and Sarah Tomlinson of Lunenburg Co. Virginia. I am
trying to determine who the parents of John W. Smith
were. Any help leading to the ancestors of John W. Smith
will be greatly appreciated.

Re: John W. Smith

Nancy Ragsdale Murphy (View posts)
Posted: 22 Mar 2004 5:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
I noticed this message was posted a couple of years ago. Have you been able to find out anything about the parents of John W. Smith? He has always been referred to as "Virginia" Smith in this area and was my great-great-great grandfather.

I would be glad to share any information I have with you. I have much on the Wyatts and John W. Smith's descendants in the Gadsden/Leon County areas of Florida.

Re: John W. "Virginia" Smith

Nancy R. Murphy (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jan 2005 7:15PM GMT
Surnames: Smith, Wyatt
A distant cousin in the Smith family told me recently that John's father was John Smith. I wish I had a lead on his wife's name.

Have you been able to find anything?

Thank you.

Posted: 4 Apr 2005 4:08PM GMT
Surnames: SMITH, WYATT
Nancy - I am related to John Smith via his son, William B. Smith and then his grandson William Erastus Smith. If you are decend from William E, I hope to meet you at the family reunion in Tallahassee this weekend. If not, I will ask all the great Aunts if they have any other recollections.

In looking at all the messages I can find on the internet about John Virginia and Martha Wyatt, a couple of things stand out. I have seen John Virginia's birthdate listed as 5/8/1789 and 8/5/1789 though most often the May date. I sometimes see the W and sometimes don't. Also, Martha Wyatt's birth and death date are the exact same which seems to be an uncanny coincidence. We are going to the burial site so I'll at least have definitive proof of what the headstones say, but I'm wondering if the dates may be the problem in tracing John 'Virginia'. I have never seen a primary source cited for either John or Martha. My father has a tendency to add a year to his age accidentally - could be that John Virginia's year of birth was a best guess? I don't know. Anyway, Brunswick and Lunenburg Counties are in striking distance to where I live. I can go over and research sometime in the next few months, but it would be helpful to have any additional information. Seems like it will be very much a case of trial and error. Wonder if anyone else has ever tried?

Posted: 7 Apr 2005 3:58PM GMT
Amy, I will send you an e-mail directly.

Posted: 7 Apr 2005 4:00PM GMT
Nancy, I will send you an e-mail directly.

Posted: 23 May 2007 2:53PM GMT
Surnames: smith
Better late than never, right? :) I am trying to find John W. Smith's parents as well, and just wondered if y'all ever figured it out. I am a descendant through William Bonner Smith and Frances Rebecca Smith. Also, if the reunion is held annually in Tallahassee, I'd love to know about the next one - I live in Tallahassee.
Thanks!

Posted: 16 Dec 2012 6:59PM GMT
Surnames: Smith
Hi . I noticed your post. John w. smith was my 3rd great grandfather. Any info would be appreciated. I hAve a little. But hoping for more. Thanks

Posted: 20 Dec 2013 11:45PM GMT
Your John, I think, was brother to my gggrandfather Richard Senter Smith. Richard had brothers; John, Clem, Ely and sister Patsy Smith Mason.

Posted: 20 Dec 2013 11:54PM GMT
The John Smith I found today researching in the Brunswick Co. Court house was John, son of Richard and Jane. Born between 1770 and 1780 in Brunswick and had brothers; Richard S. , Ely, Clem and a sister Patsy [ From Richard's will ]
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions