have moved from SXDE. Her death record suggests she was born ca. 1771/2, but census items allow for as late as 1779 or as early as 1765. Could she have been a daughter of Draper Cole or a widow of one of his sons?

Coverdale's certain children were named Esther, Elizabeth, Hynson, William and Joseph, all of whom lived and died in Monongalia Co. William had no known children, but there are myriad descendants of the others.

In your family the name *Manlove* is of interest. If you don't know the story of Boaz Manlove, do a *google* search for some biographic data (genealogies are confused due to scattered nature of records). The key point is that children named for Boaz Manlove in the 1770s or a little later may reflect a Loyalist sentiment, just as children named *Ulysses* or *Sherman* after the Civil War reflected the parents' views.

Posted: 30 Nov 2005 12:36AM GMT
Edited: 12 Dec 2005 1:52AM GMT
I would be interested in any information on Hynson Cole and Elizabeth Hurley's family. I have some Cole info, but it's sketchy... I have pictures of some Cole tombstones from Monongalia Co., WV

Jade (View posts)
Posted: 1 Dec 2005 5:22AM GMT
Dan,

A lot of documentation is available on the family of Hynson and Eliza (Hurley) Cole. You will find the wills of Hynson Cole and of each of his parents posted on the "Poynter" surname board here on Rootsweb.

Many (but not all) of this couple's descendants are documented via proceedings disposing of the estate of Eliza's father, Caleb Hurley. Hynson did not mention one daughter who was already dead by the time he made his will. Some heirs to the Hurley estate (as children of Eliza) sold their interests in that estate before the main body of land was partitioned, so they can be at least partly identified in the recorded deeds by which they sold those interests.

A specific question or two may bring responses in your areas of interest.

Posted: 22 Feb 2010 9:08PM GMT
Surnames: COLE
I'm a little confused. Are you saying that these COLE generations go like this: Draper; Nehemiah, b) 01 Apr 1779; Manlove, b) 17 Dec 1809?
There was a Hynson Cole who was a son of a Coverdale Cole.

Posted: 22 Feb 2010 9:58PM GMT
Have you determined yet whether Coverdale COLE was a son or brother of Draper COLE?
Do you know any thing more on Charlotte COLE? Could she have later m) a DAVIS?

Posted: 14 Apr 2010 10:10PM GMT
Charlotte Cole (1770s-1856), probable daughter of Coverdale (ca. 1750s-1831) did not marry a Davis.

I am not positive about what relationship there might have been between Coverdale Cole (1770s-1831) and the Draper Cole who d. in Sussex Co., DE ca. 1799.

Posted: 2 Jul 2013 12:55AM GMT
Edited: 2 Jul 2013 1:01AM GMT
was any of them kin to a earnie or louis cole they lived in kentucky dont know what year they were born or when they died louis was my great grandfather earnie was my great uncle

Posted: 4 Jul 2013 2:35PM GMT
Tammy, I'm sorry, I don't know about any Cole's in KY.
Carol Herrick
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions