Search for content in message boards

Concord Methodist Church Cemetery in Lee Co., NC?

Concord Methodist Church Cemetery in Lee Co., NC?

Posted: 27 Dec 2011 4:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for this cemetery that supposedly is in Cape Fear Twp. I am researching a burial that supposedly took place there in 1906. Thanks.

Re: Concord Methodist Church Cemetery in Lee Co., NC?

Posted: 29 Dec 2011 5:18AM GMT
Surnames: Jones, Ragland, Yarborough, McCormick
Hi, yes, the ruins of the graveyard and Church are located on Buckhorn Road here in Broadway. What family or grave are you looking for. I have been there and the tombstones are really in bad shape and hard to make the letters out but know the location of my family members that are buried there.
Charlotte Jones Harrington

Posted: 29 Dec 2011 5:37AM GMT
Charlotte; Thank you for your quick reply. I am looking for a Lonnie Thomas, son of Henderson Bennett Thomas. His dates are supposed to be 2/20/1889 - 1906. I don't understand why he is where he is, all alone, when the majority of the Thomas family is either in Baptist Chapel or Broadway Town Cemetery. Am I to understand that this is a defunct church and cemetery? Do you know what happened to cause its demise?

Posted: 29 Dec 2011 7:11AM GMT
Hi, yes, this Church was created back in the 1800's before the town of Broadway was started in 1870. This Church (the way a crow flies) is not far from the Cape Fear River at all. Most of the original settlers were close to the river or not far. As time went on, they moved further out toward Broadway. The Church was no longer used after the members built a new Church in the town of Broadway and named it Broadway United Methodist Church. This took place in the early 1900's, maybe 1908?? It is late, cannot remember but can verify later, but my Great Grandfather and Great Grandmother Baldwin Henderson Jones and Elizabeth Sarah Ann Ragland Jones are buried there (1902 and 1908)Again, guessing at the dates right now along with a son, Robert Henderson Jones. There are others buried there, Rossers, that were kin to my Jones family and there is a separate grave site across the dirt road and it is the Knight family. I am sorry, I do not have any info on your ancestor but MOST of all the Thomas family are buried at Broadway Cemetery because, originally it was the Thomas Cemetery, or at least that is what I have been told all these years. Email me directly, and maybe I can help you out, I have some books and other resources here that I can look and see. What is your name? or at least a first name, is it Daffy? just email me at charlottejonesharrington@yahoo.com and I will see what i can find. I dont check these message boards often....Also, my great great grandmother was Rebecca jane Hinesley! I noticed you were looking for them as well :) Blessings, Charlotte

Posted: 16 Jun 2012 12:20AM GMT
Edited: 16 Jun 2012 12:21AM GMT
I was just reading the Lee County queries. I belong to the Genealogical and Historical Society. I saw your query and checked on Findagrave and there is a picture of the tombstone of Lonnie Thomas, birth 1889 and death 1908, in the Broadway town cemetery.
Lois
per page

Find a board about a specific topic