Search for content in message boards

AncestryDNA - Scandinavian/British Isles

AncestryDNA - Scandinavian/British Isles

Posted: 22 Sep 2012 6:27AM GMT
Classification: Query
I've seen a number of people report Scandinavian results that surprised them. The common response seems to be that Vikings etc. had a significant genetic influence throughout Europe and the British Isles.

Has anyone else had British Isles results when they were expecting Scandinavian? In my case I have several ancestors from Norway and Sweden, and no Scandinavian results were reported. British Isles ancestry was reported at 37%, however. I have no known ancestors from the British Isles.

I thought this was curious, as I haven't heard nearly as much about significant British Isles influence in Scandinavia. Are they so similar that they are almost considered interchangeable? Is it likely that further fine-tuning will result in changing genetic ancestry locations over time? Just trying to get a better idea how to interpret this.

Regards,

Jamie

Re: AncestryDNA - Scandinavian/British Isles

Posted: 22 Sep 2012 10:07PM GMT
I expected Scandinavian and didn't get a single lutefisk-scented drop. I did get surprised with Finnish/Volga-Ural, though. (British Isles was expected, so I don't know if the whopping 75% I got is related to my Swedes.)

Ancestry does say somewhere in its FAQ that we can expect the BGA to change.

I've just tested with another company that lets you have your raw data, so I plan to send it to Dr. Doug McDonald for analysis. (He's an expert/guru on BGA and kindly does this for free.) His reports are more specific in terms of regions and percentages, but even his numbers/place change over time as more is learned.

I'll be curious to see if anyone replies with unexpected British/no Scandinavian, like you, though. Do you have any Finnish/Volga-Ural?

Posted: 23 Sep 2012 5:41AM GMT
Edited: 23 Sep 2012 5:46AM GMT
Indeed, Dr. McDonald is very generous with his analysis - in terms of time and cost. For my father, he found an ancestral make-up of "100% English, with the slightest bit of Continental input. Very typical."

I still am wondering: "very typical" of whom? My dad's documented ancestors had arrived in the present United-States South by 1725 ... at the latest. He is the "typical" American Southerner, evidently?

Another kind researcher found a trace of (potential) Gypsy input in the same data, so, there ya go :)

Posted: 23 Sep 2012 6:15AM GMT
Yes, I have 63% Finnish/Volga-Ural. This was what I expected to find though, as 12 of my 16 great-great grandparents were from western Finland. All of my known ancestors were from the Nordic countries of Finland (12/16), Norway (3/16), and Sweden (1/16).

Posted: 26 Sep 2012 2:20AM GMT
I was also expecting Scandinavian results! Not only that but my freakin' surname is Norwegian, plus I have a Swedish line, and yet I came up a whopping 89% British Isles, 10% Eastern European, and 1% Uncertain.

Also missing from my pie chart was any Central European. I'm at least a quarter German from my mom's side and I got zip.

Posted: 26 Sep 2012 3:04AM GMT
Exact opposite of my test.

I have traced many lines back to England but I had 0% British, 84% Scandinavian with the rest Eastern or Southern Europe. All my matches have high 35%+ British Isles, some 97% or more, with only partial Scandinavian results. I am getting many matches with Central Europe, which I do not have. In fact, more than half of my matches have no background in common.

I figured my high Scandinavian results were due to Vikings in the British Isles, but with matches like I am seeing, I do wonder.

Posted: 27 Sep 2012 2:56AM GMT
The matches and "genetic ethnicity" are completely separate, independent analyses. There will probably be some overlap with most matches, but there doesn't have to be any. And "Scandinavian" was a poorly chosen label. That component most likely represents populations long before there were any people known as Vikings.

Posted: 29 Sep 2012 11:48AM GMT
I did not get any Scandinavian results (I was thinking I would based on how many people did), but I did get 7% Finnish/Volga which I did not expect. I haven't gone back far enough in any line to see how this fits in.

Posted: 5 Oct 2012 5:01AM GMT
Count me as another person who got British Isles results when expecting Scandinavian. I was expecting 25% of each... instead got 60% British Isles, no Scandinavian. Weird, because I can trace my Swedish ancestors back to a small rural region. And I know my mother wasn't adopted -- she has the birth pictures to prove it!

Posted: 6 Oct 2012 5:45PM GMT
My four sets of Great Grandparents emmigrated to the U.S. from Sweden, Sweden, Norway and Germany. Of this, I am certain, and I trace my Swedish lines back several generations. I was expeting my results to be approximately 75% Scandinavian and 25% Central European.

My results: 48% British Isles, 32% Scandinavian, and the remainder Eastern European.

I am perplexed.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic