Search for content in message boards

Lahy

Posted: 2 Feb 2013 1:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lahy
My 2nd great grandfather was Nicholas Lahy. He fought for Illinois in the Civil War. His Civil War discharge papers of 1865 list his birthplace as Clonlohan. I calculate his birth year as 1829 or 1830. I have no idea how to proceed in finding his birth information. If you could provide direction I would greatly appreciate it!
Posted: 13 Feb 2013 6:49AM GMT
Found a number of Lahy's in Cavan but not the place name
Clonlohan? My Atlas doesn't have Clonlohan so it maybe very small.

There is an Irish History Foundation that Cavan belongs too however, they haven't their bmd's on line. There is an 1821
Census but it depends on the parish whether or not the
records have survived.

I googled Clonlohan and found only 1 reference and that it is located in Shannon, Co. Clare

Co. Clare doesn't have its bmd's on line but there is a new book available on how and where to look for Clare records.
I posted the name of the book and where to get it, you maybe able to order into a local library as well. I can look it up again if you can't locate it on the Clare board.

Co. Clare does have Lahy's but no Nicholas
www.askaboutireland.ie (spelling specific)it can be spelt
a couple of different ways Leahy and Lahy.

1820-1839 Tithe Applotments:

www.genealogy.nationalarchives.ie

Annette Code
Posted: 18 Feb 2013 12:04AM GMT
Surnames: Lahy
Hello there. Thank you so very much for taking the time to answer my question. I really appreciate your insight and will try some of the sources you mention. I hope I will find information for my family as well as for other researchers who might benefit from my findings.

Thanks again!
Posted: 18 Feb 2013 2:32AM GMT
Co. Clare does not belong to the data base with bmd's. However, I noted in the list of messages someone had a list of a Parish baptisms. You can look on rootsweb - under county Clare - not the message board and see what they might have.

Also on the message board is a donor jeanrice who has
ejectment letters for Co. Clare - might be worth click on that message to see what is there.

Parish Kilmihil has records on line www.kilmihil.com

Good luck.
Posted: 14 Nov 2013 6:06PM GMT
Clonloaghan is in County Cavan - just North West of Lough Sheelin. There are plenty of Lahys from that area - all my descendants. Contact me and I'll see if I can link us up to Nicolas as my relatives also lived in Clonloaghan David Leahy - leahydavid@gmail.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic