Looking for info on Thomas Jefferson Payne
of Cherokee, Co. NC. Lived in the
Shoal Creek community. Military records
show he found in the civil war with
the Tennessee Cavalry.

Thomas Jefferson Payne

Posted: 29 Jan 2000 8:33PM GMT
Edited: 30 Jul 2002 12:56AM GMT
Thomas Jefferson Payne (1796) married Catherine Keever , moving to NC around 1810-1820. Children Henry Willis (1817) Thomas Jefferson II (1823). Thomas and Catherine buried at Old Mt. Pleasants Cemetary

Thomas Jefferson Payne

Posted: 29 Jan 2000 9:10PM GMT
Edited: 27 Nov 2001 2:39AM GMT
Thanks for your response. This would not be
the right one unless it's his son. Mine would
have been born around 1830+. His wife's name
was Rebecca and they had two children:
James Oliver and Thomas Jefferson. Census
records show that Rebecca came from Knox Co.,
Ky with parents from Virginia and Maryland.

Jeff
jspayne@arches.uga.edu

Re: Thomas Jefferson Payne,NC

shirley hamby (View posts)
Posted: 4 Sep 2004 1:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
would like to share what info i have on thomas jefferson payne
i think he is the thomas i have some union civil war papers on where he made statement for my miles c. payne,
i woulld like to have copies of his civil war records,
with out a doubt we are kin shirley hamby

jeff payne (View posts)
Posted: 4 Sep 2004 2:57PM GMT
I hope this is the same one! I've been trying to find info. on him for more than 10 yrs. without anything showing up. My Thomas J. Payne first shows up in the 1860 census with his mother Rebecca and brother James. Hi is listed again in the 1880 census of Cherokee Co. also with his wife Jane and daughter Martha. There is no info. on the father. Census records show that Rebecca Payne came from Knox Co. Ky. His brother James was my great grandfather. The family lived in the Shoal Creek area of Cherokee Co.

I discovered later there was another Thomas Payne who lived at Persimmon Creek. I hope you're related to mine and not the other!

Where do you live? My family still lives in Blue Ridge, GA.

Jeff

I also

jeff payne (View posts)
Posted: 4 Sep 2004 3:07PM GMT
Just looked over my original post. That may have been for his father. Do you have names of his wife and children to verify if this is the same one? At any rate, I believe I have at least his military records, but I'm not sure about his pension papers.

Jeff

Posted: 4 Sep 2004 5:05PM GMT
well there is and thomas jefferson payne b 1836 that married elizabeth johnson lived at persimmin creek,
they had a large family and i can name them.
could this be the thomas j, payne ,

i am thinking this family goes back to lewis payne,

shirley payne hamby (View posts)
Posted: 4 Sep 2004 5:36PM GMT
jeff, now i dont know, please tell me was thomas j, union are csa, they were so many thomas j paynes in cherokee co nc,in the 1850\60/80-----so on my miles c, payne spoke of thomas j payne at persimmon creek i think he was the post master there,
i do see in 1860 census that rebecca payne 25 yrs, was listed with thomas james 4 months old and it said see john burgess! did you see this, could rebecca have been a burgess,
the thomas j, and eliz, johnson payne list 1860 census said see david johnson,
miles c, payne was the son of my daniel j, payne and elizabeth walker payne,
miles served in the union army tn,

in 1860 census you will see mary payne she was wife of elsbury payne their childern were catherine 16-- thomas 15-- elizabeth13--- elender 8--- sarah 7,
thomas married margaret lydia nee gay, and lived beech creek, was a saw miller and had a grist mill ,
moma says we are kin threw these paynes,
sorry to ramble on but all these paynes were in cherokee co nc and i'll bet are kin if we can just figure it out,
i will ask have you did DNA--fpr your paynes
two of my payne lines did DNA ha he may help you to match your paynes, tell me what you think shirley thehams@tds.net i live in canton ga

Jeff Payne (View posts)
Posted: 4 Sep 2004 8:19PM GMT
No, I don't think I'm related to this Thomas J. Payne. Mine was the one who was living with the Burgess family in 1860. When I get time I'll go through my military records and see if I can find what I have on the Thomas J. Payne at Persimmon Creek.

This has been so frustrating for that I'm going to have to hire a professional research to help me out on this. My Payne family came from Kentucky and I think the answer lies there.

Jeff

Posted: 5 Sep 2004 10:36AM GMT
JEFF--- i dont know eather but let me know when you read the service records,
i will tell you i have paynes that left cherokee co nc and lived in morgon co tn and later the family went to ky,
some are still living there in sterns ky and onida tn,
i email you again untill i hear from you,
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions