Search for content in message boards

The earliest Lightfoots in Virginia

The earliest Lightfoots in Virginia

Nancy M Trunnell (View posts)
Posted: 10 Nov 2005 7:53AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lightfoot
I am very new at this! I am descended from a Lightfoot family from England. My paternal grandmother (now deceased) hand-wrote some family history notes. In those notes, she states that the first Lightfoots arrived in America on the Sea Venture which landed at Sandy Hook, Virginia, in 1608. That seems awfully early to me. She said they were barristers from England. I think it was two brothers named John and Philip. However, I found in another website that these two brothers landed in Virginia circa 1670. This is a huge discrepancy. I was just wondering if the Lightfoots are mentioned in your book. My great-great grandfather was Capt. John Ashby Lightfoot, born in Adair, Kentucky, but most likely descended from the Virginia Lightfoots. Thanks in advance.

Re: The earliest Lightfoots in Virginia

Cary Adams (View posts)
Posted: 3 Dec 2005 6:37PM GMT
Nancy,

There is no mention of a Lightfoot on the lists of the three Virginia Company charters, 1607, 1609, and 1612.

The Colonial Virginia Register gives the following:

John Lightfoot, of New Kent County, Va., Councillor 1692, born England, died Va. 1707

Philip Lightfoot, of "Sandy Point", Charles City County, Va., born 1689 Va., died 1748.

Hope this helps -

Christine Normo (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jan 2006 5:37AM GMT
The Lightfoots of Virginia and England are also my ancestors... we are distant cousins ! I am descended from John Lightfoot and Goodrich Lightfoot. Our family settled in Oregon.

Christine

Nancy Trunnell (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jan 2006 7:44AM GMT
It's always nice to meet distant cousins. I was searching for early Lightfoots because I was writing up a piece on Capt. John Ashby Lightfoot, who is my great-great grandfather on my father's side. He was born in Adair, KY and fought for the north in the Civil War. He ended up in Illinois. In the little I know of the Lightfoots, there seem to be a lot of John's and Philip's, so it's hard to know who's who. But I believe my Lightfoots also came from England via Virginia.

Christine Normo (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jan 2006 4:52AM GMT
Hi Nancy, please contact me at my home e-mail c_normo@msn.com and we can compare some notes on the lightfoots. It will be fun to see how close of cousins we are. I live in Seattle.

Christine

Posted: 16 Jan 2006 1:13PM GMT
Edited: 27 Nov 2006 9:49PM GMT
Surnames: SCOTT,MARTIN,POWELL,BRODIE,BRADBERRY
Have any of you Lightfoot researchers figured out who the Lightfoot is in a business partnership with the Taylor & Scott family? Some evidence leads me to believe the Taylor is the Jonas Taylor family and the Scott the Thomas Scott family all ship builders in Norfolk Co. VA during the 1700s. Here is a record of the business partnership:
Norfolk Co. Db 29, page 242, date of deed 11 Feb 1786, date recorded 20 Mar 1786, Taylor, Lightfoot and Scott,
merchants and copartners of the Island of Antigua, to Robert Taylor, Esquire of Virginia, Power of Attorney to
handle their affairs in Virginia, Signed Taylor, Lightfoot & Scott, wit. R. Cuming, John Gillis, proved by Gillis.

Posted: 3 Mar 2007 5:13PM GMT
I too have a Lightfoot connection.
Elizabeth Lightfoot, a daughter or William Lightfoot married Benjamin Lillard in Richmond Va, abt 1723/24. I am trying to find out more about this Lightfoot family. I have found many William Lightfoots, but can not link them to my Wm. If anyone can shed some light on this it would be appreciated.

Posted: 19 May 2007 11:46PM GMT
Surnames: Spencer, Lightfoot
Cary, I too have Lightfoot ancestors that are to have lived very early on in Jamestown. I have found but not proved an Alice Lightfoot married William Spencer. I'm not sure of the date but they had a child, Alice, born about 1620. I descend from another daughter, Elizabeth, birthdate unknown. Elizabeth married a Robert Shepard. Their daughter Anne married Willaim Newsom. I have good documentation from this couple forward.

Cary, how complete and accurate are the charter documents? I have not seen these records. Where would I find them? You seem very familiar with good source documents. Your help is appreciated.

Diane Hoyt

per page

Find a board about a specific topic