Search for content in message boards

Glengarry Settlers

Glengarry Settlers

Posted: 18 Jun 2010 4:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McDonell
Dear Cousins,Aunts, Nieces, Nephews and anyone I might be missing from the Allan Joseph McDonell clan from Scotland who migrated to Glengarry Canada. I have a complete family history dating back to when our families were just clans thanks to one of our cousins from NY by the name of Gregory F. Cesar. I HAVE ALL THE FAMILY DIRT! I can be reached at malegail@live.com or 1-707-456-9204. I will be happy to fill you in on any information I have! By the way, I'm Gail Grancsay and my grandmother on my father's side was a McDonell.

Re: Glengarry Settlers

Posted: 19 Jun 2010 6:17PM GMT
Hi Gail: what an offer!!
Do you have the lineage of the Big Bishop? Bishop Alexander McDonell?? I have McDonells in my family, just curious about being related to him.Thanks, Pat Hermann.

Posted: 20 Jun 2010 1:24AM GMT
Surnames: McDonells
Hi Patricia! I was thrilled to have an answer from someone so fast looking for McDonells also. The genealogy I have dates back to the early 1700's. There are about 8 Alexanders that I count in just what I have, but I see no Hermans, but that doesn't mean you weren't part of the Glengarry settlers. In my geneology is says that the clans in the Glengarry migrations were: MacDonells, McMillans, these two groups the largest of the migration. McPhees, McMartins, McLeods, McKenzies, McLennans, Grants, MacDonalds, Chisholms, Cameron, Campbell,Fraser,Kelly Kennedy,MacAlister,MacConnell,McCauley,MacAlear, MacArthur, MacCoy,MacDougald,McGregor, MaGillivray,MacGuire, MacGillis, McGinnis, McLellan, MacIntosh, MacKinnon, MacLean, MacPhail MacPherson, MacQueen, MacRae, MacLaughlin, Scott, Stuart. I hope you don't feel discouraged! I know this is a lot of info to go through, but you're in there somewhere. There were at least 8 Alexanders I counted in my line. By the way, one of the Alexanders was murdered by the Indians in British Vancouver. Bet you didn't know that! Keep searching. If you get hung up and I can help, please let me know. I can send you a copy of this geneology that does contain more information (honestly the damn thing is so long I don't want to read every page.) My telephone number is 1-707-456-9204. I hate answering machines, so if you get no answer, please call back.
Kindest regards,
Gail A. Grancsay

Posted: 20 Jun 2010 4:47AM GMT
Don't have time tonight, but I am descendant of Angus Ban MacDonald of Munial Farm, Scotland who left in 1786 in the Ship MacDonald. His wife was Mary MacDonell. Her father was John MacDonell of Arnabee, Scotland.
Alexander McDonell of Scotus was a priest, who brought the MacDonalds of Glengarry to Canada. He became the first Bishop of Canada and founded many churches in Ontario.
I believe John MacDonell of Arnabee UEL, was the half brother to Bishop MacDonell but I can't verify this.
If your charts go back to the late 1700's with the house of Scotus, this would be really helpful.
thanks so much.

Pat Hermann.
PS Hermann is my married name.
My mother is a MacDonald.

Posted: 20 Jun 2010 10:31AM GMT
HI PAT! THIS IS GOING TO BE A GOOD MORNING FOR YOU, BECAUSE I FOUND YOUR MAN THIS MORNING AT 3AM. THERE IS SO MUCH INFO THAT I CAN NOT TYPE IT ALL OUT FOR YOU SO HERE'S HOW TO GET TO THE MESSAGE BOARD.

START ON ANCESTRY.COM MESSAGE BOARD {DOESN'T COST}. AT TOP OF PAGE IS SERIES OF TABS, TYPE COLLABORATE. THEN WHEN PROMPTED, TYPE: SCOTUS, ALL BOARDS. YOU WILL FIND 23 MESSAGES ON THIS BOARD ALL ABOUT, SCOTUS. START WITH THE 3RD MESSAGE DOWN AND YOU'RE GOING TO BE ONE BUSY LADY! HAVE FUN AND I WAS GLAD I COULD HELP. IF YOU NEED, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME: malegail@live.com. Also, my phone number is 707-456-9204. If you would like to have some fun, type in my last name Grancsay with first name, Steven and you will be amazed! This would be my granduncle, but he raised my dad so he's more of a grandfather. If you like knights in shining armour (absolutely not kidding) you will love this. ENJOY!
Gail Ann Grancsay
PS. Please let me know how it turns out!

Posted: 23 Jun 2010 4:15PM GMT
Hi Gail, I am the Glengarry Genweb Host as well as a genealogist for Clan Donald International, and Finlaggan Councillor. I am interested in knowing more about your faliy line - I am working on an intitiative involving all cadet families of Clan Donald. Would love to see a sample. As for Father Alexander Macdonell, he did not become a Bishop - that was his successor who happened to be of the same cadet family (Scotus). I have both genealogies.

Regards,

Evelyn Goulet, Castle Tioram,
Finlaggan Councillor
Clan Donald International

Posted: 23 Jun 2010 9:18PM GMT
Surnames: MacDonald, McDonnel
Hi Evelyn,
I would be interested in learning more about your "initiative involving all cadet families of Clan Donald"? What does "cadet" mean in this context?

I have traced my McDonell/MacDonald roots in Glengarry County to before 1800 and this is where I'm stopped. It's possible that my ancestors came from Scotland on the ship MacDonald or first to the US and then to Glengarry after the Revolutionary War.

My biggest challenge is sorting out the names. Everybody is a McDonell or MacDonald and the given names are all Allans, Johns, Archibalds, Alexanders. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Linda MacDonald

PS. I am a member of Clan Donald Canada (Glengarry Branch)

Posted: 23 Jun 2010 11:21PM GMT
I'm a member of Clan Donald - Glengarry as well. Cadet families are branches of Macdonald lineage, often the younger sons of a senior line such as Glengarry would obtain their own wadsets (leases) and the families decended from them would be known by the name of the property. Due to the heraldry conventions at the time, most cadet lines required a male descendant for the title to pass down. Examples of Cadet names are Lundie, Ardnamurchan, Leek, Greenfield, Scotus, Ardnabie, Sandaig, Shian ... there are about 115 cadet lines, many of which 'died out'. With immigration possibly some families thought to have died out have descendants in Canada that can prove their genealogical connection.

As to spellings, I totally understand. I have to check at least 4 variations when working with Mc/Macdonalds/ells.

My suggestion is to provide any specifics you can on the original Glengarry settling ancestor, lot # or nickname, military service, vitals and spousal info ...

There is a story now unfolding about a group that tried to immigrate to NY to join family that had earlier arrived on the Pearl, on a ship called the Glasgow Packet, but the ship was boarded by British Recruiters and the males were basically impressed into the BRitish Army, their families being shipped to Nova Scotia (or PEI) for the duration. Some people on the Macdonald in 1786 were returning to North America after their experience with the American Revolution. Many were captured (ie. Moore's Creek) by the Americans and paroled in exchange returning to Scotland in most cases for the balance of the war. The other UEL's came directly into the counties in abt 1786, although some are said to have arrived earlier.

Good luck,
Evelyn Goulet, Castle Tioram
Finlaggan Councillor
Clan Donald International

Posted: 5 Feb 2012 11:29PM GMT
Gail, I have an Alexander MacDonald who married a Margaret Scott. They had 2 sons named John. One was named after Margaret Scotts brother John Scott who was in Australia but made his way back to Glengarry and the other was named after Alexander's father who was a John. John Scott was a Commisary general in Halifax for a time. Alexander did not come with margaret Scott to Canada as he died before 1848. Margaret Scott remarried another McDonald named Samuel in Canada. Margaret Scott also had a daughter named Ann. She also married a MacDonald.
Do you have any information ?
carolbrine@hotmail.com
carolbrine@hotmail.com

Posted: 25 Jun 2012 8:44PM GMT
Since posting I found out my Ann who was daughter of Margaret Scott and Alexander MacDonald married Ronald McDonald of St. Polycarpe. He was the son of Ronald and Mary McDonald. Margaret Scott remarried Samuel McDonald from Sandaig, Glenleg, Scotland Kilmoniveg Parish and came to Arnprior 1n 1852. Margaret Scott's son John MacDonald married Isabella McGillivray. Some of the family is listed in James and Deborah McDonald's "Ranald the Calf" family tree posted on the Glengarry Genweb.

Penelope McDonell daughter of Archibald McDonell and Nancy Anna McMillan who married John Ranald McDonald was a godparent to Margaret Scott and Samuel McDonald's son Duncan who married Julia Keyes. Samuel and Duncan are listed as being McDonnells. Duncan was baptized at Port du Fort. If anyone has information on these people I would love to hear from you!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions