Search for content in message boards

Letitia Beamsley nee Kennard / Hennard b.~1821 uk & d.1853 NZ. Wife of J. Beamsley.

Letitia Beamsley nee Kennard / Hennard b.~1821 uk & d.1853 NZ. Wife of J. Beamsley.

Posted: 26 Feb 2013 2:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Mar 2013 9:10PM GMT
Surnames: Kennard / Kennerd, Beamsley, Cannon/Cannan
Hi,

I am looking for information about Letitia Beamsley nee Kennard who is my 3rd great grandmother. I am not certain of where she was born, however on the 1841 census she is recorded as "Letitia KENNERD" & is living with a Henry Daws, William Bates, William Merret, & John Merret. Now there is a lot of speculation/uncertainty about this woman's parents/maiden name - it includes Kennerd/Kennard/Hennerd,& Cannon.

Letitia m. James BEAMSLEY(of Stokenchurch, Oxfordshire. Son of William Beamsley, farmer, & Mary Beamsley nee Bates) at Stokenchurch. They married 20 Oct 1841 (shortly after the 1841 census).

James was the youngest of his siblings & probably did not inherit his father's farm - so he & Letitia immigrated to Nelson NZ via the Barque Mary (depart: 2 Nov 1848, arrived: 24 Feb 1849).

Letitia died in NZ Oct 1853 age ~32, of cancer. Her death certificate does not name her parents. The Informant: George Bonnington. She died in Waimea, Nelson, NZ & I think she has an unmarked grave.

If anyone can please help me with any information about Letitia - in particular her birth/marriage vitals & parents names, I would be extremely grateful. Please could you contact me?
Thank you.

Regards
Christine

UPDATE: I have since found out that her father's name is William Kennard, through the marriage record. I am still looking for further details on her father & mother.

Re: Letitia Beamsley nee Hennerd/Kennerd/ or Dawes b.~1821 (oxford?) & d. 1853 Nelson, NZ. Wife of James Beamsley

Posted: 2 Mar 2013 8:55AM GMT

Hi Christine ...

The 1841 census records Letitia HENNERD (surname a little difficult to read, but I think it definitely begins with an "H"!) working as a FS (female servant) in the household of Henry DAWS. I therefore think you can discount DAWS as a possible alternate surname. It also shows that she was born outside the county (ie. not in Oxfordshire).

Also of interest - in the same house there's a ten-year-old William BATES!

Penny

Re: Letitia Beamsley nee Hennerd/Kennerd/ or Dawes b.~1821 (oxford?) & d. 1853 Nelson, NZ. Wife of James Beamsley

Posted: 2 Mar 2013 12:11PM GMT
Edited: 2 Mar 2013 12:20PM GMT

Just a further thought ...

I see from your Ancestry Family Tree that James and Letitia had four children - William Henry (1842), Anne (1843), James (1845) and Francis ("Frank") (1849).

I presume that Francis was born in NZ, but both William Henry and Anne appear on the GRO indexes (curiously, no sign of James, though). Additionally, William Henry's birth was registered in the Wycombe RD which covers both Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire. As Stokenchurch is right on the county boundary with Buckinghamshire, I wonder if that's where Letitia comes from - and did she "go home to mum" for the birth of her first child? (Anne's birth was registered in Thame, which includes Stoke Talmage and South Weston.)

Have you purchased a birth certificate for either of these two individuals, as this may confirm the maiden name of Letitia?

Penny

Posted: 3 Mar 2013 6:48AM GMT
Hi Penny,

Thank you so very much for your relies to my 2 posts!! The details of these 2 marriages & the parents of both Mary Bates & Letitia has been eluding me for so long!

That is great to know about the census - I thought her occupation said "FL" & had no idea what it meant lol. That is great to have some things cleared up ie with the Dawes surname. Someone quite a few years back (can't remember their name) had paid a genealogist to research the Beamsely's & determined Letitia's surname was Dawes - from the census I think. From what I know now, I would say that was not accurate.

Yes I did order William Henry's Birth cert.& I'm pretty sure I remember seeing her name as Hennerd - I will have to track it down. I was uncertain as to whether her marriage to James was her first or 2nd - I will definitely have to purchase their marriage cert through OFHS!

Yes Frank was born in NZ, NZ BDM Ref №: 1849/2726. Name: Beamsley, first name: NR. Father: James Beamsley. Mather: Letitia. I think you could be spot on about her going "home to mum" for the birth of William! It has been difficult finding the children's birth records. I have b een searching on ancestry & on the familysearch.org website - but do not know how to search the OFHS? Then I can get a definite marriage date for Letitia also & order the 2 marriage certs for L. Hennerd & M. Bates.

..ok, I'm going to make some requests from OFHS & track down some birth certs. I have etc :-)

thanks again for your help, much appreciated!

Kind regards
Christine

Posted: 17 Mar 2013 3:13PM GMT
Update:

From the OFHS:

Details of marriage at Stokenchurch, from the register transcript:

20 October 1841
BY licence
BRAMSLEY James full age bach of Aston Rowant famer, s. of William BRAMSLEY, farmer
KENNARD Letitia full age spin. of Stokenchurch d. of William KENNARD, carrier
Witnesses: Henry TRANTER, Caroline TRANTER

..so now I just need to figure out where exactly she was born & who her mother is..

Re: Letitia Beamsley nee Kennard / Hennard b.~1821 uk & d.1853 NZ. Wife of J. Beamsley.

Posted: 20 Aug 2013 9:34AM GMT
Classification: Birth
I too am a decendant of Letitia Beamsley. Connected with Annie. Letitia had two children in New Zealand one in 1849 (Frank or Francis) and one in 1851 (Martha) married James Donaldson and had at least a dozen children. Both births have been recorded with NR in the name slot.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions