Search for content in message boards

Foreign Blood in Oxfordshire (Chinnor) pre 1840s - Haplogroup J1

Foreign Blood in Oxfordshire (Chinnor) pre 1840s - Haplogroup J1

Posted: 28 Mar 2013 2:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Mar 2013 11:51PM GMT
I have traced my maternal line back to the Sarah Keen in Chinnor, Oxfordshire.

I am wondering about whether there is any history of foreign settlers in Chinnor and the surrounding area? My maternal line are dark skinned with lighter eyes. Did missionaries from France/Spain/Italy settle in the area?

I know that Chinnor is on the route of the Icknield Way which predates the Romans, suggesting that many people must have passed through the area.

A DNA test has revealed that my maternal haplogroup is a subclade of the J1 haplogroup.

Tracing the maternal line is difficult because of the lack of continuity of a surname.

Does anyone know who Sarah Keen's mother was?

I will post again with her birth date.

Many Thanks

Re: Foreign Blood in Oxfordshire (Chinnor) pre 1840s - Haplogroup J1

Posted: 28 Mar 2013 2:46PM GMT
Sarah Keen was born in 1806 or 1811 depending on the 1841 or 1851 census. Married to John Witney so obviously recorded in married life as Sarah Witney.

Posted: 28 Mar 2013 4:22PM GMT
Edited: 28 Mar 2013 4:35PM GMT
The 1841 census is consistent with her being born abt. 1806 (ages over 15 are rounded down to the nearest 5).

Have you located the parish in which they were married, or looked for baptisms in Chinnor ?

Chinnor also borders onto Buckinghamshire, so it may be necessary to look at the adjacent parishes in that county.

Posted: 28 Mar 2013 11:47PM GMT
Ah,that explains the date of birth discrepancy between the two census records. Interesting to know, thanks.

I can't seem to find the marriage, I will search again.

Baptisms in Chinnor - a general search isn't showing results for that, would I have to search for it specifically?

Yes, you're right, will look under Buckinghamshire too.

Many thanks for your help and replying so quickly.

Posted: 29 Mar 2013 10:58AM GMT
The baptism registers for Chinnor are not available online as far as I know - and the LDS don't seem to have them filmed for the period you want.

They should be available at the Oxford History Centre, or you could try the Oxfordshire family history society.

Posted: 29 Mar 2013 12:46PM GMT
Shall plan a visit to the Oxfordshire History Centre. Thanks for letting me know.

Antony, you know a lot about family history, have you had your DNA tested? I wonder how long it will be until researchers quote their haplogroups as a matter of course on these forums?

I'm wondering whether some of the haplogroups are as unusual as they say, or if the sample sizes they have used have just not reflected distributions accurately.

There is an American company, who are offering tests for $99 at the moment but few in the UK seem to be aware of it.

Posted: 29 Mar 2013 1:18PM GMT
I research professionally and regularly visit all the archives in/around London (including Oxford and Buckinghamshire).

For me, DNA has its place as a useful extra tool in some areas of research, particularly Y-DNA in male lines and one name studies - but I don't personally find the subject of haplogroups and "deep" ancestry that interesting...so I haven't had my own DNA tested yet , maybe I will one day !

Posted: 29 Mar 2013 6:50PM GMT
I used to think knowing one’s haplogroup was limited in its usefulness but fun to know what 'tribe' one has descended from.

What is relevant to family history is the ‘relative finder’. I have been told how many cousins I have, whether they are first - fifth cousins and I can look at each person’s listed surnames, some have listed 50 surnames and the areas of UK common to their family. If I have a 4th cousin on there and can see a surname on there that we share in the past, I can email them and ask them more. It also aggregates the 10 most common surnames from your ‘cousins’.

I think that it’s probably at its most insightful for people who are adopted or illegitimate, as they can find cousins and by process of elimination, sometimes work out who their direct relatives are. It is odd to log on and see that the number of cousins has grown to over 500, where they live and what surnames they’ve listed and put on a family tree.

Good to know your opinion on it!

Posted: 30 Mar 2013 8:29PM GMT
Surnames: Keen
I couldn' find a baptism for Sarah in the Chinnor part of the OFH CD, in your date range, but her marriage to John Witney is there dated 26 July 1828;witnesses: Wm Witney and Ann Hester.
In passing, Edmund Keen married Ann Heyburn on the same place, same day. Their witnesses were Thomas Heybonn(!) and Joane Bennell.

The Chinnor records also have the marriage of Charles Keen to Hannah King, 12 0ct. 1828.

There were Keen, Kean, Keene and Kenna in CHinnor from the late 1500's.

Posted: 31 Mar 2013 12:36AM GMT
Thank you very much Margaret. That is very kind of you to search for me. Interesting to know how long the Keens have been in Chinnor for!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic