Search for content in message boards

info please on town of Whitetop, the Mtn & Baldwin Cem

info please on town of Whitetop, the Mtn & Baldwin Cem

Posted: 10 Aug 2004 7:55AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 3 Oct 2004 5:12AM GMT
Surnames: Brown Baldwin Osborne Sullivan Shoemaker
Does anyone have an old map that shows close up detail of the town and the mtn. At some point my ancestors owned and operated a hotel, hardware store, and a sawmill in or near the town or mtn. George Brown born 1846 (wife Anna Osborne) and their son, Martin "Greene" Brown born 1869 and his wife Alice (Baldwin)--were all born in Ashe Co, NC.
The family business was apparently confiscated when Martin got caught by the revenuers hiding bootleg whisky behind the lumber in the railroad cars. Does anybody know of any history or newspaper accounts of this (probably in the 1920s) ? Were there any homes or businesses or RR lines on the mtn during the early 1900s ? Does anybody know where the Baldwin Cemetery is located in relationship to the town of Whitetop or is it on the mtn ? Thanks for any information

Re: info please on town of Whitetop, the Mtn & Baldwin Cem

Posted: 12 Aug 2004 3:33PM GMT
Dan,
There are two Baldwin Cemeteries listed on the following website. http://www.ls.net/~newriver/va/grayson.htm. The William D. Baldwin Family Cemetery and the
William M. Baldwin Cemetery. Both seem to be in or near Whitetop. Hope this helps.

Posted: 12 Aug 2004 5:35PM GMT
Edited: 3 Oct 2004 5:12AM GMT
Hi Crystal

I'm hoping to get a copy of a map of the town of Whitetop and or surrounding area that shows the streets and roads and the Mtn. My father and some relatives are from Whitetop and i would like to see what the town looked like and maybe find their old house. Would also like pictures of my ancestors headstones.

Are you a volunteer lookup for that area ?

Dan Brown

McMinnville, OR

Posted: 7 Jan 2013 5:07AM GMT
Edited: 7 Jan 2013 5:07AM GMT
Surnames: Greer, Taylor, Buchanan, Pennington
I dont have an old map, however I recently seen a photograph of the Whitetop Hotel. I have lived only a stones throw from the Whitetop Station and never did i know that once a hotel was just across the road. I would love any history you may have also. I am posting the link with the photo, people are also in the picture..maybe your family!
Kim Greer
http://vacreepertrailphotos.com/galleries.htm
per page

Find a board about a specific topic