Search for content in message boards

Looking for info on Lindsey Spears

Looking for info on Lindsey Spears

Posted: 29 Oct 2002 4:12AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Jan 2003 1:50AM GMT
Surnames: Spears, Blevins, Mollette
Looking for info on Lindsey Spears, not much known, he married Ester Blevins Spears. Ester had a large name, Ester Jamime Artie Loucinda Emiline Blevins Spears. Lindsey and Ester had a daughter named Bertha who married James Mollette. In info would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Looking for info on Lindsey Spears

Posted: 30 Nov 2002 2:24PM GMT
Surnames: spears
I too am researching Lindsey and Louisa Spears. They are my gggrandparents. I have some information on their children, but not very much on them. Would be happy to share what I have if it will help you. While Ester Jemimia ... had a long name, it appears from all the records I have found so far that she went by Louisa. Also, I had alway thought that her maiden name was Bowens, however I found a marriage record that indicates she was a Blevins. Do you know anything about this?

Posted: 2 Dec 2002 1:32AM GMT
Edited: 22 Jan 2003 1:50AM GMT
Surnames: Spears, Mollett, Blevens, Wells
Yes, from my records Louisa was a Blevins. For some reason my father thought she was a Bowens too. I have alot of info on the Mollett side but not alot on the Spears. I have alot on the Wells also, I would be glad to share what I have. Just let me know.

Posted: 20 Feb 2004 8:15AM GMT
Lindsey Spears-my great grandfather, was the son of Wiley Marion Spears and Elizabeth Artie Butcher this info was given to me from my grandmother Maggie May Mollett Spears who was married to Joe Spears (son of Lindsey Spears and Louisa Blevins Spears) Below is a copy of the 1870, 1880, and 1900 census

1870 census Johnson County census/transcribed by Kaylene Lowe

30 Adam CRUM 64 M W Farmer KY
Elizabeth (SPEARS nee BUTCHER) 40 F W ( m Mar 14 1860) VA
James W CRUM 12 M W Work on Farm KY
Martin SPEARS 17 M W Work on Farm KY
( b 14 Feb 1859 Jo Co Ky parents Wiley SPEARS & Elizabeth BUTCHER) jvs
Lisey B L SPEARS 13 M W ( Linsey SPEARS b abt 1854) KY

1880 federal census ( Census Place Greasey, Johnson, Kentucky Family History Library Film 1254425 NA Film Number T9-0425 Page Number 187B.

Linsey B. SPEAR Self M Male W 26 KY KY KY
Louisa SPEAR Wife M Female W 20 KY KY KY
Mary SPEAR Dau S Female W 4 KY KY KY
Nancy SPEAR Dau S Female W 2 KY KY KY
Zilpha SPEAR Dau S Female W 4M KY KY KY

1900 federal census (U. S. Federal Census for 1900 for Lindsey Spears, Census Microfilm Records: Kentucky, 1900 Lived in: 2 District, Johnson County, Kentucky Series: T623 Microfilm: 534 Book: 1 Page: 170.

SPEARS, Lindsay Head Jul 1853 46 M 25 KY KY KY Farmer
Louisa wife Apr 1857 43 M 25 KY KY KY
Moses Son May 1884 16 S KY KY KY Farmer
Viola Dghtr Jan 1887 13 S KY KY KY School
Joseph Son Apr 1888 12 S KY KY KY Farmer
ISAAC Son Jul 1890 9 S KY KY KY School
Jacob Son Feb 1896 4 S KY KY KY

they were in the 1910 census and the 1920 census, however Lindsey Spears died April 6, 1926 in Johnson County, Ky age at time of death was 76. ( KY Social Security death Index for Lindsey Spears, Volume: 32 Certificate: 15663)

Elizabeth Butcher was first married to Wiley Marion Spears, see 1850 census for Johnson County, Ky transcribed by Kaylene Lowe shown below:

564 SPEARS Wiley M 24 Farmer KY
(Wiley SPEARS d Mar 1859 of Consumption parents Thomas & ? SPEARS) jvs
(BUTCHER) Elizabeth 23 ( m 12 Dec 1846 Johnson Co Ky) KY
SPEARS Francis J 2 KY
SPEARS Arta 12-Jun KY

after Wiley Marion Spears died she married for a second time Adam Crum in 1860. Once you get to this point the rest is fairly simple for Lindsey Spears, however, the Easter Jemima Arta LouCinda Emmaline Blevins, gets very complicated. Linsey B. L. Spears first married Mahala Jane Ward, daughter of Hiram Ward and Mary Polly Johnson, it appears that she died between 1870 and 1880. Johnson County marriage records have her marrying Linsey Spears in 1871. However, by the 1880 census Louisa is shown to be the second wife of Linsey Spears. According to Billie Edyth Ward, author of the WARD a genealogical record of the Wards of Big Sandy, Gateway Press Inc., Baltimore Md 1999, pages 70 and 71 explain how Hiram Wards' step daughter......Louisa Blevins is the second wife of Linsey Spears, she is shown to be the daughter of Margaret Peggy Blevins. My father and grandmother both say she was a Bowling by birth, however, Margaret Peggy Blevins never married her father, instead she married a Blevins and to be honest im still looking to see if I can find any info regarding Margaret Peggys marriage to ? Blevins, but according to family gossip, Louisa took the name of Blevins and her natural father is unknown other than the rumor that her father was a Bowling who never married her mother. Another part of the gossip is that Louisa had another sister name unknown, and a brother.......his name William J. Blevins supposedly a Bowling as well. My grandmother said she had a brother named Jacob Bowling, not sure if William J. Blevins is one and the same or not..........as I said, the Louisa part gets very complicated and Im not sure if I have it completely figured out, but with family stories and what info I have attained, Im hoping someone can take this information and maybe we can all get past the Louisa Spears issue. The Linsey Spears side is there in black and white, and is correct. Hope this helps you out

Posted: 29 Mar 2013 3:02AM GMT
Surnames: Spears,Blevins,Ward,Holmes,Jennings,Spencer
Hello.....my GG grandfather is also Lindsey Spears...I just started looking at my mothers mother side Ward/Spears a few days ago...this post has helped alot.... my family says Easter(Ester)Jemima Arta(Artie)LouCinda Emmaline Blevins was the local medician woman in Kentucky and she was part cherokee....I was wondering if you heard that? Lindsey and Louisa's(and with all those names, why does she go by Louisa?) daughter Nancy married a Christopher Ward..I am searching that line as well and found his father King Solomon Ward and his wife Susan Jane Baldridge(that line goes back to 1392 to the holmes-jennings-spencer line) I know this is an old post but maybe you are still out there. Thank you for your information. smithkjv at yahoo
Donna

Posted: 9 May 2014 4:39PM GMT
Hi Donna, My great, great, grandma is (Louisa) Ester Artie Lucinda Jemmimah Blevins Spears. Have you been able to find out anymore on this family? I am from the Ithaca New York area, my parents moved here in 1952 from Tomahawk Kentucky and I grew up hearing stories about Grandma Grey or Grandma Spears. I always thought it was two different grandmothers and it was the same person. I do have a photo of her and would love to share. It looks like there are a lot of people looking into her and maybe we could start a Facebook page to see if anyone else has information.
Thank you, Penny

Posted: 9 May 2014 10:11PM GMT
Surnames: Spears
Hi Penny
Thank you for writing to me.. My email is smithkjv at yahoo. I too have a picture of Louisa when she was older that I can share with you, hope it's not the same one.. That would be funny. She is also my Gr Gr Grandmother. My Mother and aunt say she was part Cherokee Indian but I'm not sure if that's correct. I have some info on the family and hear say stories I can share . Send me an email and we can compare and swap phone numbers. It's so interesting meeting cousins as I do this research on all the different lines of my family tree.
I live in Mobile Al , have 5 daughters and 12 grandchildren! Hoping to find solid facts to be able to pass on to them.
Thanks again and hope to hear from you soon.
Donna

Posted: 16 May 2014 1:57PM GMT
Hi Donna,

I sent a message via e-mail, I don't know if you have received it yet. Let me know if you haven't.

Penny
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions