Search for content in message boards

Rev Chester Otis SMITH NE > CA> AZ> IA> San Jose CA-- became a pilot at age 85

Rev Chester Otis SMITH NE > CA> AZ> IA> San Jose CA-- became a pilot at age 85

Posted: 1 Oct 2010 5:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Smith, Brotherton, Whitmore, Culver
Looking for any family of Rev. Chester Otis SMITH b 1885 NE and d 1976 in San Jose, CA. He is buried in Oak Hill Memorial Park, San Jose.

I have a copy of his obit from the San Jose Mercury News. His parents, Byron G SMITH b 1850 OH and Emma L BROTHERTON m to Shasta Co CA about 1890. Chester Otis m Lena C WHITMORE in Shasta Co in 1906. The family moved to Gila, AZ by 1920 where Lena died. Chester Otis married an Eleanor but I don't know her last name. Chester became a minister and preached in Des Moines IA for many years until his retirement when he came back to CA (San Jose). He was an energetic man who fulfilled his dream and got his pilot's license at the age of 85!

Several of his children also became ministers. Rev Donald E SMITH b 1907 in Shasta CA d 1994 in Binghamton, Broome Co, NY and Rev Franklin W SMITH b 1909 in Shasta CA, d 1997 in West Des Moines, Polk Co, IA. They officiated at their father's funeral service at the First Baptist Church in San Jose in 1976. I have the names of additional children, but won't post them since they may still be living.

I have traced this family back to the late 1700's, and would like to share this with other descendants. Please reply to this post.

Re: Rev Chester Otis SMITH NE > CA> AZ> IA> San Jose CA-- became a pilot at age 85

Posted: 12 Dec 2012 8:16AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi there, I am a relative of Chester Otis Smith who married Lena Whitmore in Whitmore Co, Shasta, CA in 1906. Chesters sister, Hazel Laura Smith was my great grandmother. I would love to chat with you more and share our knowledge about my ancestors.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions