Search for content in message boards

Edward I & II & William Holmes

Edward I & II & William Holmes

Posted: 3 Feb 2008 6:11AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Holmes, Millar, Stanforth
i have been trying to research my fathers family tree and seem to have come to a dead end in many ways, my father Brian Holmes born in benwell, newcastle 1935 moved to wells somerset, his father Robert Holmes born 1911 in Benwell, Newcastle, his father Edward Holmes born 1885 Belford, Newcastle married a Mary Ann Millar, his father again Edward Holmes born 1848 Egton yorkshire, married a Bridget Jane ? ( i have the sons birth cert but cant make sense of bridgets maiden name) i seem to have a twenty year gap in the census from 1871 & 1881 for both spouses, i think Edwards father is William Holmes born 1818 sunbury middlesex married to a Mary Stanforth, she was from yorkshire. i can not find anybirth or marriage docs relating to this or anything previous, if anyone has any additional info it would be much appreciated as i am thinking of getting a member of the family to do a DNA test which is not cheap.

I am told that Robert Holmes had his fathers business passed down to him which was fruit and veg and coal merchant as he was the only son, unfortunetly robert holmes was a compolsive gambler and gambled this business and lost as well as many other things. He had 2 sisters Mary Holmes & Sarah J Holmes, Also i am told a close relative in the late 1800's early 1900' got his bycycle stuck on a tram line and was killed in newcastle

Re: Edward I & II & William Holmes

Posted: 3 Feb 2008 9:20AM GMT
YOu could post a section of Edward(1885)'s birth cert here for us to see what we make of Bridget Jane's surname(I notice she is down as just Jane and from Ireland on the 1891 census)

Or you could pay £7 and get his sister Matilda's birth cert to see if mum's surnme is any clearer on that.

Births Jun 1883

HOLMES Matilda Berwick 10b page 389

Carol

Posted: 3 Feb 2008 10:53AM GMT
Classification: Census
I still can't see 1848 born Edward on the 1871 census but I do have his parents- they are back in Egton Bridge.

William Holmes head 52 signal man B Middlesex
Mary Holmes wife 54 b Ogton Yorkshire
William Holmes son 18 unm labourer b Malton Yorkshire
Thomas G M Holmes son 10 scholar b Northshields Northumberland.

RG10; Piece: 4845; Folio: 7; Page: 7

Carol

Posted: 3 Feb 2008 10:58AM GMT
Can you make anything at all out, on the maiden name of Bridget Jane. She appears to be knowby the christian name of Jane, and The 1881 census, shows a jane Contigan, living in Tynemouth as a servant, as follows: -
Just wondering if this could be her, long shot I know.

Name: Jane Contigan
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1853
Relation: Servant
Where born: Ireland

Civil Parish: Tynemouth
County/Island: Northumberland

Street address: 4 Northd Terrac

Registration district: Tynemouth
Sub-registration district: Tynemouth

Posted: 3 Feb 2008 11:31AM GMT
Classification: Census
I presume you have them in 1861?

RG9; Piece: 3842; Folio: 96; Page: 30

In 1851 they are in Norton Yorkshire.

HO107; Piece: 2369; Folio: 339; Page: 35

On the 1851 and 61 censuses there is a step daughter(daughter in law they are often called back then!) called Ann E Boyes.

On Free BMD there is a marriage if a Mary Ann Boyes ont he same page as a William Holmes.Mar 1847 ref Whitby volume 24 page 565.

And in March 1841 a Mary Standforth is on the same page as Richard Boyes ref Whitby 24 493.

And this might be his death.....

Deaths Jun 1845

BOYES Richard Whitby 24 343

Hope all that helps !

Regards

Carol

Posted: 3 Feb 2008 1:09PM GMT
wow did not expect replies so soon, i've included a snipet of Bridget Jane, i have like you say got cesus's for which all you have listed, i have william listed in 41-91 cenus's, i have looked everywhere for a parish record birth and marriage for william hoping to find out who is father is but i cant seem to find anything, as for Edward I & Bridget they are missing in 71 & 81 census but i found a record stating Edward Holmes joined the rifle volunteers in 1868 he was a leutenant so perhaps they both served in the army and had a armed force marriage

Posted: 3 Feb 2008 1:10PM GMT
hi i have replied in the above thread

Posted: 3 Feb 2008 1:17PM GMT
i forgot the snipet, here it is
Attachments:

Posted: 3 Feb 2008 1:17PM GMT
HI Sarah,

There is no attachment to your posting!

Now you have the reference for William's marriage to Mary Ann Boyes nee Standforth you can get the cert,that should tell you who his father was.

Regards

Carol

Posted: 3 Feb 2008 1:20PM GMT
I would hazard a guess at Ritchie,but it's not too clear is it.Maybe as she came from Ireland,he met and married her over there?

Carol
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions