Search for content in message boards

John BUTLER, b. abt. 1760 VA -- Revolutionary War Veteran

John BUTLER, b. abt. 1760 VA -- Revolutionary War Veteran

Posted: 4 Feb 2005 1:35AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Sep 2005 4:35PM GMT
Looking for parents/siblings of John Butler born in VA about 1760 who served in the Revolutionary War with Robert Rankin in the VA Continental Line. His oldest son William was born in what became Logan County KY in 1786 and the family was in Christian Co KY in the 1810 Census. John and wife Mary Ann Jones moved to Mississippi Territory (AL) in 1815 and he died in Wayne Co MS in 1820. John Butler's children were : William 1786, Ruth 1788, Frances 1790, Susannah 1794, Elizabeth 1798, Landon 1800, Margaret 1802, Burnell 1806, and Martha 1809. Trying to determine which of 5 Virginia Butler families he was part of.

Re: John BUTLER

Henry Swain (View posts)
Posted: 22 Feb 2005 5:59PM GMT
I would be interested in the locations of the five Virginia Butlers' you mentioned. I have Virginia Butlers' on my Mother's side. They were from Northumberland and Westmoreland Counties.

Re: John BUTLER -- Revolutionary War Veteran

Posted: 20 Jun 2008 6:05PM GMT
Surnames: Butler, Ball, Martin
To add a little more confusion to this issue, I also have a John Butler in the Revolutionary War of similar age and service but different children. According to his application for pension generated in Laurens County SC in 1818, he was 56 years old, served in the VA Continental Line (second regiment) and was present at the battles of Eutaw Springs, Guildford Courthouse, Camden and the Siege of Ninety Six. He was released from service in Salisbury NC and went to live not far from Ninety Six in Laurens County SC.

My John Butler married Betty Griffin and had, among others, son Anthony Griffin Butler "AG". AG married Elisabeth Ball, daughter of William (Williamson) Ball, another RV veteran and Sarah Martin. Dr. Joseph Druse, late noted genealogist, had this Williamson Ball connected to the Northern Neck families, which included Mary Ball Washington, Burgess Ball and George Washington, all descended from William Butler and Hannah Atherold.

John Butler, William Ball and Sarah Martin's family (descendants of original Germanna Colony in Fauquier, Orange and Culpeper Counties) all lived near each other in Laurens County, intermarried and later migrated with each other to Dekalb County GA and TX.

So while my John Butler is not the one you described, it is quite likely, through intermarrying families, that he is connected to the Northern Neck Butlers. If anyone interested in this John Butler, I can provide information on his descendants.

Since about 3 years have gone by since these postings, perhaps someone has come upon something new.

William BUTLER, b. 1792 SC - married Francis WARD

Posted: 4 Jul 2008 3:35PM GMT
I would very much like to compare notes with you. My ancestor William Butler who married Frances Ward was born in SC in about 1792 as per 1860 Census in Lauderdale County Ms. Many family connects are in North Carolina in about 1750. Have done much research trying to find his ancestry. Thanks for being willing to share. My email is bjs020442@aol.com

Billie Sutton Smith

Re: John BUTLER, b. abt. 1760 VA -- Revolutionary War Veteran

Posted: 4 Jul 2008 5:11PM GMT
Surnames: Butler
Who are the 5 Virginia Butler families? Who are the original ancestor for these families?

Re: John BUTLER of NC

Posted: 5 Jul 2008 5:47AM GMT
I am a decendent of John Butler of North Carolina. I live in Wayne County MS and will help you if I can.

Re: William BUTLER

Posted: 6 Jul 2008 12:19PM GMT
Thanks for the offer to share and help. My William was born 1792 in SC and was married to Frances Ward born about 1800. I have looked at many Butler namees in South Carolina trying to find the one who fits. There are a few places that perhaps would fit, but no proof so far on them.

My ancestry also has the name of Kornegay and just this week have found a connection through the name of Needham Bryan of that family to the family of James Moore in SC and to the name of John Yeamans. This of course is leaving about a three generation gap in my tree on the name of Butler. I feel like there is a Christopher Butler son of a Christopher Butler in a land deed in 1717 in North Carolina that connects to the family. Also in my family are connections to the name of Irby and Rainer. So I don't exactly know what to add that might spark some connection. I can add more info about what I know if you like.

William Butler had sons Richard Franklin Butler who married Louisa Tennessee Rainer, born 1840 in Tennessee. Their son George Henry Butler born Ms in 1866 married Louisa Kornegay.

The family of Kornegay was around Anson, Onslow or Caswell County NC. Her family was Lewis William Kornegay married to Anna Harte, Lewis was the son of Issac Kornegay and Hestrer Harget. Issac the son of William Kornegay and Elizabeth Outlaw. Elizabeth Outlaw was the son of Edward Outlaw and Patience Whitfield. Patience was the daughter of William Whitfield and Rachel Bryan. Rachel Bryan was the Child of Needham Bryan.

Re: John BUTLER of NC

Posted: 6 Jul 2008 1:35PM GMT
None of the lines you mention are connected to my Butler line. However, I will go to the library and try to track down some of your John Butler family here in Wayne County.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic