Search for content in message boards

Nursing Sister Concentration Camp

Nursing Sister Concentration Camp

Posted: 9 Jun 2008 11:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: CHANDLER RANDLE
I am trying to find details on my ancestor, EMMA MARIA (MARIE) CHANDLER. She was born 1868 at Alford, Lincolnshire U.K.
She left England early in 1900 to become a Nursing Sister in a Refugee Concentration Camp near Kimberley. Whilst there, she met and married GEORGE RANDLE. Family legend has him as a British Army Captain.
She had a baby who died, Emma herself died of enteric fever 16th or 17th Feb 1905 at Jagersfontein.

Emma’s obituary in the Lincoln, Rutland & Stamford Mercury dated Friday 17th March 1905 – Randle: at Jagersfontein, South Africa, Feb 17th of Malarial Fever, Emma Maria (Marie) the beloved wife of George Randle and daughter of the late J. S. Chandler, of Alford.

I know absolutely nothing about George Randle, apart that he never met Emma’s family in England. I would love to know about her marriage and her death/burial. I don’t even know which nursing organisation she belonged to.

All I have been able to find are the following 3 references in the VAB Database of the National Archives of South Africa.
With out looking at them, I do not know if they refer to Emma Maria Chandler.
Is it possible to send for copies of these records, or do they have to be viewed on site?
I would be extremely grateful for any advice.

Source SRC Vol45 Ref A1971 Detail, Application for leave Sister Chandler. Begins/ends1902.

Source SRC Vol47 Ref A2289 Detail, Re passage of Nurse Chandler to England. Begins/ends1902.

Source SRC Vol47 Ref A2331 Detail Sister Chandler to stay on in South Africa, requests equivalent in money instead of passage to England. Begins/ends1903.

Re: Nursing Sister Concentration Camp

Posted: 10 Jun 2008 8:56PM GMT
Very few records associated with Army Nurses [or civilian] who left England and served in the Boer War. Some were members of the Army Nursing Service, the Army Nursing Service Reserve, others were volunteers who went to South Africa to be employed locally. Almost three quarters of army nurses came the Nursing Reserve. You may find this article of interest - http://www.angloboerwar.com/units%20imperial/ramc_1900_1901....

If she was Army [incl. reserve] she would have received the Queen’s South Africa Medal, the roll for nurses held at the National Archives in document series WO100/229,
For more information about nurses records [or the lack of them] see http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/rdleaflet.asp?s...

Rosemary Dixon-Smith produced an article for genealogy world [ www.genealogyworld.net/boer/tracing.html ]in which she states:

“Sheila Gray smgray@ihug.co.nz has compiled a database of nearly 2 000 military and civilian nurses, laywomen and civilian volunteers from throughout the British Empire who were rewarded for service during the Anglo-Boer War.” So it may be worth an email to her, at least you may be able to establish what kind of nurse she was.

As for any marriage, birth [of children] and death certificates go, I couldn’t find anything that fitted in the Overseas Indices for British Army returns [available on findmypast.com] so I expect and BMD events are only recorded in South Africa. This site may help http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/golden/A%20Guide%20to%20res...

Good luck

Posted: 10 Jun 2008 9:26PM GMT
Many thanks for taking the time to reply, and for the interesting information. I will post again as I (hopefully) make progress.
Thank you.

Posted: 6 Jun 2013 3:58PM GMT
Surnames: Chandler Randle
You may be interested to know that there is a photograph of Marie Chandler at Kimberley camp in 1902 in the Album of photographs taken by Gertrude Emily Custance, London Metropolitan Archives, H09/GY/PH/08/058 (photo number 32). It is annotated 'Sister Chandler (RIP 1905)'.

The British Concentration Camps of the South African War database http://www2.lib.uct.ac.za/mss/bccd/index.php is worth a look.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions