Search for content in message boards

Need help with Smiths of Valtos, Lewis

Need help with Smiths of Valtos, Lewis

Posted: 16 Aug 2011 7:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Aug 2011 5:00PM GMT
Surnames: Smith, Nicholson, MacRitchie, MacMillan, MacLennan, MadKay, Matheson, MacIver, MacGregor, MacDonald
I am looking for any descendants of the Smith family listed below. I think that the wife of Angus Smith should be Mary Nicholson and not MacRitchie. I believe that I am connected to this family through a brother of Angus Smith from Valtos.

Angus SMITH was born 1797 in Valtos, Isle of Lewis, Scotland. He married Mary MACRITCHIE. She was born 1805 in Isle of Lewis.

Children of Angus SMITH and Mary MACRITCHIE are:
i. Donald SMITH was born 1828 in Isle of Lewis, Scotland, and died 1883. Married Catherine MacAulay.

ii. John SMITH was born 1833 in Isle of Lewis, Scotland, and died August 14, 1904 in Ripley?. Married Margaret MacMillan

iii. Mary SMITH was born 1836 in Isle of Lewis, Scotland, and died 1918. Married (1) Alex MacLennan, (2) John Q. MacKay

iv. Marion SMITH was born 1836 in Isle of Lewis, Scotland, and died 1928. She married Alex MATHESON, son of Donald MATHESON and Catherine MACIVER. He was born 1833, and died 1921.

v. Catherine SMITH was born 1840 in Isle of Lewis, Scotland, and died 1916. She married Murdo MACGREGOR, son of Donald MACGREGOR and Catherine MACDONALD. He was born 1834.

vi. Malcolm SMITH was born 1842 in Isle of Lewis, Scotland.

Re: Need help with Smiths of Valtos, Lewis

Posted: 16 Aug 2011 11:12PM GMT
Edited: 17 Aug 2011 5:01PM GMT
Surnames: Smith, Matheson, Nicholson, MacKay, MacRitchie
On Marion Smith Matheson's death registration, her parents are given as Angus Smith and Mary Nicholson, both b Scotland. Huron Tsp, Bruce County.

Mary Smith MacKays parents are also given as Angus Smith & Mary Nicholson on her death rego.

No parental information required on Donald Smith's rego.
Gives date as 6 Jan 1885, aged 56.
Could be a different Donald Smith.

I see on IGI that their mother's name is given as Mary MacRitchie. Could she have been married twice?

Posted: 17 Aug 2011 3:46PM GMT
Edited: 17 Aug 2011 5:02PM GMT
Surnames: MacRitchie, Nicholson, Smith
Thank you for your reply. I have found this MacRitchie/Nicholson surname mistake to be quite puzzling.
The IGI birth records for the children of Angus Smith show the mother's name as Mary MacRitchie.

The marriage registration for Angus' daughter Catherine shows her mother's name as Mary Nicholson.

The marriage registration for Angus' daughter Marion shows her mother's name as Mary Nicholson as well.

I believe the daughters' information over IGI's records.
I have found no indication that Angus Smith was married more than once.

Thanks again for your help.

Posted: 8 Feb 2013 6:05PM GMT
Edited: 9 Feb 2013 12:12PM GMT
Surnames: Macritchies, Nicholson
Check out this story about Macritchies changing their name to Nicholson.

There is an unconnected family of Nicolsons in Uig, who had originally been Macritchies but changed their name. Malcolm Nicolson, born c1750, resided in Carnish. He had at least two sons: Norman, born c1770, who was a tenant on Vuia Mhor in c1809-1840 and Kenneth, b1786, who emigrated to Canada in 1841 with his family. Norman left Vuia shortly before it was cleared in 1841 and was a tenant in Carnish, until it too was cleared. He was living with his daughter Peggy at the time and when she and her family removed to Canada in 1851, Norman went to his son Malcolm at Airidh na Beiste near Stornoway. The Nicolsons living latterly in Crowlista were of this family, descended from Norman's son Murdo.

http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/805107/person/-1069113600/sto...

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 1:22AM GMT
Edited: 9 Feb 2013 12:13PM GMT
Surnames: Smith, Campbell
This is very interesting and does seem to solve the riddle.
Thank you for sharing this.
Now if I can only find any information on Neil Smith b. 1811 who married Christina Campbell in 1828 in Barvas/Stornoway. He must have had siblings! The same applies to Christina - both of them are my brick walls.
Thanks again.
Dave
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions