Search for content in message boards

Social Security Death Index Search

Social Security Death Index Search

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 1:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
i have read that the social security death index has some records as early as 1937 but they are just not in the database. is there someone to contact to look for a death record from 1940?

Re: Social Security Death Index Search

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 4:50PM GMT
I’m not related to any member of this family.

Order the death cert. directly from the county clerks
office. Parents names + birthplaces should be stated.

Try this site for death records – FREE SITE
Social Security Death Index = FREE, Searchable = ALL STATES
• * * * * This index features individuals who died after 1960. * * * * * *
• The Social Security Administration does not have information about people who died before about 1940 when Social Security payments were first paid out. The SSDI has very few entries for people who died from 1940-1961.

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 7:51PM GMT
What state and exact date are you looking for - If we have a name, we may be able to point you to another source.

Posted: 24 Nov 2012 2:05PM GMT
James Franklin McCoy died February 21, 1940, Cannelton, Fayette County, West Virginia. I do already have his death cert, but was hoping if he had a social security number that I could find out who his parents were. I am currently stuck on him (I do have parents listed, but cannot prove if they are correct) as I do not know for sure what state he was born in because it varies between different census/other records from Ohio to W Virginia. I don't know if he even had a SSN or not, but was hoping if he did that his parents would be listed on the application (if that is something I can even look up if he had one). thanks

Posted: 24 Nov 2012 6:17PM GMT
Edited: 24 Nov 2012 6:18PM GMT
You can request a lookup from social security, usually the catch is if you can't prove someone has died, but you do have his death certificate. It costs around 29.00 and they won't refund it if they don't find it. It also depends if he was working age when social security came into being, the early 1930's.
I just looked at his death certificate online. It says he was 84, so it is very doubtful he applied for social security.
I will keep looking around and see what I can find. What was his wife's name?

Posted: 24 Nov 2012 7:10PM GMT
Here is his obit, if you don't have it
Charleston Gazette, February 22, 1940, Page 6
James Franklin McCoy

James Franklin McCoy, 84, died last night at his home at Cannelton after a long illness. His body was removed to the B C Hooper Mortuary at Montgomery.
Surviving are his wife, Mrs. Anna Mae McCoy; four sons, S.A. McCoy, South Charleston, O; J.W. McCoy, Charleston; R.P. and C.O. McCoy of Cannelton; a daughter, Mrs. Cora Harris of Buffalo.

Posted: 25 Nov 2012 10:35PM GMT
thanks, but i did have the obit. at this point i am not sure where to go in my search for his parents. if you have any thoughts, let me know. i wish it would have mentioned parents or siblings in the obit, back to the search.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions