Search for content in message boards

Michael and Jane Rourke

Michael and Jane Rourke

Eileen Sammis (View posts)
Posted: 21 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Rourke, O'Rourke, Bourke, Reynolds, Langley
Michael Rourke or O'Rourke born in Tipperary. Married to Jane Langley Reynolds. They had 5 sons, namely James, John, David, Christopher and Thomas. Michael was a convict and shipped to Australia on the "Three Bees" in 1814. His sentence was 7 years. Michael's trial was in Naas, County Kildare. The boys went to Australia on the "Morley" in 1828. I have no information of Jane, is wife except that she resided in Clane, County Kildare and did not go to Australia. Any information would be greatly apprreciated.

Re Jane O'ROURKE

Posted: 10 Nov 2004 11:28PM GMT
Surnames: O'ROURKE ROURKE
According to what I have learned Jane O'ROURKE and Michael O'ROURKE are both buried in St.Bedes Church Cemetery at Appin in New South Wales, Australia. Jane apparently arrived in Australia some time after her sons and died in 1852 at the age of 76 yrs. Michael died in 1849 also at age 76 yrs

Re: Jane O'ROURKE

Posted: 9 Aug 2008 11:56PM GMT
Surnames: Rourke, O'Rorke, O'Rourke
I have covered some of the same ground regarding Michael and Jane Rourke. The five sons that shipped out to Aus. to join Michael were not the only children of the couple. All the Aus destin brothers were born in Cty Mayo, as listed on the ship log of the ship Morley, 1828 voyage. Other children include Michael 1800, Bernard, 1811, Patrick 1814 ( my great grandfather) and William born after Michael's (the father) departure. It appears the couple had upwards of 14 or 15 children until Michael was convicted and shipped to AUS in 1814. The boys that shipped to AUS were all in mid to early twenty's while girls and youngest children were 13-14, thus the delay of Jane going to AUS.
I have letter from parish priest confirming 1814 baptism date of Patrick, Death notice of Bernard and place of death Patrick's home in SF, CA and title documents signed by Michael and conveyed from Mayo to San Francisco, the outpost of a Branch of the Family.

Posted: 22 Apr 2013 6:51PM GMT
I know it is a while since your post, however if this reaches you,there is to be a get together in may 2014, it is to celebrate the bi-centenary of the arival of michael in aus,(6th may 1814) this is an invitation going to all direct decendents of michael. my husband is directly through christopher, regards, jan hodge (37rose@gmail.com)

Posted: 22 Apr 2013 6:59PM GMT
Surnames: O'Rourke
Thank you for the alert and invite. If there is a email list my address is tjorourk11 at aol.com. My ancestor is Patrick O'Rourke his mother is Jane Langley.

Re: Michael and Jane Rourke

Posted: 13 May 2013 10:08PM GMT
You mention Hector McKenzie, I believe he was the first custom officer at Willis (border of N.S.W. & Vic.) he married an O'Rourke, which is our connection Through Christopher, son of Michael, there is a bi-centenary in Vic (May 6 2014) of arrival of Michael, cheers Janice.

Posted: 15 May 2013 2:49PM GMT
I know it's a long-shot, but here goes:

My name is Colette O'Rorke, and my great-grandfather was MICHAEL RORKE/ROURKE, born c. 1820. I'm not sure where, but possibly Kildare as he married Bridget McNally (born Celbridge c. 1825) at Catholic Church of our Lady's Nativity, Leixlip, Co. Kildare on 10 February 1852. I have their Church Marriage cert, but unfortunately no parents or townlands given. Witnesses were Margaret McNally, Laurence Mangan & Michael Mannion.
They had daughter Ann in Leixlip in Dec 1852.
They then moved to Dublin, and were there in 1857 when next daughter that I know of, Catherine Mary, was born in June 1857. Both Michael & Bridget died in Dublin too.
Their son Christopher, born Dec 1859, is my grandfather.
They also had another daughter, Mary Helena, born June 1862.

Just wondering if anyone knows about Rourke family left behind after Michael & Jane + family emigrated to Oz?

Thanks in advance for any help or info.

Colette xx

Posted: 15 May 2013 2:51PM GMT
SORRY - CORRECTION! Bridget McNally was born in MAYNOOTH, CO KILDARE (not Celbridge)

Posted: 15 May 2013 8:20PM GMT
Hi Collette, I am not sure if this helps, however for what it is worth, the Michael O' Rourke I have was Born 1774 co. kildare, came to aus. as a convict, arrived may 6 1814 ( bi-centenary being celebrated may 6 2014 in aus.) his 1st son Michael born 1800 (died 1899 ) , & stayed in Ireland, he could have married and had a son called Michael, which could be the same link, The O was taken off the surname by the English and they had to just call themselves Rourke, the children that came here were 5 sons in 1828, his wife Jane (nee Langley) arrived as a free settler on the convict ship "Suurey 11" in 1833 I know there were 18 children in total 12 boys 6 girls so far I know the youngest girl Mary married a Hector McKenzie, and he was a commissioned stock inspector (customs officer) on the Victorian border at Willis in 1874, our tree is related to Mary who was the sister of Christopher (1806-1861)Michaels 6th son,(the sons became landed gentry ) in Victoria where our tree still lives.I do not know how many Rourkes came out yet, but I think quite a few more, I hope this helps, feel free to chat, Regards, Janice

Posted: 15 May 2013 10:24PM GMT
Hi Janice, and thanks a mill for your reply.
It's so frustrating that I have Michael Rorke & Bridget McNally's Church marriage cert in 1851, but no parents or townland mentioned. Not sure if I'll ever find the info, but I'll certainly keep your Rourke family info in mind.
At the moment, I am awaiting the Y-DNA results from FTDNA of my brother Dermot, which should be available in next 3-4 weeks. Can't wait! Perhaps that will shed some light, so we're keeping our fingers crossed.
Thanks again.
Colette x
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions