Search for content in message boards

Bushmills

Bushmills

Don Scott (View posts)
Posted: 16 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Callaghan
Recently found pictures which belonged to my mother. One is of a Pub with the notation "Public House Bushmills 1880-85". The pictures show some people standing at the storefront, which is called Callaghan's.

Curious if the Pub still exists (which I seriously doubt), or if anyone has any information regarding the family. My mother's family was originally from Ireland and emegrated to Scotland. Family names are Callaghan and Given, supposedly from either Bushmills or Cavan area. Any info greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Don Scott
Jacksonville, FL

Callaghans pub

Linde Lunney (View posts)
Posted: 20 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
I was very interested to read your posting; my brother now owns the pub in Bushmills that your ancestor owned, and I know he'd be interested in hearing from you. If you reply to me, I'll forward your letter to him. He bought the pub from Charlie Callaghan, who died shortly afterwards; about 3 years ago, I think

Re: Callaghans pub

Gordon Steel (View posts)
Posted: 24 May 2002 11:02PM GMT
I just ran across you message about Callaghans pub. Is this just down a little way down from the hair solon at Bridge St in Bushmills? If so e-mail me I would be intrested in writing! Gordon

Re: Bushmills

Posted: 7 Sep 2003 12:34PM GMT
Don,
I may have the peice to your puzzle. I have two letters, 1879 and 87 from Sam Callaghan in Lemneagh, Antrim Ireland to his sister my Aunt in Redfield, Oswego County, New York.
He mentions owning a public house, and also a son John who had two public houses in Ballintoy(?)
Bushmills is mentioned as a place that others lived in, I am unclear where Sam's public house was, but it may be Bushmills itself.
What is your Callaghan ancestory?

Posted: 5 Jul 2009 1:09PM GMT
just came across your query, we are O'Callaghans from Bailieborough/Shercock, Co. Cavan can give you a link to our tree if it helps you, I think it will be hard to make a match

Posted: 20 Apr 2012 9:13AM GMT
Hi Don;
I see you have not had any replies on this for a while. I was just searching around as I may be relocating to Bushmills having just retired. My family on my fathers side are from Bushmills and Charlie Callaghan was a second cousin I believe. I knew him very well as we were taken to Bushmills every summer as a child by my father who used to drink in Bush House which was Charlie Callaghans bar.I continued to go on holiday there as an adult and would see Charlie quite regularly. As you are aware he died on 3rd Jan 1997. My father passed on, on the 30th June the same year.I still regularly visit with my family and Charlie is still well remembered by all the locals. It is a way over there that people do still remember others and can recount the stories of those now gone. Something lacking in the fast paced living of England where I was brought up and still live. Anyway I won't go on too much but if you have any questions about the area or Callaghan Family I will do my best to respond.
Kind Regards
Frank Callaghan

Posted: 20 Apr 2012 9:39PM GMT
Surnames: Callaghan
Hello,

My name is Hugh Reynolds and I live in London. I've just been talking to my father in Scotland and am about to update a family tree document I produced about in August 1997 which has a lot of info my father provided which he in turn had got from my grandmother Tillie Reynolds (nee Callaghan) A section begins...on Charlie Callaghan, My great grandfather...
Charlie Callaghan c.1870 - 1936

"Born at Bushmills, Co. Antrim, Ireland. He was educated in the town and became a schoolteacher there aged about 18. His family owned the local Public House (Pub) known as Callaghan’s Inn which can be seen still operating under this name to the present day in the Main St of Bushmills ( now the Bush Hotel). On the death of his father (name unknown), the Inn passed as a business to all the family. Charlie sold his share and emigrated to America, the passage being a long sea voyage in poor conditions from the port of Derry in Ireland to Boston. He took up residence in Philadelphia."

I'd be delighted in this is of help or if you have more info which i might find useful. The Charlie Callaghan above returned married to Annie Young of Gorran from Boston and landed in Scotland in Lanarkshire and as i say I'm a great grandson. He died 30 years before i was born but my grandmother Tillie his daughter died when i was three and i still remember her.

Posted: 28 Jul 2012 2:39PM GMT
Hello Don ,
My Aunt And Uncle owned a Pub in Bushmills for many years. It isnt open amy more but the building still stands It was called the Oak House. My fathers family were Givins sometimes spelled Given from near Bushmills. I would love to see the picture that you have.
Sherry

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 10:47PM GMT
Hi Lynn,
Just saw your post for the first tie today. The Pub that was the Oak house was owned by ny aunt Margaret and Freddie Platt. I stayed there asa little girl. Are you the same Lynn Luney that was at the convention with me at Ballymoney in September ?
sherry

Posted: 7 Feb 2013 4:28PM GMT
Yes, we met in Ballymoney
per page

Find a board about a specific topic