I have been working on my Gibson ancestors for many, many years. Back abt. 1995 I received from Fred Reed a Gibson File, his ancestors. I have so many ties into this Gibson Family, things just start falling into place.
It is impossible for me to say that all of the information in the file that Fred Reed sent to me is verified and totally correct; but with so many Gibson researchers working on this Gibson Line using legal records, census, tax records, etc. I believe believe that these records verify much of the information.
James Gibson, Jr. b. Abt. 1717 Clogher, Tyrone, Ireland died after 1820 Scott Co. VA (he was in 1820 Scott Co. VA census)
Marriage 1. Unknown Abt. 1745 Bedford Co. VA
Marriage 2. Ruth Eastep/Estep December 15, 1782 Russell Co. VA.
James and Ruth (Eastep/Estep) Gibson were members of the Stony Creek Baptist Church Fort Blackmore, Scott County Virginia
Children of James Gibson & Unknown :
1. Andrew Gibson b. Abt. 1748
2. Joel Gibson b. Abt. 1750
3. James Gibson b. Abt. Abt. 1752
4. Thomas Gibson b. Abt. 1754
5. Archibald Gibson , Sr. b. Abt. 1760 Pittsylvania Co. VA
NOTE: Not every researcher seems to agree on the children of Archibald Gibson & Bethsheba "Vashti" Cole.
6. John Gibson b. November 03, 1762 Pittsylvania Co. VA Marriage 1. Phoebe "Pheby" Hendricks b.February 26, 1760 daughter of THOMAS HENDRICKS and SARAH VAN HOOK; married Abt. 1780 d. Bef. March 01, 1831 Pulaski Co., KY Marriage 2. Rachel Unknown July 15, 1819 Pulaski Co. KY
Note: P. 98 Court Order Book 3, Part one, Russell County, Va: " Two indentures from John and Pheobe Gibson, one to William Garrett and one to Henry Hinton recorded."
Children of JOHN GIBSON and PHOEBE HENDRICKS are:
i. JOHN GIBSON, Jr.
ii. SARAH "SALLIE" GIBSON, m. WILLIAM RICHARDSON.
iii. MARTIN GIBSON, b. November 24, 1782, Russell Co. VA; d. February 07, 1876, Boone Co., Missouri; m. PATIENCE BURK, March 27, 1804, Pulaski Co., KY.
iv. MARY "POLLY" GIBSON, b. Abt. 1786; m. JOEL ROBERTS, September 29, 1808, Pulaski County, KY.
v. THOMAS GIBSON, b. Abt. 1788.
vi. REBECCA GIBSON, b. Abt. 1790, Russell Co. VA or Kentucky; d. Bef. 1880, Knott Co. KY; m. CHARLES HICKS, 1814, Russell Co. VA; b. Abt. 1789, Russell Co. VA; d. August 23, 1880, Mousie, Knott Co. KY.
Note: See Deed Book 5, page 534 Russell County, Virginia for indenture made March 4, 1817 between JOHN GIBSON and Margaret, his wife, and CHARLES HICKS and REBECCA his wife, re land of Samuel Van Hook conveyed to Samuel, DEED DATED Feb. 28, 1797; and by said Hendrix conveyed to John Gibson and Rebecca Gibson WHO HATH SINCE INTERMARRIED WITH THE SAID CHARLES HICKS)---Marriage 1 Charles Hicks b: ABT. 1789 Married: 1814 in Russel County, Va.
NOTE: My gr. grandmother Catharine "Kate, Caty" Gibson was living near Charles Hicks in 1870 Perry Co. KY. Have always believed that my Kate & Rebecca Gibson were related, it appears they are second cousins.
Charles Hicks, of Perry County, an old soldier of 1812, passed from among the living a few days ago." - Pinetop News, Mountain Echo, Oct. 1, 1880, page 4, column 4
Burial: Charles Hicks Cemetery, Knott Co. KY
vii. ANDREW GIBSON, b. 1792.
viii. JOHN GIBSON, JR..
ix. PHOEBE GIBSON, m. (1) MICHAEL BUSTER, January 05, 1821; m. (2) MICHAEL BUSTER, January 05, 1821.
x. ELIZABETH " BETSY" GIBSON, b. 1794; m. THOMAS SMITH, February 12, 1812, Pulaski Co. KY.
7. Ezekiel Gibson b. Abt. 1765 Pittsylvania Co. VA
8. Margaret "Peggy" Gibson b. October 21, 1769 Bedford Co. VA Marriage 1. Samuel Hendricks d. November 29, 1846
9. WILLIAM GIBSON b. Abt. 1770 Bedford Co. VA or Russell Co. VA Marriage 1. Mary? Unknown Marriage 2. Elizabeth (Unknown) Swinney. Second marriage for both William & Elizabeth. researcher says they married 1817 in Floyd Co. KY, but I have never been able to verify this or find their marriage record in the Floyd Co. KY courthouse.
10. Jane "Jenny" Gibson b. Abt. 1771 Bedford Co. VA or Russell Co. VA Marriage 1. Samuel Allen d. 1828
11. Isaac Gibson b. Abt. 1772 Bedford Co. VA or Russell Co. VA Marriage 1. Mary Johnson
12. Elizabeth Gibson b. Abt. 1773 Russell Co. VA Marriage 1. Unknown McKee (this could be McGee?) d. November 17, 1857 Pulaski Co. KY
13. Luela Gibson b. Abt. 1774 Russell Co. VA Marriage 1. Ambrose Larkin Selsor/Sulcer b. Abt. 1770 Buncombe or Rutherford Co., NC Married Abt. 1787 Rutherford Co. NC d. 1827 Tennessee
14. Mary "Polly" Gibson b. Abt. 1775 Russell Co. VA Marriage 1. David Hendricks b. 1765 Russell Co. VA Married in Russell Co. VA or Person Co. NC
15. Anna Gibson b. Abt. 1776 Russell Co. VA Marriage 1. Thomas Murphy b. Abt. 1775 VA
Children of James Gibson & Ruth Eastep/Estep:
16. Elizabeth Gibson b. Abt. 1794 Russell Co. VA
17. Charity Gibson b. Abt. 1800 d. December 21, 1856 Pike Co. KY Marriage 1. William Branham b. Bet. 1796 - 1800 Virginia, son of Turner Branham & Mary "Polly" Mott.
William Branham d.1834 Floyd Co. KY
If you will e-mail at my own e-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org
I can send you the entire Gibson Family File by attachment.