Search for content in message boards

POSCHENREITER

POSCHENREITER

Linda Cox (View posts)
Posted: 20 Apr 2003 1:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: POSCHENREITER, WIESNEWSKI, KERWATH
Is anyone researching the POSCHENREITER Surname. My step gg grandfather was Franz (Frank) Poschenreiter, he was an architect and an artist in Chicago in the United States. Census information says he was born in Austria 6-17-1882, and imigrated to the US in 1905, does anyone have any information on this man? I would like to find more about his family. thank you, Linda

Re: POSCHENREITER

Posted: 20 Apr 2003 2:49AM GMT
Hello Linda,

There is a record at Ellis Island for Franz Poschemciter (original ship manifest shows name is actually POSCHENREITER) arr December 01, 1906 age 24 with mother age 54 former residence Berlin, citizenship Austria, destination Chicago born in Graz, Austria (mother had another town listed as birthplace)

http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellis.html

Robert Jerin

Linda Cox (View posts)
Posted: 20 Apr 2003 3:21AM GMT
Robert, Thank you so much, I had searched for Poschenreiter in Ellis Island before, but was never able to locate him. I just recently found him in census, and got his birthplace and imigration dates, but neglected to check back in Ellis Island. Sometimes, my head spins in circles when it comes to genealogy. I am going to Ellis Island to check it out myself now, thanks again. Linda

Posted: 20 Apr 2003 11:52PM GMT
Edited: 29 Dec 2003 4:45AM GMT
In today's phone directory of Austria (www.etb.at), the name is spelt Poschenreiter, Poschenreither, and Poschenreithner. However, it does not appear in Graz or Styria. Nevertheless, it is of course possible that your ancestor was born in Graz.

If Franz was born in Graz, there are a lot of resources available for further search. First of all, LDS (the Mormons) have films of the male birth record duplicates of Graz which were made for purposes of the military draft. Since you have an exact birthdate, you could search the related film and thus obtain data on the parents, where they lived in Graz, job of the father, and more. The Mormons have also filmed the residency records of Graz. The films span the residency books (Meldebücher) written from 1876 till 1892, and the residency forms (Meldezettel) covering 1892 till 1925. The City Archive of Graz also has the census records of the 1880, 1890, 1900 and 1910 censuses, all with very detailed information, especially on the birth places of the counted inhabitants.

If Franz Poschenreiter was really born in Graz, one could find out much more about him with certainty.

Linda Cox (View posts)
Posted: 21 Apr 2003 3:32AM GMT
Fritz, Thank you for the wonderful information, looks like I have a new direction to take my reasearch, hopefully, I can find the records I need. Linda

Posted: 22 Apr 2003 12:44AM GMT
Let me know what you find, as I might make a few enquiries for you when I visit Graz next time. By the way, the birthplace of the mother in the Ellis Island record looks like Stegersbach to me which would be a town in today's southern Burgenland, pre-1921 located in Western Hungary.

Posted: 13 Oct 2003 3:30AM GMT
Linda: Are you still at your old e-mail address? I have some information for you from the archives in Graz.

The most important information is that Franz Johann Poschenreiter was indeed born in Graz, parish Mariahilf, on June 17, 1882, together with a twin sister who received the name Aloisia Anna. The parents were Johann Poschenreiter who hailed from Persenbeug in Lower Austria, and Aloisia nee Pittermann who hailed from Stegersbach, then Hungary (today Burgenland). The parents had married in Graz. However, they must later have divorced.

I have some more information which I will be happy to convey to you after confirming your e-mail address and finding the time for transcribing my notes.

Linda Cox (View posts)
Posted: 15 Oct 2003 5:27AM GMT
Hello Fritz, How wonderful to hear from you, and what a find you have for me, I can't thank you enough. Yes, my e-mail is still jbnlr@midamer.net. I will look forward to hearing from you. Linda

Re Jeno Endre Sassi von Feke

David Kingham (View posts)
Posted: 27 Oct 2003 4:53PM GMT
Good afternoon. May I impose upon you for some help and guidance. I am trying to find the above man who is the father of my partner, Christine Allen. He was born in or near Debrecen in March 1924. He apparently had lands in The Plains near Debrecen. Where are The Plains? North, South, East or West of Debrecen? Can you tell us which are the Christian names and which is the surname? What does ' von Feke ' mean? Is it possible to obtain his birth certificate? Will the registration of the the birth still be recorded in Debrecen? If so, where do we go to obtain a copy of the certificate? Will we be able to have a copy of his birth? Is it possible to obtain a copy through the Internet? He emigrated to Canada and has dissappeared. Any reply will be much appreciated. Where are you located? Best Regards David Kingham (UK)

Re: Re Jeno Endre Sassi von Feke

Posted: 28 Oct 2003 4:02AM GMT
Jenö Endre (Eugene Andrew) appear to be the first names, though it is hard to believe that your partner does not know the precise name of her father. There are Sass and Feke families in Hungary. The term "von" is German and means "from" (also used to designate nobility in German). Therefore, the question is where precisely do you have the name from, in this particular writing? Have you provided all the diacritics on top of vocals? Are you absolutely sure of the spelling of the name?

The "plains near Debrecen" might mean anywhere near Debrecen, as Debrecen is surrounded by plains.

Why did you post at the board for Austria? The first names are definitely Hungarian though you did not give us the diacritics on the vocals.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions