Search for content in message boards

Touching/Timms

Posted: 28 Feb 2013 7:44AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Touching/Timms
Looking for Johanna Touching/Timms.
Birth between 1791 and 1797. 1851 census has her born in Woodstock, and the 1861 in Gosford. Both in Oxfordshire.
In the 1851 census she is down as Baumeister. Two different birth dates.
She married John Bannister in Beckley, Oxford 4 June 1826.
The marriage is entered twice for the same date, same husband, but she is down as Touching and also as (alias) Timms.
Who were her parents, and when and where was she actually born? Any children?
Any help please.

Re: Touching/Timms

Posted: 28 Feb 2013 9:05AM GMT
The double entry could indicate that she had married before - one of the entries being her maiden name and one her first married name.
Posted: 1 Mar 2013 6:47AM GMT
Thanks Antony, I have tried both her names in marriage data
with no luck, although there were Timms in both Beckley, Headington, Gosford and Woodstock. There is nothing in the 0xford Marriage CD that resembles either.

Posted: 1 Mar 2013 8:55AM GMT
Is this information coming from a transcript, or the actual record ? It sounds like you will need to get access to the parish registers for the parishes you mention.

If Touching was her name, that should help in tracing further back because it appears to be a very unusual one (seems to occur in the West of England).

Antony
Posted: 1 Mar 2013 7:34PM GMT
Morning Antony

I have CD's of Beckley, Stanton St. John, Islip, Headington Quarry, Wheatley church registers,and this is where I have got most of my records from. My family (Bannisters) were in Stanton.St.John/Beckley in the late 17001. 1800's in Beckley. then in Headington Quarry.

Thanks for your help. Autumn started here yesterday, 1 March, with a temp. of 28C.

Cheers M.

Posted: 3 Mar 2013 10:40AM GMT
Edited: 3 Mar 2013 11:22AM GMT
Do the CDs you have contain images of the actual registers or are they just transcripts ?

When you get something unusual like this, you have to look at the original - there may be extra information that explains the double entry (that often doesn't get included in transcriptions).

Antony

Your weather sounds much nicer than ours .... just (hopefully) coming out of winter.
Posted: 3 Mar 2013 6:57PM GMT
The CD's are OFH transcripts. No images. Not living in the UK I haven't actually seen the church registers, I rely on my old school friends to puchase (suitably re-compensed) the CD's as I need them. Then check against the FBMD and Fam. Search. and Find my Past.

27-28C day after day, and no rain, gardens drying up!!.

Many thanks again for your suggestions.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions