Search for content in message boards

Gibson Family kentucky -Virginia

Gibson Family kentucky -Virginia

Posted: 16 Mar 2004 3:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 16 Mar 2004 8:00PM GMT
My Gibson family seem to move between KENTUCKY,VIRGINIA, WEST VIRGINIA . Martin Gibson was my g-g-g-g-g-grandfather (m) Matilda (unknow).Their son George (m) Mary Daniels,they had a son John Werth who (m) Hannah Hulda Thomas.I have many more Gibson names. My grandfather Donald Gibson is stilling in Virginia .Hoping for help from anyone.

Re: Gibson Family kentucky -Virginia

m Highland (View posts)
Posted: 31 Mar 2004 6:57PM GMT
Surnames: Gibson, Gipson
My grandafther and his forefathers were all Gibsons from Virginia and Kentucky and I have a Martin Jr. Gibson who married a Matilda Davis in Pike County, Ky on July 6, 1833.
Resource: Pike County Marriages from book Pioneer Families of Eastern and Southeastern Ky by William C. Kozee. Hope this helps...

Posted: 11 Jul 2004 7:56PM GMT

Hello, do you have any information on Martin Gibson (senior)? Martin Gibson (junior) was my great,great,great, great grandfather's (Joel Gibson) brother. The first that I know of them they are in Tazewell, Virginia. I would appreciate any help you can give me. I will help you anyway that I can. Thank you.

MHighland (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jul 2004 8:42PM GMT
Currently on vacation, will reply with what I have on Martin Gibson Sr. as soon as I return.

Posted: 2 Aug 2004 5:02PM GMT
I am working on very early Gibson families in Floyd Co. KY that came from Scott Co. VA and NC.

Do you have Martin Gibson, Sr.'s parents?

Were they Archibald Gibson , Sr. & Bethsheba "Vashti" Cole both died in IN?

Do you have the children & their spouses of Archibald Gibson, Sr. and Vashti?

I believe that William Gibson b. abt. 1770 VA died after 1850 Pike Co. KY is a brother to Archibald Gibson.

William Gibson had a son Joel Gibson that married 1. Mary "Polly" Spears May 20, 1829 Pike Co. KY. Married 2. Rhoda "Rody" (Havins) Raines, 10 AUG 1865, Pike Co. KY.

Rhoda Havins married 1. Marriage 1 Charles D. Rains b: ABT 1831 in Kentucky Married: 25 DEC 1855 in Pike Co., KY

Marriage of Joel Gibson & Polly Speers/Mary "Polly" Spears
I believe that Lambert Gibson is a brother to Joel Gibson. Lambert Gibson can be found in census of Scott Co. VA.

SOURCE: Book, MARRIAGE BONDS PIKE CO. KY 1822-1865 By Clyde Runyon
File# 223. License issued May 20, 1829 by James Honaker CPCC, for marriage of Joel Gipson and Polly Speers, oral consent being given by William Gibson, father of Joel. Bond signed by Joel Gipson and Lambert Gibson (by marks). Letter, dated May 21, 1829 requesting license for Joel Gipson and Polly Sears; signed by Lambert Gipson and Reuben May and sworn to by Lambert Gibson on May 21, 1829. Joel Gipson and Polly Speers, married May 20,(?) 1829, given under my hand this 26th of May 1829, Theophilus Powell, JPC.

Sarah Ann

Gibson, Gipson (View posts)
Posted: 7 Aug 2004 10:21PM GMT
Surnames: Gibson, Gipson of Pike CO, KY
Hi, I always wondered about Lambert Gibson? I didnt know where that connection came in. Also you may be right about Archibald being the brother to said William Gipson. I was wondering where u got the info? I have been at a standstill with this.... I have been trying to find the parents of said David Dameron Gipson in the 1850 census. He is in the household of William and Elizabeth 80 yrs old.
The William Gipson listed in the 1850 Pike County census is the grandfather to the David Gipson 16yrs old also listed. This David is "David Dameron Gipson,Gibson" my ggrandfather.

Posted: 8 Aug 2004 5:03AM GMT
Edited: 18 May 2005 10:03PM GMT
I have been working on my Gibson ancestors for many, many years. Back abt. 1995 I received from Fred Reed a Gibson File, his ancestors. I have so many ties into this Gibson Family, things just start falling into place.

It is impossible for me to say that all of the information in the file that Fred Reed sent to me is verified and totally correct; but with so many Gibson researchers working on this Gibson Line using legal records, census, tax records, etc. I believe believe that these records verify much of the information.

Generation 4.
James Gibson, Jr. b. Abt. 1717 Clogher, Tyrone, Ireland died after 1820 Scott Co. VA (he was in 1820 Scott Co. VA census)
Marriage 1. Unknown Abt. 1745 Bedford Co. VA

Marriage 2. Ruth Eastep/Estep December 15, 1782 Russell Co. VA.

James and Ruth (Eastep/Estep) Gibson were members of the Stony Creek Baptist Church Fort Blackmore, Scott County Virginia

Children of James Gibson & Unknown :
1. Andrew Gibson b. Abt. 1748
2. Joel Gibson b. Abt. 1750
3. James Gibson b. Abt. Abt. 1752
4. Thomas Gibson b. Abt. 1754
5. Archibald Gibson , Sr. b. Abt. 1760 Pittsylvania Co. VA

NOTE: Not every researcher seems to agree on the children of Archibald Gibson & Bethsheba "Vashti" Cole.

6. John Gibson b. November 03, 1762 Pittsylvania Co. VA Marriage 1. Phoebe "Pheby" Hendricks b.February 26, 1760 daughter of THOMAS HENDRICKS and SARAH VAN HOOK; married Abt. 1780 d. Bef. March 01, 1831 Pulaski Co., KY Marriage 2. Rachel Unknown July 15, 1819 Pulaski Co. KY

Note: P. 98 Court Order Book 3, Part one, Russell County, Va: " Two indentures from John and Pheobe Gibson, one to William Garrett and one to Henry Hinton recorded."

Children of JOHN GIBSON and PHOEBE HENDRICKS are:
i. JOHN GIBSON, Jr.

ii. SARAH "SALLIE" GIBSON, m. WILLIAM RICHARDSON.

iii. MARTIN GIBSON, b. November 24, 1782, Russell Co. VA; d. February 07, 1876, Boone Co., Missouri; m. PATIENCE BURK, March 27, 1804, Pulaski Co., KY.

iv. MARY "POLLY" GIBSON, b. Abt. 1786; m. JOEL ROBERTS, September 29, 1808, Pulaski County, KY.

v. THOMAS GIBSON, b. Abt. 1788.

vi. REBECCA GIBSON, b. Abt. 1790, Russell Co. VA or Kentucky; d. Bef. 1880, Knott Co. KY; m. CHARLES HICKS, 1814, Russell Co. VA; b. Abt. 1789, Russell Co. VA; d. August 23, 1880, Mousie, Knott Co. KY.

Note: See Deed Book 5, page 534 Russell County, Virginia for indenture made March 4, 1817 between JOHN GIBSON and Margaret, his wife, and CHARLES HICKS and REBECCA his wife, re land of Samuel Van Hook conveyed to Samuel, DEED DATED Feb. 28, 1797; and by said Hendrix conveyed to John Gibson and Rebecca Gibson WHO HATH SINCE INTERMARRIED WITH THE SAID CHARLES HICKS)---Marriage 1 Charles Hicks b: ABT. 1789 Married: 1814 in Russel County, Va.

NOTE: My gr. grandmother Catharine "Kate, Caty" Gibson was living near Charles Hicks in 1870 Perry Co. KY. Have always believed that my Kate & Rebecca Gibson were related, it appears they are second cousins.

Charles Hicks, of Perry County, an old soldier of 1812, passed from among the living a few days ago." - Pinetop News, Mountain Echo, Oct. 1, 1880, page 4, column 4
Burial: Charles Hicks Cemetery, Knott Co. KY

vii. ANDREW GIBSON, b. 1792.

viii. JOHN GIBSON, JR..

ix. PHOEBE GIBSON, m. (1) MICHAEL BUSTER, January 05, 1821; m. (2) MICHAEL BUSTER, January 05, 1821.

x. ELIZABETH " BETSY" GIBSON, b. 1794; m. THOMAS SMITH, February 12, 1812, Pulaski Co. KY.

7. Ezekiel Gibson b. Abt. 1765 Pittsylvania Co. VA

8. Margaret "Peggy" Gibson b. October 21, 1769 Bedford Co. VA Marriage 1. Samuel Hendricks d. November 29, 1846

9. WILLIAM GIBSON b. Abt. 1770 Bedford Co. VA or Russell Co. VA Marriage 1. Mary? Unknown Marriage 2. Elizabeth (Unknown) Swinney. Second marriage for both William & Elizabeth. researcher says they married 1817 in Floyd Co. KY, but I have never been able to verify this or find their marriage record in the Floyd Co. KY courthouse.

10. Jane "Jenny" Gibson b. Abt. 1771 Bedford Co. VA or Russell Co. VA Marriage 1. Samuel Allen d. 1828

11. Isaac Gibson b. Abt. 1772 Bedford Co. VA or Russell Co. VA Marriage 1. Mary Johnson

12. Elizabeth Gibson b. Abt. 1773 Russell Co. VA Marriage 1. Unknown McKee (this could be McGee?) d. November 17, 1857 Pulaski Co. KY

13. Luela Gibson b. Abt. 1774 Russell Co. VA Marriage 1. Ambrose Larkin Selsor/Sulcer b. Abt. 1770 Buncombe or Rutherford Co., NC Married Abt. 1787 Rutherford Co. NC d. 1827 Tennessee

14. Mary "Polly" Gibson b. Abt. 1775 Russell Co. VA Marriage 1. David Hendricks b. 1765 Russell Co. VA Married in Russell Co. VA or Person Co. NC

15. Anna Gibson b. Abt. 1776 Russell Co. VA Marriage 1. Thomas Murphy b. Abt. 1775 VA

Children of James Gibson & Ruth Eastep/Estep:
16. Elizabeth Gibson b. Abt. 1794 Russell Co. VA

17. Charity Gibson b. Abt. 1800 d. December 21, 1856 Pike Co. KY Marriage 1. William Branham b. Bet. 1796 - 1800 Virginia, son of Turner Branham & Mary "Polly" Mott.
Children:
William Branham d.1834 Floyd Co. KY

If you will e-mail at my own e-mail address sar@bright.net I can send you the entire Gibson Family File by attachment.

Sarah Ann

bonnie vance (View posts)
Posted: 9 Aug 2004 10:41PM GMT
Interested in Gibson line- have you came across any Hatfields in your line? My grandfather was George Gibson Hatfield- born 1934 in Wayne Co. KY- I am not positive but have enough reason to believe his mother's maiden name was Gibson .

Bonnie Vance (View posts)
Posted: 9 Aug 2004 10:43PM GMT
Sorry- have to make correction- gggrandfather born in 1832-George Gibson Hatfield

Posted: 10 Aug 2004 2:54PM GMT
I do have a Moore & Hatfield and Chaney - Hatfield marriages in one of my Moore Family lines:

Dorcas Moore b. September 12, 1831 Scott Co. VA, died Pike Co. KY , dau. of Ephraim Moore & Angeline "Jane" McGee.
Marriage 1. John W. Chaney 1859 in Pike Co. KY
Children:
Louisa Chaney married Alvin Hatfield 1876 Pike Co. KY
Priscilla 'Pricey' A. Chaney married Joseph Hatfield III

Dorcas Moore Chaney married #2. Joseph Hatfield II b. Abt. 1824. Married: 1874 Pike Co. KY.
Children:
Vandora Hatfield married William Spencer
Victoria Hatfield married Manuel Riddle

Let me know if any of these names are known to you.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic