Search for content in message boards

Non-citizens and SS

Non-citizens and SS

Posted: 30 Aug 2012 2:46AM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm researching an elusive ancestor who to my knowledge never became a US citizen. Would he have been required to obtain a Social Security number/card in the 1920s-1940s in order to work in the US?

Your input much appreciated!

Re: Non-citizens and SS

Posted: 2 Sep 2012 9:23PM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 4 Sep 2012 9:06PM GMT

Posted: 4 Sep 2012 6:30AM GMT
Actually, Social Security numbers were first issued in 1936 (after the Social Security Act was signed by FDR in 1935). I have several SS applications in my source documentation files from that timeframe.

This particular ancestor has been so elusive that finding an application for him might be really helpful. However, the last time I requested an application search the cost had gone up quite a bit. (I have no idea how much they run now.) So I'm reluctant to request it unless I have good reason to believe one exists.

Anyways... still curious if SSNs were required for non-citizens. Anyone???

Posted: 24 Mar 2013 1:21PM GMT
My database has many immigrants from the 1895-1940 timeframe. I filtered the 1511 individuals with SSNs to exclude the U.S.-born and the known naturalized. This left 78 who were not naturalized by 1940. Admittedly, some already had their 1st papers, and could have naturalized before their deaths. And I lack most SSN application dates.
Since the purpose of the having a SSN was to track employment and retirement benefits, early application was likely more linked to type of work (big industry) than naturalization status.

Posted: 25 Mar 2013 3:39AM GMT
Surnames: Navarro
Thanks. That's very helpful. I think I have his occupation info on his marriage record, so I'll see who his employer was and whether this angle is worth pursuing.

He's a bit of a brick wall, so anything that might give me a hint would be great.

Thanks again!

Cindy

Posted: 25 Mar 2013 4:51AM GMT
Note that with new Social Security Administration guidelines, they redact the parents' names from a number holder's SS-5 unless 1) your relative's DOB exceeds 100 years and you provide proof of death, or 2) your relative's DOB exceeds 120 years and you do not provide proof of death.

Posted: 25 Mar 2013 5:21AM GMT
Oh goodness. I had no idea. Well, then this is another dead end.

But thank you SO MUCH for this little postscipt. It's been quite some time since I requested anything from SS, so it's very good to know about this change.

Have a great week!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions