Search for content in message boards

Helen McDonell UEL?

Helen McDonell UEL?

Posted: 21 Jan 2010 9:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McDonell Kennedy Chisholm
I'm trying to track down Helen McDonell's parents & what year they came to Canada. Here's what I've got so far.

She was born around 1790 in Canada. Helen McDonell married Hugh/Evan Kennedy on Jan 13 1810 at St-Raphaels. Entry states that Helen's parents were Alexander McDonell and Janet Chisholm. The 1839 census shows Helen & Hugh living in Charlottenburgh 27/9 with their children. "The Loyalists in Ontario" by William Reid has an entry for Alexander (Ben Beg) Mcdonell of Charlottenburg 23/9 and a daughter Eleanor, m Ewan Kennedy of Charlottenburg.
Is is likely that this is the same family?
Any help in tracking down Helen's parents would be most appreciated.

Re: Helen McDonell UEL?

Posted: 23 Jan 2010 4:00AM GMT
I don't have specific info on your Helen but can note that Eleanor = Helen
Ewan (Ewen) =Hugh= Evan
This may help in the name differences.

Anne Heath Neuman UE

Posted: 29 Jan 2010 12:10AM GMT
There is some general information in St. Raphael's records such as marriage of Helen and Evan, birth of Duncan, marriage of Donald and Duncan, death of Janet Chisholm wife of Alexander Ban & Janet's conversion to Catholic Church in 1805. Alexander MacDonell is shown as being the son of Allan.

I don't see any sign of MacDonell or Chisholm coming directly from Scotland but both names are shown on Sir John Johnston's rent rolls in NY in 1780 & 1788 so they may have been UEL but are not on my lists of settlers given lots.

Tal

Posted: 29 Jan 2010 2:08PM GMT
Thanks for the reply Tal.

I've got the marriage info on Helen & Evan and the death certificate for Janet Chisholm.

The birth of Duncan and marriage of Donald & Duncan is new info for me. Do you have any specifics so I can see if I can track down the entries?

I suspect that Alexander McDonell & Janet Chisholm may have come on the Pearl but I'm having trouble finding the ship list. I read somewhere that there is a list but I'm not sure where I can find it. Any suggestions?

I'm really excited about both names showing up on Sir John Johnson's rent rolls because I suspected that they had indeed settled in the Kingsborough patent. Would you mind sharing those documents from 1780 & 1788?

Thanks again for your input.
Lara

Posted: 29 Jan 2010 7:54PM GMT
http://www.uelac.org/Loyalist-Info/loyalist_list.php?letter=...

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wjmartin/k...

Duncan MacDonell born 17 June 1808 Charlottenburgh 9th son of Alexander and Janet Chisholm. Sponsors Donald and Catherine MacDonell

Donald MacDonell married to Anne Kennedy 23 Jan 1810 St. Raphael's

Duncan MacDonell married to Sarah MacDonell 21 Jan 1840 he the son of the late Alexander MacDonell and of Janet Chisholm. St. Raphael's.

Tal

Posted: 14 Dec 2010 6:34PM GMT
Hi Guys. J. Young here.I believe that the Alexander[Ben Beg]McDonell that you mention is actually Alexander [Bane Beg]McDonell; this is part of the Ardnabie line of McDonell.I have been researching this line for some time, but for brevity will sight only one source here.F.R.MacDonald's book "LEGACY of TRADITION" 1572-2004 [a copy of which can be found at CORNWALL Public Library]. On page 176 ... Captain John MacDonell 6th Ardnabie 1702-1785. His son Allan "Buidhe" MacDonell U.E.L. 1730-1806 , settled after the Rev. War with his son Alexander "Bane" MacDonell Ardnabie on LOT 23 Con.9 Charlottenburg.This Alexander "Bane" MacDonell b.1752,was married to Janet Chisholm b.1760.Their sons are Alexander'Bane Beg' MacDonell;Donald MacDonell; Angus Bane MacDonell;Duncan MacDonell;Ranald MacDonell ... no daughters are mentioned in this article ! This line apparently held LOT 23 Con 9 Charlottenburg into the 1850's. NOTE--F.R.MacDonald almost always spells this line MacDonell---but most other records show McDonell.

Posted: 15 Dec 2010 2:55PM GMT
Helen was the dau of Alexander Bane Macdonell & Janet Chisholm (Janet d 4 jul 1850. Alex was son of Allan Buidhe. Alex came to America with his family on the Pearl. 2 sons had Bane Beg as 'middle names'. Lot & conc below is correct.This is the Ardnabie line. Source 'Legacy of Tradition by F. R. McDonald. Line is on the Glengarry County Genweb (Glengarry families page).. Yes the family were UEL.

Regards,

Evelyn Goulet,
Host, Glengarry County Genweb
Castle Tioram Finlaggan Councillor
Clan Donald International

Posted: 15 Dec 2010 2:57PM GMT
Read this after I posted so I was somewhat redundant.

Regards,

Evelyn Goulet
Host, Glengarry County Genweb
Castle Tioram Finlaggan Councillor
Clan Donald International

Posted: 23 Feb 2013 5:43PM GMT
My 3g grandfather was Donald (Bane) McDonell. Here is a transcription of an affidavit we believe to be in support of his petition to have his name inserted "on the U.E. List of this Procince." The affidavit was executed in York on 12 Dec 1819, and mentions his brother Alexander Bane Beg McDonell:

I certify that Donald McDonell, commonly called Donald Bane, was settled in the Province of New York in the year 1773 - that he joined the Royal Standard in the year 1777 at St. John's, in the then Province of Quebec, with his brother Alexander McDonell, also commonly called Alex Bane Beg, for whom I certified last year that he had likewise joined the Royal Standard at the period above mentioned.

York 12th December, 1819 Alex. McDonell
J. P., Home District

Donald's obituary:

The Kingston Chronicle & Gazette Sept 21, 1839 page 2

- On 18th Sept 1839, at Wolfe Island, opposite to Kingston, Mr Donald (Ban,) McDonald, a native of Glengary, Scotland, aged 97 years. He came to America with the McDonells, in 1772, and in 1775 he joined the British Standard, under Sir John Johnson in whose Regiment he served for 7 years. He lived and died a loyal subject, left a large family to lament his death, viz a wife, six sons and two daughters, with their numerous offspring.

Brian
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions