Search for content in message boards

British subjects born in British Guiana mid 1800's

British subjects born in British Guiana mid 1800's

Posted: 3 Aug 2000 8:00AM GMT
Edited: 17 Apr 2003 10:16AM GMT
I am trying to trace the birth of Matthew, Richard and William Steele all born in Demarera, British Guiana. Approximate birth years Matthew 1839, Richard 1848 and William 1850.
I have tried the General Register Office in Georgetown but there records don't go back that far.
Does anyone have any ideas as to where else I might try.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Demerara to NZ

Posted: 17 Sep 2000 2:42AM GMT
Edited: 13 Nov 2001 8:15AM GMT
Joseph was born c1835 @ Demerara British Guyana, as it was then. He supposidly became a mariner, we have not been able to site any information of his birth,records I have been told are not held at Georgetown. Joseph went to New Zealand, married in 1862 lived @ Rutherglen,south island where he was gold mining. He and his wife Eliza Saunders had 13 children. Joseph died in 1889. We have been told he may have changed his name from BOUCHER. It is possible he was born too early for registrations, but it would be great to know if anyone where the BDM's are kept. Maybe too someone out there is connected to this family tree, would love to hear from you. my name is Marydell.

Re: Demerara to NZ

Posted: 2 Nov 2001 5:14AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 4 Jun 2006 11:53AM GMT
I am looking for the same Joseph Louis Butcher and his wife Eliza Saunders. I do not have as much information as you have but I do have a copy of his death certificate which gave much of the information as in your message.

Are you able to help me in finding out more. If yes, would like to hear from you.

Leanne Bergin (View posts)
Posted: 2 Nov 2001 9:56AM GMT
Hello Leanne, Thank you for your reply. Yes I will help if I can, maybe you could let me know what you are needing.
Regards from
Marydell.

Posted: 2 Nov 2001 7:45PM GMT
Edited: 4 Jun 2006 11:53AM GMT
Marydell, hello and thank you for your quick response. I have lots of questions about Joseph Louis Butcher.

Here are some of them:
Where, when and how did Joseph arrive in NZ?
Why do you think he was a mariner?
What makes you suspect his surname may originally have been Boucher?
Do you have any info. about Eliza Saunders? I would like to know when and where she was born and parents details.
Do you have names and details of all of Joseph and Eliza's children? I only know of Eliza Jane, Alice Ada and Emily Ann.
Of these I only have details about Emily Ann as she was my Gt Gt Grandmother.
What is your connection?
Is there anything that I may be able to help you with?

Sorry to ask for so much. Thanks, Leanne.

Posted: 3 Nov 2001 8:34AM GMT
Edited: 13 Nov 2001 8:15AM GMT
Leanne, could you please send an email direct to our address for information you need.
Regards Marydell.

Posted: 20 Sep 2009 2:09PM GMT
Surnames: Butcher, Saunders, Davies
Hello

I am Joseph Louis Butcher's great-great granddaughter. His daughter Lucy is my great-grandmother. I came across this post and was interested that I have almost the exact same questions about him. We have heard he arrived in New Zealand as crew on an assisted passenger ship, but have no information to back it up. I am particularly interested in his parents, as we have no information further back. I do have information about Eliza Saunders parents if it is of use. If anyone has the anwers to the questions, I would love to hear from you!
Regards
Angela

Posted: 24 May 2012 5:27AM GMT
I am another descendant through Ada Alice and would like to correspond with anyone else interested in Joseph L Butcher/Boucher. I live in NZ. Thank You

Les Connor

Posted: 29 May 2012 2:35PM GMT
Hi Les

I am a descendant through Joseph's daughter Lucy Butcher. Don't have a lot of info about Joseph,, but willing to share what I have (including a picture kindly shared by another on this site).

Can you email me direct or do I need to provide an address?

Regards
Angela

Posted: 30 May 2012 5:10AM GMT
Hi I am a g/grandson of Joseph butcher.I was brought up by his son patrick james.who is my grandfather.iff i can help in any way feel free to contact me.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions