Search for content in message boards

Australian Waddells

Posted: 26 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Sep 2004 9:31AM GMT
Surnames: Waddell, Christie, McCuddy, Graham
Hi,

I'm trying to track down any info on my ancestors. The details I have at the moment are :
James Waddell born Newcastle upon Tyne in 1824 (parents James & Mary). James married Matilda Jane Christie on 18/5/1849 in St. Andrews Presbyterian Church, toronto. They had four children all born in Niagra Falls (Chalmers, Eliza Jane, James Christie, John). In 1866 they all moved to Petrolia in Canada.
Chalmers came to Australia & had one son. Eliza Jane had 2 daughters (Mrs Mary Graham of Denver and Mrs Charles A McCuddy of Chicago), James never married and John is a mystery. Matilda died in 1916. The original James was a widower when he married Matilda Jane but we know nothing of his first wife. Chalmers is my great-great grandfather. Any info would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Angus

Re: Australian Waddells

Posted: 5 Apr 2013 6:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 5 Apr 2013 6:23PM GMT
Surnames: Waddell Waddle
John Waddell, son of James and Matilda Christie died in Forth Worth, Texas in 1933. Maybe he became a cowboy?
He was single and was buried in Greenwood cemetery.

In the 1842 census of Toronto, there is a James Waddell in St Patrick's Ward on Lot Street (now Queen St. West of Yonge)
He is an Innkeeper; 3 inmates are born in England and 4 inmates of the house are born in Ireland, and the householder has been in Canada for 10 years. 1 male single age 18 to 21; 3 males sinlge age 21 to 30; 1 male married aged 30 to 60; 1 female single aged bet 14 and 45; 1 female married aged over 45. For a total of 7 persons.
3 members of the household are Church of England, and 4 are members of Church of Scotland. It appears that 3 of the members of the households are male servants (hard to read)
1842 census is on familysearch.org

The best bet to find information about his first wife is to look in the Presbyterian records for Toronto. Many of them have been transcribed by Ontario Genealogical Society Toronto Branch. There is no record of a female Wadell buried in the non-denominational cemetery, but there was a Presbyterian cemetery in Toronto still active in 1840s and unfortunately the records of those burials are missing.

I am researching the family of Carter Waddell, who died in 1853 in Toronto, and I came across your James while eliminating other Waddell.
If I find information on James first marriage etc, I will post it. Possibly, it was announced in papers.

In the 1842-43 directory of Toronto available on OGS Toronto website

There is a James Waddle, Innkeeper on Lot Street and his Inn is called the Soldier's Inn.
You might want to check the other directory to find out when he left. Innkeepers often moved around quite a bit.
It does not look like James Waddle was still in Toronto in the3 1846-7 directory.

Good luck
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions