Search for content in message boards

Kempsters in Burford, Oxfordshire, Engalnd

Kempsters in Burford, Oxfordshire, Engalnd

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 1:41AM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm looking for information and records Kempsters in Burford, England.
Trees on Ancestory show that I am descended from Christopher Kempster (1627-1715, an English master stonemason and architect who trained with Sir Christopher Wren, working on St Paul's Cathedral.

Jumping a generation or two forward is Thomas Kempster who was born in Burford, England probably around 1775. Need his birth and baptism record. He died 15Jun1804 in Worcester (have record).

He married Maris Smith on 17 Sep 1789 in Burford, England. I found the marriage record.

They had 9 children; the first 5 being born in Burford, Oxfordshire, England. I am looking for proof of the birthdates for all of these except Maria Jordan as I have located her birth and baptism record.

Maria Jordan Kempster b.31Jul1790; baptised 20Oct1790
Thomas Kempster b. 12Jun1792
Elizabeth Kempster b. 17Feb1794
Jordan Kempster b. 26Jul1795
John Kempster b. 27Jan1979

The next five children were all born in Worcester and I've located their information.

Maria Smith was born in 1766 in Burford, but I need her birth record.

According to the trees on Ancestory, stepping back a generation is boyoneofchristopherKempster b 25Mar1627; d. 12Aug1715 both in Burford.

Parents: John Kempster b. 1568; d. 21Oct1604 Burford
Edith b. 1566 and d. 1629

I'm looking for records to support this information as well.

If I'm lucky I'll find someone else researching this family.

Any information will be appreciated.

Jessica in Texas

Re: Kempsters in Burford, Oxfordshire, Engalnd

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 3:43PM GMT
As far as birth dates go, most parish records of the 18thC won't give that information - they only record the date of baptism. Sometimes, if you consult the original registers, a helpful vicar may have added the birth date scribbled into the margin but this gets rarer the further back you go. You may find birth dates mentioned in other documents (wills, burial registers, poor law documents, marriage licences etc.) but that can mean some digging about in the archive.

Parish records and other documents relating to Burford are available at Oxfordshire Records Office, they are also quite well covered on FamilySearch (it has Maria Smith being christened on 29 Dec 1766 at Burford.) The Oxfordshire records office also has a number of other documents relating to Christopher Kempster in its catalogue.

Antony

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 8:54PM GMT
I was wondering why on some of the records in Family Search only the baptismal year was provided. That explains it. Looks like I need to go to the Oxfordshire records office. I'm guessing they will have a website.

Thanks again Anthony.

Jessica from Texas

Posted: 14 Feb 2013 1:25PM GMT
Christopher Kempster, Christened in Burford 25-3-1627 to a Christopher. (not sure on mother at this stage)

Thomas Kempster christened 9-7 1766 to a John

Posted: 15 Feb 2013 10:43AM GMT
Jessica -

The parish registers of Burford, housed in Oxfordshire History Centre, have been transcribed by Oxfordshire Family History Society. www.ofhs.org.uk The transcripts are on CD WIT04 - see CDs on the left hand side of the website. For those who don't want to buy a full transcription, we offer selected extracts also - see Surname Search Services, again on the left hand menu.

There is a website for Oxfordshire Surname Interests - OXSIL - www.oxsil.org.uk . Do look for matching interests and add your own!

Wendy
Chairman, Oxfordshire FHS

Posted: 15 Feb 2013 8:40PM GMT
Thanks Peter, This is helpful. My Thomas Kempster's wife was christened in 1766 in Burford. It is possible that this record of Thomas is the one I'm looking for.

The information on Christopher 1627 is in agreement with information I see showing his father as Christopher; mother Joan. Christopher 1627 had a brother John Christened 1619.
Doing the math, it is not possible that this John is the same John you mention.

All of the Kempsters that lived in Burford are probably related somehow. I was thinking that Kempster was a very common name in England, like Smith or Jones, but turns out that is not the case. I'm glad because researching Smiths and Jones is very difficult.

Posted: 15 Feb 2013 8:52PM GMT
Wendy,

After reading on the OFHS website, it seems as if purchasing the CD is probably the best route especially since I know the Kempsters lived there. My understanding is that the CD will have all of the Burford
transcripts for baptisms, marriages and burials. I'm assuming this is more than an Index of names. Is this correct.

I looked at the Burford Parish Register Coverage Map and it shows that the baptism search service is not yet available. It shows the Marriage Search Service has 2378 entries and the Burial Search Service has 9083 entries. How does this differ from the Burford register transcripts available on the CD? Does it mean that there won't be any baptism transcripts and only a limited number of marriages and burials?

Jessica

Posted: 15 Feb 2013 10:13PM GMT
Jessica -

The CD has everything on the registers - occupations, parents, witnesses, addresses, if at the time period when those were recorded.

The transcripts were done pre-computers, and we are using volunteers to re-key these into our county-wide indexes. The re-keying of Burford is not quite completed. But you know your events are Burford, so that's irrelevant.

What I was suggesting you might use was the lookup service section of the search services - such that you have an extract of the transcript for each event that interests you - but possibly looking at the parish as a whole would be simplest!!

Wendy

If you'd like me to give you a ring, email me on chairman@ofhs.org.uk

Wendy

Posted: 17 Feb 2013 2:31PM GMT
Hi Peter,

Where did not obtain this information as I did not see it on the Family Search site.

Jessica

Posted: 18 Feb 2013 11:44AM GMT
Hi Jessica i have the Burford Parish Registers.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions