Search for content in message boards

JW McGinnis, mayor of Columbia, Caldwell Parish

JW McGinnis, mayor of Columbia, Caldwell Parish

Posted: 2 Dec 2004 5:20AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Jan 2005 5:59PM GMT
Surnames: McGinnis, Matthews, Dunagin
I am seeking information on James W McGinnis, who I believe was my great-great-great grandfather. He was born in 1836 in Clarksville TN, and later moved to Columbia, Caldwell Parish, where we became the Parish superintendent of Education and the mayor of Columbia. He married Nancy (Ruth) Dunagin, and his parents names were John S. and Martha (Matthews) McGinnis, and but that is about all I know. Any more details about this family or any ancestors before them would be very much appreciated!
thanks so much.

Re: JW McGinnis, mayor of Columbia, Caldwell Parish

Posted: 3 Dec 2004 2:25AM GMT
Edited: 23 Jan 2006 9:34PM GMT
There is a J.W.McGinnis buried in the Columbia(LA) Hill Cemetery. Inscription reads as follows: McGinnis,J.W.: March 10 1837-May 11, 1907. In Tennessee, CSA Veteran
There are nine other McGinnis graves in the same cemetery.
In the book entitled "Caldwell Parish in Slices: Beginning a Brief History of Caldwell Parish, LA 1838-1971" by H. Ted Woods reference is made to J.W.McGinnis on page 27. Quoting from the book " There is no complete record of the various school superintendents(Caldwell Parish), but mention can be made of N.M. Davis, J.W. McGinnis, C.P. Thornhill and A.B. Hundley. They were employed at a salary from 200 to 300 dollars annnually, to keep the records of the School Board, and were not employed to supervise instruction."

Posted: 3 Dec 2004 2:52AM GMT
Edited: 2 Jan 2005 5:59PM GMT
thanks so much! these are some great leads.

Posted: 3 Dec 2004 3:19AM GMT
Edited: 23 Jan 2006 9:34PM GMT
I found another bit of information for you in the same book I quoted from in my earlier response: Page 54
Quoting "---a 1880 copy of the Caldwell News listed the mayor as being J.W.McGinnis, a local undertaker, who was the father of Mrs. Edna Miller and the late Claude McGinnis and Mrs. Rosa Waggoner."
Also in the Columbia Hill Cemetery are the graves of Rosa McGinnis Waggoner: Aug. 3, 1876-May 6, 1961 and William H. Waggoner: June 4, 1872-February 21, 1939.
The cemetery listings are from the book entitled: "Caldwell Parish Gardens of Memories" by Mrs. Lynn Alford and Mrs. H.Ted Woods.

Posted: 29 Apr 2012 6:04PM GMT
Surnames: McGinnis
I believe I have some news for you. I have done extensive research on the McGinnis Family of Dyersburg TN. I am a great grandson of Walker McGinnis -- the son of John M. McGinnis (James was the brother of John M McGinnis and the son of John S and Martha McGinnis).
I have created a detailed biography of John M McGinnis (and family) at this web site:
http://www.vizualstorm.com/jc/web-content/index.html

Please see it and let me know what you think

James Carey
email: jamescareyLL@live.com

Posted: 29 Apr 2012 6:12PM GMT
I have information for you.

I am James Carey -- grandson of Walker McGinnis.
Walker McGinnis is the son of John M Mcginnis
John M McGinnis is the son of John S and Martha McGinnis
James McGinnis is the brother of John M McGinnis and son of John S and Martha McGinnis.

Anyway, please go to my web page for a detailed biography of John M McGinnis and family from Dyersburg, TN

web site:
http://www.vizualstorm.com/jc/web-content/index.html
Please let me know what you think of it and the information.

Thanks,

James Carey (email: jamescareyLL@live.com)

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions