Search for content in message boards

robinson/maryland

robinson/maryland

floyd robinson (View posts)
Posted: 7 Oct 2005 8:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: robinson
I have a Handy Robinson in the 1830 census of Dorchester Maryland. Born about 1793. would like to know where he might have been after that 1830 census

Handy ROBINSON

Posted: 20 Oct 2005 4:16PM GMT
I would think that Handy ROBINSON probably stayed in Dorchester Co., MD. Handy ROBINSON, b. ca. 1793, Dorchester Co., MD, was s/o John ROBINSON & Amelia KEENE. [R. BARNES' MD Marriages: John ROBINSON m. by Dorchester Co. license of 3 Jan. 1792, Amelia KEENE.] Handy m. 20 Aug. 1816, Dorchester Co., Elizabeth RUSSELL. (Handy, b. ca. 1793, was probably eldest son & more likely to inherit father's land).

FamilySearch database of the 1880 Census, N. W. Fork, Dorchester Co., MD: ROBINSON, Wm. H., 45; wf. Nancy, 49; ch. Wm. H., 21; Handy, 18; John, 15; Nancy E., 12; Elanora, 10; Annie E., 7; & Florence V., 4. (Was Handy, b. ca. 1862, descendant of Handy, b. ca. 1793?)

Other marriages by license of Dorchester Co., MD, ROBINSON:
George, 7 S 1785, Mary PHILLIPS
George, 25 Aug. 1800, Charlotte DEAL
Michael, 13 Apr. 1790, Jenette LEE.

The name Handy may go back to Elizabeth HADY {sic, HANDY?} & Wm. ROBINSON, m. 8 Jan. 1680, per Old Somerset on the E. Shore.

MD Marriages, Somerset Co., HANDY:
Samuel, Mar. 1679, Mary SEWELL (per Old Somerset)
Coventry Parish, HANDY: John, 3 N 1768, Prise LONG
Samuel, 9 May 1736, Betty BOLITHOR
Samuel, 15 D 1737, Mary DENNIS
Saywell, 25 F 1759, Mary Ann SUDLER
Wm., 25 Aug. 1768, Mary ROBINS.

Stepney Parish, Wicomico Co.,
Geo., eld. s/o Isaac & Ann, 9 F 1755, Nelly GILLIS
John, 25 D 1748, Ann NUTTER

MD Deponents: William ROBSON, Sr., Dorch. Co., aged 70 in 1712 [PC 860].

MD Cal/o Wills: Michael WILLIAMS, Som. Co., pr. 1 D 1699. Wit. Saml. HANDY, Sr. & Jr.

Wm. ROBINSON, Som. Co., pr. 19 Oct. 1716. To wf. Mary, & ch. Michael, Wm., John, Peter, Thomas (under 21), Joseph, Joshua, & Mary (three under 16).

Alexr. WILLSON, Som. Co., pr. 25 N 1718. Wit. Willm. & Eliza HANDY.

The name Handy ROBINSON occurs several times at
http://www.kindredkonnections.com/robinsongenealogy/ROBINSON....

You can find more Dorchester Co., MD, censuses through USGenWeb Archives > MD > Dorchester. Here's one page:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/md/dorchester/census/1840/...

Good Luck!

Re: Handy ROBINSON

floyd robinsom (View posts)
Posted: 20 Oct 2005 6:49PM GMT
Surnames: Robinson
Thank You, Marilyn. I have seen part of what you sent me and happy to get new items or ideas. My xxgrandfather is Major Robinson. I believe he was Handy's oldest son. He left Dorchester county before the 1840 census and ended up in Handcock County Illionis and raised his family there. Also I believe another Major Robinson in eastern shores that must have been a cousin. I've seen that in later years. John & Amelia keen,,, I believe are the same as burried at Robinson Neck, Taylors Island... If so they are burried under the last name Robison.. dates fit and also have a Keen family burrried there too. This cemetery was on line. who know, maybe the Handy Robinson I am looking for is burried thee too? Floyd Robinson

Major ROBINSON, b. ca. 1818, MD

Posted: 21 Oct 2005 3:48PM GMT
FamilySearch database of the 1880 Census has your Major and the other one. Have you noticed the family of the other?

Sharptown, Wicomico, MD, 1880: ROBINSON, Major A., 60, ship builder, MD MD DE; wf. Louisa T., 26 ! Ch. b. MD: Martha H., 13; Minnie E., 11; Eleanor A. M., 11 mos. [Age of Louisa and gap of a decade between Minnie & Eleanor mean that Major had married a much younger wife when he was as old as 58.]

Your Major was of Dallas, Hancock, IL, in 1880: ROBINSON, Major, 62, MD MD MD; wf. Louisa, 56, NY; ch. b. IL: John, 32; Percival, 25; Martha H., 20; & granddau. Lottee POTTER, 12. [Both Majors b. ca. 1820 m. Louisa and had dau. Martha. That should really complicate your search! The other would probably be the one who married in Maryland, though.]

Was this another son of your Major in Pontoosuc, Hancock Co., IL, 1880:
ROBINSON, Wm. H., 31, IL MD NY; wf. Mary A., 26, IL; ch. b. IL: Cyrus G., 6; Leyonettia, 4; Emma, 7 mos.

Could this be one more Major only a bit younger?
http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/il/franklin/census/1860...
Franklin Co., IL, 1860: Major ROBINSON, 29, IL, blacksmith, Malinda, 29, TN; Margret, 7, & Martha, 1.

A Google search indicates that John H. P. ROBINSON, 54 in 1850, b. VA, m. Mary "Polly" PLASTERS, b. NC; & had Major, b. Dec. 1830, who m. 29 Nov. 1849, Malinda HILLEN / HILLIN, b. July 1830. [The migratory path of your line might have included a stop in Virginia for some.]

Be sure to check indexes for Macayah and Micajah when you're looking for Major ROBI(N)SON / ROBOSSON, etc. I think the pronunciation, penmanship, and spelling were all problems in the records. I have found other spellings for your surname, but I haven't found the other spellings for Major in the ROBINSON family, just in others.

Re: Major ROBINSON, b. ca. 1818, MD

floyd robinson (View posts)
Posted: 21 Oct 2005 6:52PM GMT
I have seen these others Major Robinsons... One I believe was a cousin of the major that I'm related to. Then there is a younger major that I believe was a son to a William H. Robinson... Originally looking most for Handy Robinson because the last census I found him in, he was listed as having many children still at home. would like to find them, possibly having more names to search through. There is a John A. and then a William H.in each generation, clear up to recent years. the middle inital "A" and "H" are always involed with these names. I believe the second Major you have seen, Is a Major that married Nancy Tall according to your Maryland marriage index.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic