Search for content in message boards

Transcription of Jan Coufal Record, Radkovice, 1865

Transcription of Jan Coufal Record, Radkovice, 1865

Posted: 8 Sep 2012 3:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
The birth record for Johann, son of Wenzl Zaufal, house 8, has something written in pencil below it. I cannot read it.

http://actapublica.eu/matriky/brno/prohlizec/6696/?strana=52

This child's record is a puzzle, because he is not on the ship's list when his parents immigrated in 1872. He would have been only about 7 years old, so it's not likely that he stayed behind to inherit the family property.

The family had a very bad year in 1866, with 3 deaths. Lower right.

http://actapublica.eu/matriky/brno/prohlizec/6696/?strana=77

Johann is not listed in this book.

My request is for a transcription / translation of the pencilled in notation on the birth record.

Thanks.

Re: Transcription of Jan Coufal Record, Radkovice, 1865

Posted: 9 Sep 2012 12:08AM GMT
Pretty good, I'd wager that there is written: ausgewandert nach Amerika = emigrated to America...

Posted: 9 Sep 2012 4:03AM GMT
Thank you! Yes, when you tell me what it is, then I can trace it in my mind. But I was very surprised, because as I said, he is not on the ship's record. I checked for a page that lists deaths on board, and there wasn't any, at least in the digital images for this ship. It is possible this child died on the journey from Moravia to Breman, and the record is in some unknown site. Another mystery. My heart goes out to this mother, as she lost several children. Her husband died tragically in the US just a few years after they came here, and she then managed the farm.

Again, thanks.

Posted: 9 Sep 2012 1:56PM GMT
On the same page (scan 52) top right is also a pencil note: = nach Amerika = to America. I also went through the records of the register of deaths. He is not there, you are right. It's highly probable, that the child died somewhere during the trip to America.

Jakob Jelinek

Posted: 9 Sep 2012 2:51PM GMT
Jakob Jelinek, right? Jelinek is another well-known name here is Nebraska. It's always fun to see the "Amerika" notations in the records. That way, one is pretty sure that is the ancestor. My curiosity got the best of me, and I looked for a bit to see if they came in 1872 with the Coufals. A group did, but this child was not with them. The father was Jakob, but the mother was Josefa, not Frantiska as in this birth/baptismal record. So it had to be a different family.

It would be so easy to get distracted and follow the Jelinek path.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic