Search for content in message boards

John McDonell Lancaster 6 lot 33

John McDonell Lancaster 6 lot 33

Posted: 10 Mar 2010 7:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McDonell, McDonald, Fraser
This John McDonald is my gggg grandfather. I suspect that he is from the Ardnabie line but I'm wondering if anyone has any further information to confirm the line and when he emigrated.

Lancaster 6 Lot 33 (land records have them there as early as 1787):
John McDonell (1764 - 1843)
wife - Janet McDonell (1764 - 1864)

Nov 17 1843 death: John McDonell, age 74, son of Ranald McDonell & Janet Fraser. (St-Raphs)

July 9 1864 death: Janet McDonell, age 101, in Lanc 6/33, widow of John McDonell son of Ranald of Ranald of Alex OG of Angus of John of Donald "A Lagain". (Fr John's Diary)

The chart on page 247 of Fr John's Diary shows this line with another Ranald "Ardnabi" also connecting into it. Up until the Ranalds it coincides with the published info on the Ardnabie's I've been able to find.

There are a number of John's (Lanc 6/33) descendants' obits which confirm the Ranald of Ranald entry.

I can't seem to find any other documentation that confirms that Alex OG had a son named Ranald. Duncan Darby's research doesn't follow this part of the line.

I would also like to try to confirm if John & Janet came over in 1785 or 1786 or if they were UELs. Although I have compiled a list of their children, I have no idea who his siblings were and whether they and/or their father Ranald emigrated with them.

Any help would be most appreciated.
Thanks,
Lara

Re: John McDonell Lancaster 6 lot 33

Posted: 18 Mar 2010 8:33PM GMT
I would think your John MacDonell and Janet MacDonald came in 1786 on the Ship MacDonald from Knoydart. The UEL were given lots along the river and later the ones from Knoydart were settled mostly in Lancaster and some in Charlottenburgh.

Almost all lots given in the 6th of Lancaster went to Knoydart people. For some reason Lot 32 and Lot 33 are missing from the list. Lot 34 had a Ranald MacDonald & Lot 35 John MacDonald.

Tal

Posted: 19 Mar 2010 1:27PM GMT
Thanks for the reply. I kinda figured that they were likely in either the group that left Scotland in 1785 coming up thru NY or on the ship McDonald in 1786.

Do you know if there is any other research out there on the Ardnabie's that came to Glengarry other than Duncan Darby's " The Ardnabie Branch of Clan Donald"? Duncan follows the Ardnabie line from Alex OG to John to John DHU but what I'm researching is the line from Alex OG to Ranald to Ranald. I've looked everywhere and can't seem to find any sources of info other than obits from Father John's Diary.

Thanks,
Lara

Posted: 20 Mar 2010 2:00AM GMT
I have a listing of the ones who came out in 1785 via New York and Albany coming to Upper Canada by August 1886.
There are three John McDonalds listed.
(1) 1 man, 1 woman, 2 males under 10
(2) 1 man, 1 woman, 1 male under 10
(3) 1 man, 1 woman

Anne Heath Neuman

Posted: 26 Mar 2010 12:51PM GMT
Hi Lara. The best source of Ardnabie family history is the work of F. R. McDonald (Francis Ross). He wrote an early genealogy volume, and a few years ago completed a beautifully illustrated and documented massive volume. I don't know how locateable it is. I have a copy and will post the isbn info, full title, etc. when I have located the book in my library. There are some errors in Duncan's version even though he cites F. R. McDonald as the source.

PS There is an outline report of John Dhu Macdonell (Ardnabie) already posted on the Glengarry Genweb which might be of assistance.
Good luck,

Evelyn Goulet, Castle Tioram
Finlaggan Councillor
Clan Donald International
Host, Glengarry Genweb

Posted: 29 Mar 2010 11:51AM GMT
The Ardnabie family history isdepicted in a book called "Legacy of Tradition" by F. R. McDonald
ISBN 1-894033-27-2 abt 550 pages. He spent 50 years researching the Ardnabie family.

Best regards,

Evelyn Goulet, Castle Tioram
Finlaggan Councillor
Clan Donald Canada
Host, Glengarry Genweb

Posted: 26 Sep 2010 6:19PM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 2 Mar 2011 3:44PM GMT

Posted: 27 Sep 2010 12:21AM GMT
Sorry, the info is from his book given to me in 2006. I don't have any updated info. If you are near Cornwall, I could introduce you to someone in Long Sault that has a copy of the book. I have a copy, but as genealogy is my occupation right now, I would need to charge to research my copy. Have you searched libraries that might loan a copy to a library near you?

Regards,

Evelyn

Posted: 17 Jan 2013 1:31AM GMT
Check Duncan Darby's chart on Dougal the shoemaker. it has a line of John of Ranald of Ranald

Posted: 17 Jan 2013 1:34AM GMT
note to Evelyn Goulet; F.R. MacDonalds book doesn't include any of John of Ranald of ranald. A few lines are done from John Dhu, but not all complete. A good guideline if your from that line.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions