Search for content in message boards

Thomas Nelson

Thomas Nelson

Posted: 13 Oct 2002 5:35AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Nelson, Spurlock
I have been trying to ascertain the relationship between Thomas Nelson of King William County Va to Thomas Nelson, Jr., signer of the declaration. Thomas Nelson of King William County freed my ancestors the Spurlocks upon his death in 1803. In a subsequent document, his son Thomas Cary Nelson refers to his father as Captain Thomas Nelson. The transcription of that documents is attached. Who is Captain Thomas Nelson and what is his relationship to your collective clan?

Bill of Sale between Thomas Cary Nelson and William Spurlock.

Know all men by these presents that I Thomas Cary Nelson of King William County for and in consideration of William Spurlocks proportion of money due him for land sold by Colonel William Nelson Trustee under the will of captain Thomas Nelson and which I become the purchaser of have granted bargained and sold unto said William Spurlock his wife Polly and son Robert for the above consideration the title to his said wife Polly and son Robert will warrant and forever defend against the claim of every person or persons whomsoever. In witness whereof I hereunto write my name and affix my seal this thirty-first of December in the year of our Lord eighteen hundred and eleven.

Thomas Cary Nelson

Re: Thomas Nelson

Posted: 14 Oct 2002 5:24AM GMT
I think that I have the Thomas Nelson relationship resolved.

Here it is....Scotch Tom Nelson had a son named Thomas Nelson, this Thomas married to Sally Cary. Sally presumably died giving birth to Thomas Cary Nelson, as they were only married for one year. The Thomas Nelson I am interested in was born in 1750. He was a member of George Washington's staff.

The signer, Thomas Nelson, Jr., is the son of William Nelson aka President Nelson. This Thomas was born in 1738.

The actual citation for this information can be found on Ancestry.Com's Virginia's Prominent Families. For information relating to Thomas Nelson, b. 1750, it is easier to type in his wife's name.

Posted: 14 Nov 2002 4:29AM GMT
Edited: 29 Jul 2003 2:20AM GMT
Surnames: NELSON, THOMAS
I found this & more on ancestry.com;Hugh NELSON + SARAH 2 Thomas "Scotch Tom" NELSON b: 20 FEB 1677 d: 7 OCT 1745Thomas "Scotch Tom" NELSON Sex: M Birth: 20 FEB 1677 in Penwith, co Cumberland, England Death: 7 OCT 1745 in Yorktown, York Co., Va Burial: Yorktown, York Co., Va Note: A merchant-planter who was the American founder of one of the wealthiest of Virginia families.From Pages 156ff, Genealogy of the Page Family in Virginia:The following is an exact copy of the inscription found on the tombstone of Scotch Tom Nelson, at Yorktown, York Co., Va.: Hic jacet Spe certa resurgendi in Christo THOMAS NELSON, GenerosusFilius Hugonis et Sari' Nelson de Penrith in Comitatu Cumbri' Natus 20mo die Februarii Anno Domini 1677 Vit' bene gest' finem implevit 7mo die Octobris 1745. 'tatis su' 68. The translation of the above inscription is as follows: "Here lieth, in the certain hope of being raised up in Christ, Thomas Nelson, Gentleman. Son of Hugh and Sarah Nelson, of Penrith, in the County of Cumberland. Born on the 20th day of February, in the year of our Lord, 1677. He completed a wellspent life on the 7th day of October, 1745. Aged 68." + Margaret READE 3 (Pres) William NELSON b: 1711 d: 19 NOV 1772 + Elizabeth "Betty" BURWELL 4 (Gov) Thomas NELSON , Jr, the Signer b: 26 DEC 1738 d: 4 JAN 1789 + Lucy GRYMES 5 William NELSON b: 9 AUG 1763 + Sally Burwell PAGE b: 1771 5 Thomas NELSON b: 27 DEC 1764 + Frances PAGE b: 1777 6 Thomasia NELSON 5 Philip NELSON b: 4 MAR 1766 + Sarah N BURWELL 5 Francis NELSON b: 25 JUN 1767 + Lucy PAGE b: ABT. 1775 5 (Hon) Hugh NELSON b: 30 SEP 1768 + Eliza KINLOCH 5 Elizabeth NELSON b: 26 DEC 1770 + Mann PAGE b: 1766 5 Mary NELSON b: 19 DEC 1774 + Robert CARTER 6 Hill CARTER 5 Lucy NELSON b: 2 JAN 1777 + (Maj) Carter PAGE b: 1758 5 Robert NELSON b: 14 OCT 1778 d: 1819 + Judith Carter PAGE b: ABT. 1783 6 Lucy NELSON d: BEF. 1840 + Hugh N PENDLETON 5 Susanna NELSON b: 3 OCT 1780 + Francis PAGE b: ABT. 1781 5 Judith NELSON b: 8 MAY 1782 + (Capt) Thomas NELSON 4 (Dr) Nathaniel NELSON b: ABT. 1745 4 (Col) Hugh NELSON b: 1750 4 Robert NELSON b: ABT. 1752 4 (Judge) William NELSON , Jr b: ABT. 1754 4 Elizabeth NELSON 3 Mary NELSON b: ABT. 1713 + Edmund BERKELEY III b: ABT. 1704 d: 1767 3 Thomas NELSON b: ABT. 1716 d: 1782 + Lucy ARMISTEAD + Fanny HOUSTON 3 Sarah "Sally" NELSON b: ABT. 1722 + (Col) Robert BURWELL d: ABT. 1769 4 Nathaniel BURWELL + ? WORMELEY 4 Frances BURWELL + (Dr) Carter BERKELEY + (Gov) John PAGE b: 17 APR 1744 d: 11 OCT 1808 5 Francis PAGE b: ABT. 1781 + Susanna NELSON b: 3 OCT 1780 5 Mann PAGE b: 1766 + Elizabeth NELSON b: 26 DEC 1770 5 John PAGE b: 1768 5 Robert PAGE b: 1770 5 Sally Burwell PAGE b: 1771 + William NELSON b: 9 AUG 1763 5 John PAGE b: 1773 5 Alice Grymes PAGE b: ABT. 1775 + (Dr) Augustine SMITH b: ABT. 1771 d: 2 APR 1805 6 Robert Nelson SMITH 6 John Page SMITH 6 Augustine SMITH 6 Lucy Calthorpe SMITH + Ralph DIGGS 6 William SMITH 6 Frances Burwell SMITH + (Col) Dudley DIGGS 6 Elizabeth DIGGS + Hugh N PENDLETON 5 Frances PAGE b: 1777 + Thomas NELSON b: 27 DEC 1764 6 Thomasia NELSON 5 Judith Carter PAGE b: ABT. 1783 + Robert NELSON b: 14 OCT 1778 d: 1819 6 Lucy NELSON d: BEF. 1840 + Hugh N PENDLETONE-mail me & I'll send the rest. mce-mail@webtv.net

Jeanette Nelson (View posts)
Posted: 23 Feb 2003 7:50PM GMT
Surnames: NELSON
My husband is a direct descendant of Thomas Nelson
Hugh Nelson
Thomas migrated from Cumberland co. England year 1700 married Margaret Reid to York Co. VA
Abner 1793 Gracine Co. VA
Green b.1839
Alvin b.1847
John Green
Herschel Sr.
Herschel Jr.
Richard L. (My husband)

In the year 1700 Thomas Nelson s/o Hugh & Sarah Nelson of Cumberland Co., England emigrated to the U.S. to York Co. VA. Thomas married Margaret Reid in the year 1710 and they had a son named Thomas in 1713; Thomas was the father of Solomon born 1737 who established a home and lived in Albermarle Co. VA. Solomon is the father of Robert born 1759 who moved to Northwest N.C. abt. 1791; Solomon was the father of Abner born in 1795. Abner had three wives and in the year 1851 Abner & family moved to Knox Co., KY.
Green Nelson s/o Abner & Nancy Nelson born in 1839 married Lucindy Taylor had a son named Alvin born in 1862.
Alvin married Mandy M. Morgan of Whitley Co., KY in 1881 to this union were born: Hannah, Lije, Nannie, Jane, John G., Matison, & Melda. Alvin & family lived on a farm 3 miles west of Cumberland River; Alvin & first wife buried at in McCreary Co., KY. John G. Nelson f/o of Herschel S. Nelson Sr. f/o Herschel S. Nelson Jr. f/o Richard L. Nelson my dear husband. I would like to connect with Nelson researchers, cousins, etc..

Jeanette Nelson

Posted: 4 Aug 2003 4:25PM GMT
I too am interested in the Nelson's history. Do you have any manifests on any of the plantations he owned in VA; The Secretary Thomas Nelson lived on the King William Plantation. Also, do you have an inventory sheet/s for the Nelson's Estates? I am looking for Jane Spurlock who was according to a Will a dear long time family servant to the Nelsons. We don't know how she got on this plantation or which plantation she was on .. We don't know from where she came.
I believe this information can be found in those private documents,living will and or manefest or slave records or house inventory sheets that list all property he owned (and in that timeframe his slaves and servants would be listed there). I have a copy of the original hand written will dated 1804 and one 1814 in which Captain Thomas Nelson son of Secretary Thomas Neslon left Jane her and her children land. The Nelson that we think originated this Will is Capt. Thomas Nelson, whose father was Secretary Thomas Nelson., Now Sec. Thomas Nelson had a brother named William Nelson. Capt. Nelson insisted that his son Thomas Cary Nelson and uncle William Nelson carry out this Will. William Nelson his uncle is the father of 5th Govenor of Va. Thomas Nelson. Capt. Thomas Nelson was the cousin to the Gov. Thomas Nelson the 5th Signor of The Declaration of Independence.

Posted: 4 Aug 2003 4:32PM GMT
Also in the Will he names Jinny/Jane Spurlock as his Mullatoo women? Hince the connection?? Now the Spurlock name we know is well know in Barbados. We also know that the Nelson's lived and had plantations in Barbados. William Nelson the son of Hugh Nelson who came from England went to Barbados to live. He lived and died there. Funny this with this family they all named their sons the same name. So that's why all of the information in the previous mail to distinguish which Nelson was which.

I really appreciate you distinguishing the Nelson men.
Also the Spurlock name is of indian descent.

HELP!!

Posted: 4 Aug 2003 4:32PM GMT
Also in the Will he names Jinny/Jane Spurlock as his Mullatoo women? Hince the connection?? Now the Spurlock name we know is well know in Barbados. We also know that the Nelson's lived and had plantations in Barbados. William Nelson the son of Hugh Nelson who came from England went to Barbados to live. He lived and died there. Funny this with this family they all named their sons the same name. So that's why all of the information in the previous mail to distinguish which Nelson was which.

I really appreciate you distinguishing the Nelson men.
Also the Spurlock name is of indian descent.

HELP!!

Posted: 4 Aug 2003 4:34PM GMT
Valerie,

Thank you for replying to my post.

I have some info that may be helpful but it is a lot. My email is Savasnia@comcast.net
What is your email addy?

Posted: 4 Aug 2003 4:47PM GMT
I did not know the NELSON'S had plantations in Barbados but I knew they had many in various places. There are numerous NELSON descendants
I have gotten to a brick wall in my research. I received a copy of the NELSON family tree from my father in law; he received the tree from an unknown family member some years ago at a family reunion. I have fund the tree to overall correct but I have found some mistakes. I picking going through the tree carefully & trying to find what is true & correct. I'm not 100% sure my husabnd line leads back to the govenor or a branch of the govenor but I am about 75% sure it does.
The fact that this NELSON line used the same names over & over can be helpful & confusing all at the same time.

Can you tell me more about your interest in Jane SPURLOCK?

Posted: 4 Aug 2003 5:33PM GMT
Edited: 24 Apr 2004 2:38AM GMT
Surnames: Nelson
Hello; I searching for info on this Thomas NELSON: It is said that he was a relative of The Signer: Thomas Nelson.So far I've not been abel to prove that. I do have quite a bit of info on this one. Thanks Marty mce-mail@webtv.net
Thomas NELSON b. 1780 in NC or SC & Ann Parham m/abt. 1800 Moved to Indian Springs, Ga.

THOMAS NELSON
+ANN PARHAM
Children of THOMAS NELSON and ANN PARHAM
1. i. Jacob NELSON. 
1.ii. Esau NELSON.
1.iii. Virginia NELSON. 
1.iv. Noah NELSON
1.v. Hiram NELSON. 
1.vi. Parham NELSON.
1.vii. Isham NELSON, b. 1804; d. 1887
Georgia Cherokee Land Lottery, 1832
Viewing records 1-1 of 1 Matches    
Isham NELSON
Number District Name Residence Hearn's County Butts Comment 46 SEVENTH DISTRICT, SECOND SECTION, CHEROKEE
1.viii. James Meredith NELSON, b. 1807; d. 1880.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions