Search for content in message boards

Thomas Harris - Clockmaker

Thomas Harris - Clockmaker

Posted: 22 Mar 2013 12:22AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Harris
I'm looking for information on a clockmaker Thomas Harris from Oxfordshire, born in Sibford Ferris or Deddington around 1723. Married to Mary Fardon 9-20-1762, and died in 1797. I can find information on him as a clockmaker but not his parents or children. I'm hoping to link him to my family from Tysoe, Warwickshire, England and maybe a clock purchased by a relative in the late 1800's and shipped back to NY.

Re: Thomas Harris - Clockmaker

Posted: 23 Mar 2013 4:27PM GMT
Edited: 23 Mar 2013 4:40PM GMT
This site is interesting

www.deddington.org.uk/history/quakerclockmakers/johnfardon

When you go onto this it may say site unavailable but click on Deddington Online at the top lefthand and then onto History in the top bar - follow links. Lots of info re Fardon and Harris clockmakers and also parish records. Follow links through to Clockmakers > John Fardon 2 and Thomas is mentioned.

Posted: 23 Mar 2013 6:55PM GMT
Surnames: Harris
Thank you, also your directions were good I was able to navigate thru the missing pages online. My cousin has the clock from England and in a photo it looks very much like one of the "Long Clocks". The photo wasn't close enough to make out the name but it could be Harris-Dedinton at the bottom of the face. I'll have to ask someone to get me a better photo to be sure. There is some new information on these pages, I'll review. Thanks again.

Posted: 23 Mar 2013 7:46PM GMT
Glad you got there! Another site I use is the LDS site - familysearch.org usually find some info on here.

Posted: 7 Jun 2013 11:55AM GMT
I came across your thread whilst researching the Fardon family of Sibford Ferris , incidentally the family were also involved in clockmaking in north oxfordshire. The Harris family and Fardon family were connected by marriage , as were many of the Quaker families in North Oxfordshire . In the 70 's my father organised an exhibition on Quaker clockmakers in North Oxfordshire for the British Antique Dealers association . It may be of some help to you to contact him , his name is Stephen Jarrett . Regards Becky Scott

Posted: 7 Jun 2013 12:00PM GMT
Incidentally there is an exhibition of Quaker clocks on including at least one example by Thomas Harris on the 8th and 9th June 2013 in I think Adderbury meeting House . Sincerely Becky Scott

Posted: 7 Jun 2013 9:44PM GMT
Thanks, I did find out more information on the clock in the family including a label on the inside. It was not made by the Harris I was looking for but restored by Harold Harris. The clock is older than I thought, late 1700's. It was made by a Wainwright who I have not had searched for yet.

Thanks though, I wish I could be there.

Posted: 7 Jun 2013 9:51PM GMT
Thanks. I did see a connection from the Fardon and Ashby families as well. My family is from Thomas Harris and Elizabeth Ashby and I did see where Thomas Harris married the Fardon but I could not link that Harris to the Harris family I know. The name is common enough it's difficult to sort them out. I was always told the clock was made by a Harris relative but once I was able to get more information I can see it was only restored by a Harris. It's a much older clock however which is nice. Thanks again.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions